Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

That's the "nice" thing about Nintendo first party games - never have to worry about missing a bargain or waiting for a discount. 😒 Also, there uses to be 3 for 2 kinda sales on physical games on Amazon etc, but haven't seen one of those in ages. And still no discounted Nintendo selects for Switch games.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,160 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

The facial animations in Baldur's Gate are brilliant (Well, the majority of them. There are some funky ones, mainly for the player character). I'm used to bland talking heads with limited animation like Mass Effect, Horizon, Assassin's Creed, Fallout, Starfield etc. BG3 is new bar for that open world/dialogue tree/talking head genre of game.

Gale especially. I love that guy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Looking like Mario Wonder is game of the year material. I can't keep up with all these incredible games this year. Also like how two of the review sites Bethesda are afraid of are front and centre.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,390 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Definitely feels like the first time in a while I'm really struggling to keep up with the pace of major games releasing. Usually there are a lot of games but only a few *really, really good* games, but yeah at the moment the time just isn't really there to keep up with all the games I'd like to be playing.

Haven't even had a chance to boot up Armoured Core 6 yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,567 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Baldur's Gate 3 wasn't even on my radar as a game I'd be playing, and I ended up putting about 100 hours into it. Thankfully Mortal Kombat 1 ended up being a bit of a dud that hasn't held my interest.

Now I'm struggling to finish off Lies Of P before Spider-Man 2 comes out, after which I might try get back to Armoured Core 6. Still interested in Lords Of The Fallen but want to check out a few more reviews and gameplay videos first. Lies Of P seems to be the better game of the two in most regards.

• Advertisement

Nintendo just keep on giving huge AAA gifts on Switch. Switch is definitely peak Nintendo. Microsoft must just look at the cover of Super Mario Wonder and weep.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,390 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

BG3 has become like a From-soft game for me, in that I don't really want to play anything else until I finally finish it off. The end game is very much in sight (I've hit level 12), but between main quests and character quests I could have 10-20 hours left to play, easily. Hopefully will finish it by the end of the month at least.

I feel the big time sink games like that and Zelda have really had a hit on the indie games I've had a chance to play this year. I'm interested in Alan Wake (reviews pending), Spider-Man and now especially Mario Wonder, but also have lots of smaller games I'd like to put some time into when I'm finished with BG3. And that's with Armoured Core also waiting to be played, and Octopath Traveller 2 still in its wrapping.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,018 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

A few years ago we had the Doom/Animal Crossing simultaneous release leading to all the pictures and videos, this year we had Barbieheimer in the cinema. So with this Friday's releases, where are the Spider-Man 2/Mario Wonder mashups?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭McFly85

I’ve just hit Act 3 in BG3 and decided to give it a break for a while there.

I love it but it’s massive and I could do with a break for some different gameplay, spider-man 2 will do the job and I’ll come back to it nearer Christmas.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Everyone is forgetting Pikmin 3 which from what I played is another game of the year contender.

I have a feeling Baldur's gate 3 would be good considering how great their divinity game was just wasn't expecting it to be so good.

• Advertisement

I don't think Spiderman 2 is going to come near the quality of wonder considering it seems to be a Ubisoft/Sony minigame, albeit a very good one.

Pretty sure we had AC6 and Baldur's gate 3 around the same time?

I will say BG3 does benefit from playing it consistently, as the way earlier decisions and minor characters recur in Act 3 is really satisfying and some of that might be lost with an extended gap. Hence why I'm keen to dust it off before diving into anything else.

Took me longer than it should to work out what AC6 was. Thought Assassin's Creed Mirage but that has more than 6. But checking and Armoured Core was later than Baldur.

And I think the reason the others got matched is because they were high profile, which, no offense to AC6 and BG3 they are not. But Spidey and Mario would both be well known.

Anyway, seems both Spidey and Mario are reviewing really well so another good week for gamers.

Not sure if it's the algorithms but Ive seen way more discourse and articles written about AC6 and BG3 in the last few months than most other big games. AC6 and BG3 are also way bigger than you expect. Can only find PC numbers but ac6 is 1.3 million which I imagine is at least double that on console while BG3 has 5.2 million sales from a quick google. That brings them well within triple A levels of game sales.

Saying that spidey and Mario might be the same. Spidey is reviewing well but also the only big Sony exclusive in a long time so will have plenty of discourse and Mario is Mario coming straight after a massively successful (and massively mediocre) movie.

Yeah there can be so much to keep track of in BG3 by the time you get to Act 3, particularly as it's where you close out most of the companion sidequests, that it can be hard to follow even playing it constantly. I met characters in Act 3 where it took me a while to remember who they were. But burnout is definitely a real fear with the game too by that stage if you have been doing as much of the content as you could, and there's a lot in Act 3 that you'd miss by just deciding to barrel through to the end of the game as quickly as you could.

It thankfully timed well for me where I was just starting to feel like I wanted to end the game right when I started running out of new quests/areas anyway. In fact I lockpicked the door to one house, spoke to the people inside who both said things like "Why are you in my house?", and I realised I should probably stop forcing myself to find new things to explore.

Yeah when (BG3 Act 3 spoiler)

Mayrina and her zombie husband from the Act 1 Auntie Ethel (who herself shows up again quite unexpectedly!) subquest show up in Act 3 it took me a little while to twig who I was dealing with again. But satisfying when you see those little moments and choices resonate so many hours later.

I could definitely see burnout setting in, but I'm in no rush to speed through just to play a new game on Friday - everything else can wait. Would much rather play BG3 at a more natural pace and see everything through, but hopefully should still wrap it up in the next 10 days or so at that more relaxed pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭McFly85

Yeah that’s fair enough. I’m enjoying it but getting slightly burnt out, might carve out an hour here or there to keep it in my mind and progress a bit.

My 2023 backlog is now, including pre orders:

Armoured Core 6

Jedi: Survivor

Phantom Liberty

Spider-Man 2

Super Mario Wonder

Advance Wars

Final Fantasy 16(absolute bottom of the priority, but it’s there and unfinished)

And that’s not including the Game Pass Games I’d like to go through, Dead Space, Lies of P, Starfield, Sea of Stars, Cocoon

All of that could easily keep me going for a lot of 2024 I suspect!

Forgot about ff16. I can't play it until the PC release but the only discourse I see about it are FF and Sony fanboys desperately defending that it's actually a good game, which is really putting me off it because it makes it sound like a bit of a stinker.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,284 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I've pretty much blanked much of the Mario Wonder coverage; what's the big takeaway here about the game that people are gushing? Is it just another solid platformer or does it bring anything new to the table?

Seems to be the typical Nintendo design philosophy of it just being chock full of wonderful ideas and inventiveness where every level has a fully explored gimmick you never see again that could sustain most indie games. Apparently does some really crazy stuff with platformer mechanics as well and is quite trippy.

That's my take on it and considering Nintendo have managed this with all their EAD games I'd well believe it's another one. The Eurogamer review will give you a good overview of what to expect, it sounds wild.

• Advertisement

I played a few hours of it, and not sure if I'll ever go back to it. The combat felt okay and would probably be more enjoyable once levelled up later in the game, but nothing about the game was really grabbing me, and the start was painfully slow.

I've never been a FF guy though so I can't give any indication how it compares to other FF games.

I'm in the back third of FF16 (I think) and it's a game that proves the vital importance of pacing. It's so glacial, with so much filler, that it feels ten times longer than it actually is. When it's good, it's really good - some serious spectacle and delightfully intense character action brawls. But it takes aggggeesss to get there.

I've probably played 30 odd hours of that and it felt so much longer. Whereas my 70 hours with BG3 have flown by, as there's a constant stream of interesting encounters, ideas and stuff to do.

I do want to finish it because I'm closeish to the end. But hard to see that happening when there's many better games looking for attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PixelPlayer

All these great games and I'm playing Wolfenstein New Order 😄

One of my favourite things about PC is playing old games on Ultra settings. But it seems that applies to everything but Bethesda games. Janky A.F.

But I'm going to persist with it. Despite feeling like I'm play it on PS3 it is strangely fun and I wanted a quick 12 hr game before deciding what next to play from the 2023 hot list. I also want to play 2 and I believe 3 isnin the works.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Cordell

Except for Remnant II, Wolfenstein: The New Order is better than all games that launched this year.

• Administrators Posts: 53,710 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It's pure garbage.

Cutscene... walk 10 steps.... cutscene... walk 10 steps... cutscene... walk 10 steps... etc.

New Order is surprisingly brilliant. It's more a stealth game but when it gets load the guns feel incredible. It's also surprisingly well written. Unfortunately it's anti nazi sentiment is getting more and more relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PixelPlayer

Yeah I'm enjoying it. The gunplay is very satisfying and the stealth is done at a good pace so as not to get too boring.

I wish I could bump up the fps. It's the game pass version. I tried the id5 tweaker mod but the game crashes on load. But 60fps is decent enough, I won't dwell on it.

Pikmin 4 ?

I'm still not blown away after watching a few reviews, and nothing I haven't seen already from the game, so I guess they are avoiding spoilers. Plus it's all about how the game feels and plays.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,583 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Damnit Retro, I keep reading that as Ace Combat 6 😂

• Advertisement

Too many AC games.

Just like when people talk about GoW and have to look at the context to see which they mean.

Advertisement