Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Babet - Oct 17th 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,732 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

@Meteorite58

Do you know how much rain we got around Tralee. My display wasn't showing up my readings. Feels like we didn't get a whole lot in comparison to other parts. Could be wrong 😄 thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

I get how you can be off with the forecast (and to be fair, it was by degrees, they had an orange warning out) but its the failure to react to the short term evidence that what they had warned was wrong which is where the issue lies. The weather can make a fool of anyone but when your short term models tell you things are going awry with your forecast and lives are being put at risk, you must take action - and publicise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Still only a maybe though. Could fit an orange warning in there.

Could expand warnings to 36 and 48 hour totals too perhaps in future to cover this kind of aggregative effect?

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭mykrodot

there may be a big international story going on............but right now Newstalk are talking about Coleen Rooney and Rebecca Vardy, before that an entire segment with Alice Taylor and Terry Prone about the face of changing Ireland and popular names for kids! They have plenty of opportunity between segments or even in the middle of one to issue updates on weather and areas in the country that are flooded !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Scary how powerful those currents can be in the floods

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,179 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Where the hell is RTE's southern correspondent Plastic Sheeting at a time like this?!?!

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,909 ✭✭✭✭josip

How have Castlemartyr and Carrigtwohill fared?

Have they flooded also or is Midleton a unique case due to high tide and the river?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Roads were bad as it was last night in Cork, given that and how much rain was forecast today, it wasn’t take a rocket scientist to determine things would be bad today to some extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Mo Ghile Mear

The weather forecast section on RTE has gone down the tubes lately. Too much silly banter. I tend to switch off and not really take in what they’re saying. Particularly Joanne, she has a way of making me feel she’s not taking it seriously.

And too rushed as well, just a detailed look at tonight and tomorrow and only a vague reference to the day after. The 7.55am forecast on the radio is the only one that seems to have credibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭eastie17

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Kerry in a yellow warning tomorrow evening till Friday evening

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Killeagh, youghal, rochestown, passage, Midleton, city centre, cloyne, monkstown had flooding also, and many other parts around west and east cork have flooding

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Main news on Virgin media 5.30 now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pureza

We're nudging 32mm now in Arklow and it's absolutely teaming down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pureza

Quite a lot of flooding locally here now

Approximately 20mm in last 2.5hrs

Currently 14mm/hr rain rate and hasn't gone below 10 in quite some time

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭pauly58

The roads here in West Cork are bad alright, the waterways haven't been cleaned out properly for many years, the old boys that knew where they were have retired & now they send out some young lad in a JCB & he knocks a hole through , but never in the right place, so the roads are acting as the drains. It looks like East Cork got it worse than us mind.

At one o'clock when the orange warning expired it was lashing harder than ever here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭pauldry

He's off sick maybe so Cork doesn't exist in his absence. Hel get mad if someone else covers it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Seems like it's all dropping as it hits the coast. Raining here at Rathdrum but it's nothing exceptional. It's strange how different it can be only a few km away.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Mo Ghile Mear

@CarlowWeather has been predicting this for days, he kept saying it was going to be an exceptional event.

And it’s just a hobby with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭BagofWeed

We should be very proud today. Our top notch planning and state of the art drainage system has prevented that very rare wet substance that falls from the sky from causing any issue to our residents or damage to our infrastructure. Instead of spending money on countless traffic lights we invested wisely into drain maintenance and it paid off today.

Look forward to the normal hot sun being back again tomorrow and may we never see that wet stuff again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭adocholiday

GFS and ECM were both showing a significant event for East Cork including the 100mm+ for the Youghal area on the charts 5 days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭aidanodr

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭highdef

I see that a WOW weather station near Dungarvan had recorded 32mm up to 21:57 yesterday. Then it stopped reporting for two hours and from 23:57 till 15:42 today, it recorded another 91mm giving a total of almost 125mm (over 5" in old money). probably a bit more as there's some missing data.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Robwindstorm

Met eireann preformed poorly here. They should have at least went red early this morning. The British met office flagged this on Monday and named the storm. Their graphics from yesterday showed it hitting the South hard. They have a red alert issued for Scotland earlier today to prepare them for tomorrow. Posters on here flagged it and even though I'm from meath where no warning was issued, I prepared yesterday by cleaning drains and bringing in livestock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭gipi

I'm on hols in Killarney and currently in UHK in Tralee - it rained all day yesterday in Killarney, but I saw no rain or water this morning on the N22.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

2 minute snippet on the flooding on six one. Shocking so little coverage from the national broadcaster on the natural distaster that has occurred in the largest county in Ireland.

"As for RTÉ,the Cork floods will feature significantly on six one I'd say"

@pureza .. On the six one news at 6.12, finished at 6.14 with a hurried put together piece all from social media vids and that was it. concentrated on Midleton and killea, did mention city and other places affected but no video or proper piece showing the actual damage. Finish with worry for high tide later. All in about 2 mins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

To be fair it got a two minute report after 15 minutes on the RTE news without any follow up outside broadcast from a reporter. I know there is an awful lot going on in the world right now, much more serious stuff at that, but that is still pathetic. I am one of the idiots left paying my licence fee but this would certainly have you wondering why. I know loads of people whose kids, right now, are still stuck in school and can't be reached. No mention on the news. They are setting up a rest centre for evacuees in Midleton. That's not usual....

Advertisement