Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/ Routes Discussion Pt 2 (ALL possible routes included)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Shamrockj

Where is the extra LR coming from that is being rumoured here? Its not on the order book currently

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭sherology

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Cork which returns to 3 based units (1x A20N, 2x A320) for Winter 23/24 as was the case last year, will remain so for Summer 2024 (+1 based unit on S23). Would expect some frequency increases and some new/returning routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭john boye

Has this been mentioned? I know it's not completely unexpected but it's quite short notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

That's a tough one, when I was flying to Shannon from Chicago this summer, a woman sitting beside me had her friend miss her flight due to a late connection, and they put her on a flight to Heathrow with a connecting flight to Shannon.

It'll reduce options a bit at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭john boye

I assume it's another step towards one world membership.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Not unexpected but seems a bit sudden all the same, to presumably end all reciprocal benefits between the two carriers in a week without any public announcement is surprising, particularly when you consider Aer Lingus’ previous lack of agility when it comes to change.

I do wonder if this finally indicates some movement from Aer Lingus within the JV, they’ve been part of it for quite some time but from a passenger point of view you wouldn’t know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

See second line here - not an official source, I know, but I'd say it is based on good information from within Airbus.

https://a320family.de/?page_id=8

That’s listed as a -271NX which suggests it’s Pratt & Whitney powered. Aer Lingus currently operate the -253NX with the LEAP-1A engine.

It could be a mistake, wrongly listed for Aer Lingus or possibly even a short term stop gap until the first XLR arrives. I believe it was originally expected in summer but has been delayed until just before the winter schedule. Not a huge delay to be fair but still.

Post edited by kevinandrew on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Any update on EI-LRD?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,320 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Not short notice at all. EI was taken over by IAG a decade or more ago and they applied for entry to the AA-BA-IB-FI joint business arrangement re transatlantic routes a long time ago. I think it’s 2 or more years since it was approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Might have been a deal done when EI big wigs were on the DUB-MIA-DUB XLR demo, or an opportunistic poach of a cancelled placement from a lessor for someone else. Lots of airlines walking away from P&W due their ongoing issues AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Cravens

Just to put my two cents out there, Vueling operates some P&W neos, perhaps once this one’s stint with EI is done, it can be transferred over to VY? It’s not a huge issue I don’t think, the old 757 fleet did have 3 P&W and 1 RR engined planes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

They wernt Aer Lingus aircraft tho so the engine types weren't a huge concern. I would be very surprised if EI added one random Pratt Brat to the NEO fleet…. But I’ve been wrong before

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

So far that's been the most likely thing possible imo but assuming it's not an LR though.

Why go to the trouble of putting a business cabin and seats with more generous pitch + IFE then a short while into the future transfer it over to a LCC like Vueling. Where as if it's an ordinary A321 with around 220-235 seats it probably can be transfered over without doing too much to the cabin for it's next user.

Then again why bother though, just get some A321s of your own in that case.

757 different engines are irrelevant. They were only wet leases and not operated or maintained by EI.

I'm sure more will come to light over the next few weeks.

Could always base at Manchester if it was just a single addition.

The Aer Lingus UK fleet is maintained as part of the parent company fleet in any case.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I'm pretty sure that 271N version won't happen. Might be a place holder order that will magically covert to an 253 closer to assembly.

On a vaguely related note.......Wednesday might be a blue day for Aer Lingus.

I expect (based on info given to me) an announcement of a new A321LR operator on the JFK/BOS routes.

I have my mints ready to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Oh I’m blue with envy. Maybe some excitement building B4…. Or should I say, B6 the announcement*

*I’ll get my coat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

I've not been in either but JetBlues LRs definitely look nicer inside than EIs LRs.

• Advertisement

JetBlue have a much nicer product overall, same economy seat but they have a rather low seat count and a much nicer business seat. The soft product is vastly superior to anyone across the Atlantic right now.

So far JetBlue has positioned itself as a boutique alternative to the big carriers, that shows no sign of changing and in London at least they haven’t exactly made waves, more of a ripple.

It’ll be different in Dublin with it being a smaller market and new entrants having more of an immediate impact upon arrival but I don’t think Aer Lingus will be quite as concerned as some believe.

Manchester would be more of an issue for Aer Lingus should JetBlue show an interest there, the JFK route would become oversaturated and BOS would be off the cards for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I don't think Aer Lingus will be worried in the near term, but maybe it'll encourage them to up their game a bit – and that can only be a good thing.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Agreed, its not just about seats cargo is a big issue as well

Looks like B6 will use the regular A321NEO so the older business class hard product which is the exact same as EI's bar the door, thats going to struggle with range and rules out any cargo at all. Fewer seats than EI's LR.

Good news is some competition will drive prices down in J as EI has been getting a bit greedy recently. Always enjoyed the B6 product in the US, best Y experience out there well it was until they stuffed in more seats in Y

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭sherology

16 Vantage (like EI) and 144 economy. That's pretty room'y.

Surprised it will make it across the Atlantic without the extra fuel tanks.

Post edited by sherology on

The standard A321neo also don’t have ovens in the aft galley so JetBlue is working on a new menu to still provide quality food option for these flights.

BOS-CDG will use an A321LR with 24 ‘Mint’ suites.

The product Dublin (and Edinburgh) will see is still very good but potentially less competitive than originally expected. With Aer Lingus taking XLR’s soon, supposedly retrofitting a new economy class on some older A330s, and exploring a new business class seat, it’s an interesting time from a passenger experience point of view.

Looks like EI adding AA PHL/ORD as direct options to the website and offering AA equipment connections. Only ORD and PHL with routes like FRA, HAM, DUS, TXL, BUD, PRG gain connections. Presume they will release CLT, DFW for connections at some point as direct have been available for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Gary walsh 32

Looks like ei nsd going to be fitted with seats ready for delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Gary walsh 32

Wonder if ei nsd will go straight to cork

• Advertisement

Unlikely as Dublin is the home base and aircraft are rotated from there. No doubt EI-NSD will be seen at Cork but I'd be doubtful that it would be detached to there straight away.

Advertisement