Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Babet - Oct 17th 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I mean it really should have been a red warning. Met Eireann have even acknowledged themselves about warning fatigue with their yellow warning statement today and it's very clear that red warning is the only thing people pay attention to (it's the only way schools and workplaces close). Not calling it a red warning was incompetent and has put people in danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭Dazler97

We all know Cork should have been in a red warning ⚠️ because of the 130+mm in 24 hours ,but at this stage I think met eirrean are nervous becoming of the back lash and I thought because of the shannon radar they'd no more but obviously not , this to me is screaming 2009 with bad floods but that was more focused on the west more so than the south

• Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Devastating flooding in parts of East Cork. Awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭eastie17

As regards the town of Midleton and environs, worse as its more widespread

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Ozvaldo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Ozvaldo

No one said it was their fault but they are a corrupt little dive up in the pale with no coverage of todays events in Cork and they are supposed to be a national broadcaster .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Inmate2020

Awful for Cork . 💕💕 Wicklow has gone Orange - are we expecting intensity as it’s just been a heavy drizzle all day ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

If it doesn't happen within the M50 then they don't care

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

If it happened in Dublin RTE would be covering it live very poor mention on news bulletins always noticed the same about any storm damage in Galway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Lack of license fees mean rte are cutting back....

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭eastie17

Yes should have been a red, it probably wouldnt have saved some of the houses that were flooded, some people do the usual "should have been prepared" but you cant stop water that is half way up the house. Most flood defences only got a couple of feet up the door.

But it would have 1. Kept people off the road this morning and 2. Kept kids out of school which would have gone a long way to alleviate people having to make journeys putting themselves and others in danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

To be fair, if it doesn't happen in South Dublin they don't cover it. They have huge staff all centred on a single campus in Donnybrook. They should be made sell it and move to a greenfield site in Athlone. BBC moved loads of their staff t Manchester a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I know a few people who can't get home as they had to pick up kids from school and they're stuck now. That's avoided with a red warning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Feeling sorry for those flooded. It looks severe. That must be up there with the worst flooding locally for there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Cork flooding is top headline on RTE Website. I'm no fan of RTE. I'm a Dub and would never notice if coverage is bias or not but RTE are fairly bias on loads of things so why not geography!

Altho as a Dub I know all too well how much of a chip the rest of the country has towards us. So I'm unsure if this is just a manifestation of said chip.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

I know so many people stranded on the N25, Killeagh is completely impassable, its impossible to get from Cork to Waterford. The lack of official communications as to the status of a major road is a disgrace, twitter etc. is the only way to patch together whats happening

Is there any rough idea how these water levels subside, what conditions need to be met? if it continues to rain (showing no signs of stopping right now) is there no hope of the water receeding? no idea how tides affect this kind of flooding but its supposed to be low tide around now...

It's an absolute disgrace this wasn't a red warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pureza

It's quite tipping it down In South wicklow at the moment,

Thats likely to push up the M11 in the next while making for a rough commute to the south Pale,with driving rain and standing water

It's going to move reasonably quickly so unlikely to be a patch on what has happened in East Cork for that reason

5 or 6 hours of heavy rain vs 24hrs+

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Id genuinely like to know the conditions for red warnings for rain, I know its on the site but judging by readings I think it was met?? Half of cork is under water and roads destroyed but that's not enough for one?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

The proper rain has now arrived in Greystones. Tipping down now after a relatively dry day (compared to Cork!). 7.0mm so far since midnight.

• Advertisement

It is on their website now tbf but it took a long, long time and proper news coverage much earlier could have avoided a lot of hardship for people. No one is sayings its a conspiracy but its just what you get when the country is so centralised. And tbf Cork gets better coverage than 95% of places as we have some critical mass.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,179 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The rain levels seems to be receding from Cork now. Cork airport was showing 8.5mm at 9am and 6.9mm at noon. It is now showing 2.6mm at 3pm.

Midleton should also get relief from the low tide at 4pm allowing water to discharge.

The Carrigaline water station at Ballea has simply gone off the charts hitting a new record.

Last 24 hours => Realtime waterlevel

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭ofcork

South ring and through the tunnel up towards silver Spring should be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Very colourful predictive rainfall on met.ie for North of Dublin from around around 7pm-midnight. Then persistent heavyish rain afterwards for a few hours.

Has the red warning trigger been broken around Cork or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pureza

Glasnevin were definitely slipshod with the Cork warning

It should have been Red,even at short notice

As for RTÉ,the Cork floods will feature significantly on six one I'd say and VM at 530

But remember, they mightnt be able to get to the locations

They might use twitter/X feeds

Also there's a big international story going on

Pouring out of the heavens now here in SE Wicklow

19mm and rising

Basically doubled in the last hour

Someone said its 50mm to 80mm. If so, yes and then some.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Well red warning would be 80mm in 24 hours and Cork got 130mm in 36 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 15,542 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

It’s beyond a joke how Met Eireann get their collective knickers in a twist over relatively minor autumnal gales -

But completely miss giving adequate warning for some of the worst floods ever !!!

this isn’t the first time either that they’ve messed up.

Recent retirements of long standing hugely experienced weather forecasters.

Something seriously amiss in Glasnevin???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

30mm here in tipp since 8am this morning,lots of pooling and flooding on the roads but all passable at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 cot-mad

My niece was stuck in school in midleton today my brother had to wade through the flood waters to collect her and carry her away. Some of the teachers said they’d be spending the night in the school. Crazy stuff.

Advertisement