Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gigs for 2023

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Rodrigo y Gabriella Vicar Street Monday night.

Hope they follow on from the Saw Doctors and show the Ireland Gibraltar match before they come on

Ah just joking, they wouldn't torture us like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Samantha Fish in the Button Factory last night, great gig.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

3Arena last night

Miles Kane

and the Arctic Monkeys

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Hugh Grant looking great for his age. Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,402 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Arctic Monkeys 3Arena, good show

Next up is The Waterboys in the Spiegeltent Wexford on the 1st Nov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Did they do a better set than their Glasto gig (which I thought was dreadful)?

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭xyz13

3 sides to every story...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭storker

Fantastic gig. Love the venue. I wanted to see if she was as good live as she seemed to be, and she exceeded my expectations. If she was doing another night I'd be up there again this evening.

(Great pics BTW)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

A stormer tonight from Gavin De Graw in Shepherds Bush Empire in London. Last concert of the year for me.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I was more concerned about what Miles Kane was concealing in his trousers....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Four gigs the past week with the end result been there are now 3 acts i won't be bothering with again. I had Protomartyr, Kristin Hersh, Squid and Sweeping Promises, with SP the clear winner. They were also the only act i hadn't seen before so i'm sure that was a contributing factor.

Protomartyr left me cold when i saw them years back in the Workmans so i skipped subsequent tours. Decided to give them another go but alas the same result ensued. Good band but just not for me. My mate is a fan and he thought they were very good.

Kristin Hersh was grand but at the end of the day it's hard to get excited by an acoustic set (unless it's Julian Cope or Hamell on Trial up on that stage). If she returned with a band, whether under her name, Throwing Muses or 50 Foot Wave i'd be there like a shot.

Squid bored me for the most part. One of my gig buddys called them and their ilk 'student project bands' and i know what he meant. All great musicians sure but just too cerebral and clever. Where's the heart and soul? I had the same feeling at their Button Factory gig last year. It's music that's hard to love.

Sweeping Promises were decent. A nerdy 3-piece (live they have a drummer but on record it's just a duo) with scratchy, tinny guitar and a female vocalist/bassist. 50 minute set which ended at 10.10, so i managed to get home early! Would certainly go and see them again. Support came from Search Results. Also a nerdy 3 piece, going for an old school indie vibe with occassional forays into Pavement territory. A bit twee for me perhaps but i think some here might like them. Good drummer.

Next up is the Jim Jones Allstars with Thee UFO on support duty on Halloween night. Pretty sure that will provide the heart, soul, passion and rocknroll excitement i require! 😁

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Missed No Spill Blood last Christmas but caught them at Whelans tonight.

My bones are still shaking. Stunning musicianship and sound. 200 Irish people standing there going meh!

Put them on stage in the states and they would clean up.

Really? They've always got a good response anytime i've seen them. Last one was the album launch in Whelans in March of this year with Percolator supporting. That was a good gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Sorry, just being sarcastic. The crowd loved it but only 200-odd people there coupled with their biggest song getting just 35k plays on Spotify. They should be huge!

Jim Jones All Stars superb in Whelans tonight. High energy maximum rock n roll. This is what i want from a gig. Music from the gut slugging you in the gut. A poor reflection on Irish gig goers that the gig got moved from the main room to upstairs. No bother to the 8-piece band, they just went ahead and delivered the goods. A mixture of original material from his various acts (wonderful to hear Thee Hypnotics 'Shakedown') and cover versions taking in the Velvet Underground, Jimmy Castor Bunch (the superb Troglodyte, a highlight on the new album) and Little Richard amongst others.

Yet another act that should be a festival staple. I can't believe that most people wouldn't be entertained by them. At the very least they should be gracing the Salty Dog or Fishtown. It's certainly the kind of music that i expect to be on those stages.

Here's the album: https://jimjonesallstars.bandcamp.com/album/aint-no-peril

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Eric Cantona in Liberty Hall was a surreal experience French Jazz Chanson with hints of avant garde pieces. Certainly not for everyone but it's one of the best musical experiences I've had in awhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭rdhma

Bank Holiday gigs

Brandee Younger in the Triskel last Friday. Saw her last year solo, this time harp, bass and drums trio with a much fuller sound. Apart from her own material, she played some stuff from Alice Coltrane and Marvin Gaye. Great gig.

Sultan Stevenson in the Triskel Saturday. Up and coming London based pianist with his trio, joined by Denys Baptiste on sax. Has his first album out and definitely worth a listen.

The Magnapinna at the Siege of Limerick metalfest on Sunday. A mixed bag of bands there, but this was a bit different, think Talking Heads / Zappa with louder guitars, or maybe Primus without the cartoon vocals.

I saw The Magnapinna supporting Yawning Man in DBD in 2017. Good band. I ended up 'playing' one of their guitars towards the end of their set when the guitarist handed it to me (despite my protestations that i couldn't play!).

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭T.V Eye

Would have been at that, but can't be leaving the pet alone with the fireworks, probably kept a few away that night.

Sounds class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Chemical Brothers in the Point last night was great. Very packed on the floor though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,402 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Was a very good gig by the Waterboys last night down in the Spiegeltent in Wexford. Paul Browne has such a mental stage presence. Scott still has the vocal skills

The venue was OK but if you're short don't expect to see much of the stage. Great idea and does so well for the town

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Homer

Thoroughly enjoyed The Dead South (underrated folk/bluegrass band from Canada) at a packed Vicar Street tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Guns N Roses at the Hollywood Bowl last night, they played The General during the set.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,383 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

That venue looks class, but I'm basing it on seeing the Encanto live show rom there, if I end up getting to travel stateside for gigs that venue is getting added to the list

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

Went to see the Saw Doctors in Belfast last night. Been going to their gigs since 1991 and they just get better every time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Anyone know if calexico have any support on their tour? Can't find anything concrete anywhere

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

They did, I missed them. Calexico were bloody excellent though and the support act was also in the love band as it turns out so something to go dig into.

Nice to be able to walk home from a gig

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

Katatonia tonight in The Academy - can't wait

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

More for a 2024 gig but has anyone sat in the upper tiers in Croker before? Are the seats ok? Picked up a pair in Block 733 for Bruce this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Advertisement