Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭techdiver

See where where you're coming from. Apart from what I've wrote I've been exactly the same. Skipping over YouTube videos, not reading articles. I put my thoughts in here because the match thread looked like a **** show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭vetinari

Maybe a bit controversial but I don't think you should be playing for Ireland if you're not first choice at club level.

There are exceptions like Cian Healy who demonstrated he was a cut above any replacement and had a long period at first choice.

For someone like Kelleher though, Herring is pretty close to him.

The extra pressure of being first choice at club level matters when it comes to the crunch at international level.

Leinster obviously produce the bulk of our players but this tendency to favor backup Leinster players in close calls is hopefully fading.

It'll help us going forward if Ross Byrne or say Luke McGrath are only getting picked if they stay first choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

There should be no 'undisputed' holder of any number, and certainly not at this point in the 4 year cycle

Ringrose is a very good player, but he's not the only 13 playing in Ireland who is Irish qualified. He should have to compete for his shirt the same as any other player does.

The idea that players are 'undisputed' is part of what got us into this situation in the first place. Players being brought to the RWC because of who they used to be, instead of who they are, while better players being left in the cold because they hadn't been given any minutes to prove themselves at international level.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The idea that players are 'undisputed' is part of what got us into this situation in the first place. Players being brought to the RWC because of who they used to be, instead of who they are, while better players being left in the cold because they hadn't been given any minutes to prove themselves at international level.

Like who?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I'd have an element of agreement with the sentiment (for me, it's not so much the first-choice element, as how that affords you exposure to high pressure games), but for the sake of clarity, Luke McGrath has never been called up under Farrell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

i dont think you can blame someone for getting held up tbh. im also really not a fan of that law either, much as i dont like overcomplicating things i do think if the ball is carried over it should be a 5m scrum and if its kicked in goal then it should be a goal line drop out. the reward for the defense with a drop out is too much imo

i have to agree, ive always thought that you need to be starting at club level to be playing internationally. to be fair, when most of the best players come from one club(province in this case), its hard to stick to that rule of thumb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ersatz

It's impossible to judge whether Kelleher made the right call there. Herring has a couple of tries to his name last season that I swore were him peeling off too early but he scored them, end of discussion. Same with the late try Henshaw scored in Chicago. I'd be interested to hear what the coaches say about these though and whether that effort from Kelleher is something they'd look at and think he should have waited. The maul seemed to be motoring.

I'm not going to re-hash the RWC 2023 squad selection 'debate' again.

But it's 4 years to the next world cup. Any 18 year old centre coming through the system this year would be 22 by the time the next RWC arrives, they could be lighting the world on fire while Ringrose will be 32 with 4 years of wear on his body. And there are loads of players in the 4 academies, any of them could break through to the senior squads and be performing well enough to start for Ireland ahead of ringrose by the 2027 RWC.

Then we have the likes of Antoine Frisch, who arrived a bit late for consideration to this campaign, but is a very good player who deserves a look and is Irish qualified

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

havent brought myself around to watching it again yet but i thought at the time that the maul broke down/collapsed rather than kelleher breaking off? could be misremembering it though all the same

again though, i do think the law is a bigger problem here

"undisputed players" didn't not cause us to lose the QF. You are just attaching your hobby horse to the outcome and then refusing to back it up with anything.

Picking a captain who is likely going to be starting all your games is a problem literally every team has to grapple with.

• Advertisement

So you think Garry Ringrose should be the 'Undisputed 13' for Ireland?

All I'm saying is that no player should be 'Undisputed' holder of any jersey on the national team. They should be selected on form. Otherwise we're just holding a slot for them, hoping they play themselves back into form. It's a gamble.

If you asked anyone before the RWC who the Irish Centre partnership should be, most would have said Henshaw and Ringrose, but Aki was our best player in the tournament. Players had long periods of underperforming during the last 4 years but they got kept on, not because they were the best players at the time, but because they were seen as 'un-droppable' (For example James Ryan and Jack Conan both had very poor periods for Ireland and their club over the past 4 years but were still selected time and time again, when it would have been much more useful to have given those minutes to other players who were playing better at the time)

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Piskin

None of this changes the fact that you have to pick a captain who you think will be as close to a lock to be the starting player as possible.

And yes, if Garry Ringrose continues to play as he currently is then I think he should be the undisputed 13 for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Perhaps the word "undisputed" was lazy, but the reality is there is a bit of a gap between him and whoever is next in line for the 13 jersey, as thing stand it is hard to see someone else taking that jersey in the next WC cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

You know Conan had a blood disease? And Ryan suffered multiple concussions? If anyone should be dropped, it has to be the elders. They've nothing more to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

The squad needs experience and leadership as well. It has already lost Sexton and Earls, I'd be careful about voluntarily sacrificing more experience.

I feel bad for them. But they should not have been playing international rugby if they were not fit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

In reality you need multiple leaders in a squad. Apart from form Ringrose hasn't the best injury record.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,628 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

That's an awful lot of words to disagree with a point nobody actually made, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

All good points.

My other criticism of Ringrose is similar to the above in that I feel like he can turn against the flow too much with ball in hand. Earls and latterly Hansen get far less ball from him (I feel, not rooted in anything more concrete!), how is his passing off his left generally? But then he can do damage with his footwork on his own too. He's still a great 13 and on form is our best 13. Would love to see us widen the net a bit as he can pick up injuries.

The tackling thing - I take the point by others that he's a shooter etc., but missing 41% of tackles at international level this year is a lot in my eyes. But I guess you'd have to analyse all the missed ones and grade them accordingly.

It's a very interesting time for the team as there will be change in the next 12-18 months in a few positions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ersatz

On Ringrose not passing, I’ve been making this point for years, he loves to step in off his right rather than pass the ball off his left. Maybe he doesn’t want his winger isolated, maybe he wants the ruck closer to midfield, maybe he doesn’t trust his pass. BUT, on Saturday he did it a few times and made great yards almost every time. His footwork, agility and power get him through one or two tackles more often than not and he might be the best presenter of the ball in the team.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I completely disagree. The maul is overpowered as is, if you can't even complete the job by dotting down cleanly why on earth should you be given the ball back five metres out to try again? It's more than enough to have the opposition kick it right back to you from their goal line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

I hope they're not too quick with the changes to the squad this year. I think given that we're going to be playing a new, fairly young 10 (I'm assuming Crowley will keep the shirt for the start of the 6N) it would be good to keep some of the continuity in tact around him. There's a good chance that neither JGP or Bundee are going to be the starter in a couple of years (at least I hope someone new steps up and displaces them) but it probably makes sense to leave them in situ for a year to let the new 10's grow into the shirt.

I'm also looking forward to seeing how they do in a team without the presence of Sexton casting a shadow over them. for the last 10 years anyway it's always felt like others were "filling in" for him. the teams were built around him, and for good reason. I'm just looking at the silver lining. It might take a season yet before the comparisons die down but i'm excited to see who grabs the opportunity

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I'm excited for the 6nations. It's a new fresh start. Yes there's no Sexton but really this was coming for a long time. Crowley is a fine player. I've no doubts that he'll be an international quality player.

I just want to see a couple of newbies. It's pointless to continue with an aging squad. We've gone as far as we could with them. We may have to change up our style a bit and there may be blips along the way.

The schedule is 3 home matches against sides we should beat. These are opportunities to get fresh faces into the mix. I'd like a look at Baird or Prendergast at blindside. Maybe start McCarthy in a couple of matches. I hope to see a new loosehead.

Nothing drastic, just a natural rebirth!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I would imagine we'll be waiting until autumn 2024, supplemented by a tier 2 tour in 2025 to really make significant changes to the team. There's a lot of guys contracted until then who will still be performing well and the coaches will want their experience around the camp with Sexton and Earls gone.

We've a 6N followed by a tour of SA. I just don't see Ireland deviating much from their current squad until after those. We had 37 players in our 6N squad named last January. I'd imagine we'll have our RWC 31 (retirees removed) plus the likes of Frawley, Stockdale, Osborne, Prendergast and one or two others. We may even see Cian Healy back in the squad.

Hopefully, we're in a position to name a slightly wider squad though given the RWC cycle is starting again along with a few development players. Would also really like to see a Wolfhounds/development tour next summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

I totally disagree and the GL drop out makes teams have to be far cleverer. they cant be bashing at line. game speeded up a lot as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭typhoony

4 years ago you would have looked at the 2019 team and said a lot of the key positions were locked in for 2023, unfortunately the same cannot be said about the 2023 team looking ahead to 2027.

Players that it might be a step to far for age in 2027...

Porter 31

Beirne 35

JvDF 34

Furlong 34

Gibson Park 35

James Ryan 31

Ringrose 32

Henshaw 34

Lowe 35

Aki 37

Anyone under 30 should be good to go in 2027, I left Keenan out of the list above since he rarely gets injured, he'll be 31

Porter? 31 is not remotely old for a LHP

Furlong in theory should also be fine but he's obviously in a bit of a rut at the moment.

Ryan at 31 at lock should be at his prime

Ringrose at 32 should be fine

Henshaw at 34 will be on the edge alright

That is an extremely pessimistic take and while those players may or may make it, it most certainly won't be cause they are too old.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Think many of the guys in their early 30s should be ok even if some will have fair bit of mileage on the clock if they stay fit over theq next 4 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

can't agree with your hypothesis.

they will play if they are good enough.

Advertisement