Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Rain has yet to make it to Greystones. Dry (but overcast) all day.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Steady, heavy rain at 6.4mm/hr in Cork city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

Huge amounts of surface water on the roads around Cork, with some parts heavily flooded but passable for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,832 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

What a miserable night! Heavy rain since early afternoon now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Very calm, mild, almost pleasant morning in Dublin so far. Hoping it's not too bad at lunch so can get out for a run! Seems Dublin may not get pasted as bad as elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

Dublin is getting away with murder as usual. We should be very grateful. I do feel sorry for Corkonians.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I was expecting today to be a washout but doesn't seem to be the case here in Meath, it did rain a good bit last night but nothing major and just seems like showery bits of drizzle on the radar for this location over the next few hours. Perhaps the rain will intensify for here later in the day.

Wet here since yesterday afternoon, though obviously not near as bad as down south. Sorry to those people who have been impacted by the flooding.

It seems we are really paying the price for the relatively warm seas over the last few months in combination with weak blocking which can give rise to slow moving fronts. Add in a strong El Nino and the outlook is certainly grim for November.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Plenty of towns and villages in Cork absolutely destroyed by floods, lots of damages roads around the place too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Not a bad day here in Kildare it’s just on the breezy side

• Advertisement

No rain really in Dublin and mild enough got my run in at lunch so I'm happy enough. Poor Cork though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Photo from Midleton today, flooding halfway up the house with a car under water.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Dry in Greystones since this morning. Some impressive waves despite it not being very windy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭highdef

Looking at the radar, it seems the rain was just beginning as you posted!

Post edited by highdef on

I see the UKMO long range has mentioned blocking and Easterly winds later in November. Of course Easterly winds for the UK don't automatically mean they will extend all the way here- we could miss out as we have often times in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I am still stunned by the water station readings at Carrigaline. They are going to need to adjust the chart!

Realtime waterlevel

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

You can adjust it yourself. Looks to have peaked a fair bit over 2m, well above the previous record anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭appledrop

God love them in Cork, there were kids stranded at schools and creche for a few hours until their parents could reach them with the floods.

How come we have a named storm but with very little wind? Is that not unsual?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Rain took a while to arrive in Kildare but when it did it was pretty bad.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Ah yes I see it now. 2.162m peak. Old record was 1.66m. Impressive.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement

I believe (and someone correct me if I am wrong) that the UK Met Office named the storm. Winds in Scotland are expected to gust to over 120 km/h in places and also from an unusual direction with an easterly component. The latest UKMO run shows onshore wind gusts in excess of 140 km/h in Aberdeen. This would constitute a red warning for winds. Red level rain warnings have also been issued for parts of Scotland.

However, there does not have to be strong winds for a weather system to be named. Orange or red level winds are more likely to give reason to name a weather system but a storm can also be named for amber warnings of rain and snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Rain banging off the window all evening here.

12⁰ Meath. Wonder what time in morning is this band to pull away.

Another rain warning Friday. Kerry mentioned.

Wow still teeming in Meath. Just nicely positioned under the edge of that precip on the radar. 😵

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭adocholiday

The rain eased off in South Wicklow sometime after 4am. Both Arklow and Greystones stations recorded over 50mm in that 24 hour period, most of which fell between 2pm and 10pm yesterday

50.8mm in my part of Greystones for this 'rain event'.

Very high totals of rain at the Botanic Gardens in Dublin, a stone's throw from the Met Office. 🤣😅🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Absolutely stifling out my back in D24 today. Fierce close.

Here comes some blue skies after all the rain in Meath.

No coats for school run.

16⁰ Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

A nice 17°C here at a sunny Shannon airport, feels even warmer !

• Advertisement

Lashing in D5 now. I feel like the last few months it's just been raining so much. I am getting soaked on bike or running more often now when it used to feel like it only happened a couple of times a year, now it's regular enough since that awful summer. Am I imagining it or is the weather just getting worse?

Advertisement