Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Babet - Oct 17th 2023

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: A number of completely off topic posts removed (verging into conspiracy theories!). Can we stick to talking about the weather please.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

RTE called the Midleton event in 2012 a "cloudburst", not sure what that means but can only assume it was torrential rain and a high tide.

Cloudburst causes east Cork flooding (rte.ie)

And it seems to be getting worse each time.

Midleton cleans up after flooding – The Irish Times

"this is the third time that we’ve been flooded in the past 12 years and it’s definitely the worse - more water came in and went further back the shop than it did on either of the other two occasions"

"the flooding stemmed from a combination of heavy rains and a high tide in the Owencurra River which resulted in river levels rising above the exit levels of drains which in turn led to water backing up on to the street."

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Unfortunately my automatic rain gauge is in the blink and didn't empty my manual gauge, v busy few days.

The Spa below is quite accurate from a Davis station , 42mm yesterday and 13mm today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

I'm from Midleton and remember it well. We had 1 hour of biblical rain, so much that the rain couldn't drain away and just kept building up. I can't recall exactly how much fell but it was pretty substantial.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Ye syran should get a Job with met eirrean he knows wayyyy more than anyone in this and themselves in met eirrean , sryan knows his stuff big time and I'm not saying that to sound sarcastic or anything I'm quite serious

• Advertisement

Yeah I read that it was 1 hours worth of rain that did all the damage. It must have been epic.

The big question for me is why ye don't have 2 letter 'd's in Midleton??

Monsoon like conditions, never seen anything even close to it since or before :)

Haha that's a good question to which the answer is below.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Have to be paying through the nose for insurance in Midleton.

If the floods keep getting worse and more often they have to get serious about flood protection for the town or allow it to slowly migrate into less flood prone zones.

Fascinating story, I love those old quirky ones. Thanks for sharing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Getting OT, but was 2012 the same year that saw massive flooding in Mallow too? I remember seeing a photo of a bus shelter with the water almost up to the top!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,613 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Not hearing much about high tide issues, which is a good sign hopefully

• A lot of the comments elsewhere are conflating this with Cork City centre low lying areas and tidal flooding. Many of the areas that have flooded aren’t tidal, and aren’t necessarily even low lying. There’s absolutely enormous damage in Glanmire for example.

It’s entirely surface water being completely overwhelming the drains, both manmade plumbing and natural waterways.

It also seems to have been extremely localised. A few km away in the city it was wet and there was some random minor flooding from surface water, but nothing horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Dublin, wicklow and wexford in a yellow till 05:00

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Im in Cobh which is about 5 miles as the crow flies from Midleton.

Bang on 100mm since yesterday morning. 44mm yesterday, 56mm today. Thats an underestimate as I know the wind effects it.

Theres a weather station down in Youghal - could be slightly uphill - but it registered 104mm TODAY, and a further 30mm yesterday.

No river or flood defenses can really cope with 104mm in a day.

So for my station we "only" warranted Orange today, but for that Youghal station it did warrant a red. To me I feel we need to adjust the criteria for rain. We get orange wind warnings very readily, but rarely orange rain warnings.

Red warning criteria -

Greater than 50mm in 6 hrs or less

Greater than 60mm in 12 hrs or less

Greater than 80mm in 24 hrs or less

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭pureza

A lot of flooding around Arklow now

Manhole tops lifted,Golf course is a lake

I've been sent a WhatsApp of that with roads like rivers but cannot share because there's people talking in it

I've recorded 48.4mm so far

• They need more granularity than “county cork” on the warnings though.

Also risk to life seemed relatively low compared to an extreme wind event. It was hugely disruptive and damaging to property due to getting everything water sodden and muddy and even sewage sodden but it’s nothing like the risks with flying debris and falling trees etc.

I ’m not convinced that you could have done much to predict this unless you’d local weather radar like they use in tornado impacted areas.

That dump of rain was confined to about 15km radius and it was very random. You would struggle to forecast much more than bursts could be possible.

15km radius??? Midleton got the brunt of the widepsread flooding but there's roads virtually impassable throughout an area much bigger than 15km.....

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

There's flooding ranging from Glandore in west cork to glanmire which was under water, passage and roachestown, Midleton and to the furthest east cork corner, as well as the city centre, many suburbs, let alone the flooding in Waterford. 15 km radius? It was forecast in weather charts for a good few days, as can be seen on Carlow weather's Twitter, with the UKMO naming the system early this week.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Having driven around tonight, it’s localised spots and very localised at that. There isn’t widespread flooding around the city. There’s some surface water and that’s about it.

Glanmire is looking like a natural disaster zone and so is Midleton. It was a system with rain localised random rain bursts.

If you’d shut county cork today what exactly would it have achieved? It’s a big chuck of economic activity stopped. It has knock on impacts for all sorts of stuff, including healthcare etc.

Many of the places hit are very residential. So it’s not like people working from home would be any less likely to face disruption.

The majority of the well over half a million people who live in Cork were very mildly impacted and mostly just inconvenienced by traffic jams.

The severe flooding is highly localised.

There will be more because of swollen rivers over the next 24-48hours and that’s more predictable.

I think Met Eireann is dammed if it does and damned if it doesn’t issue red alerts. Orange with localised flood warnings seems very accurate given the conditions.

There isn’t really any way they could model well enough to give you precise locations of those downpours.

A wide spread severe storm like Ophelia is a different scenario entirely and needed people to take shelter and not drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭aidanodr

The Straight Road Cork city, starts at the county hall and out to ballincollig - straight :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Thanks. Glad to think I was right in my thinking that we didn't get much.

Just glad I didn't live in cork ☔

• Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭pauldry

In the West Claremorris and Knock have had 35mm of rain in past 24 hours. This would be a lot if Cork hadn't 100mm. Actually it is a lot. In Sligo we have seen 24mm in the 2 days but still raining for next 14 hours at least so 40mm plus from this thing before showery rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,613 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

It's not quite the devastating scenes in Cork but I was surprised how rough the sea was here on the east coast this afternoon. Sure it was a southeasterly direction but still wind was relatively light. Pics from Seapoint, Dublin 2 hours after high tide. Makes me wonder had there been actual strong winds..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭aidanodr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Paschal finally turned up on the 9 o clock news!!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,011 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

• Advertisement

• The UK's Met Office has issued a rare red warning for the Aberdeenshire area of Eastern Scotland for Thursday going into Friday. Saying that up to 250mm of rain could fall. An extraodinary total if it happens.

Advertisement