Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,780 ✭✭✭buried

How is it domestic? Israel has abolished all responsibility towards Gaza. It has denoted that the Gazan people have elected a terrorist organization, Hamas, as it's de-facto rulers, so that is a foreign regime. This is how Israel is justifying it's airstrike bombing campaign against Hamas, Yes? Hamas is being denoted as a foreign terrorist regime. That is Mossad's responsibility.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

Whatever the classification someone has to fall on their sword for what happened. A diligent Israel could have easily avoided what's happening now.

Many, many people are going to die because a few people believed so much in their superiority that they went blind.

I hesitate to say this but maybe this is better in the long run. The pressure of the question on the future of Palestine hasn't been to the forefront of the world to this extent in decades.

Israel will go on their offensive, and maybe claim some sort of victory over Hamas, but when the dust settles the world isn't likely going to accept business as usual when it comes to Palestine.

Why Palestine? It's believed the Kingdoms of Judah and Israel existed around 900 to 850 BCE which would be before the term 'Palestine' of the 5th century BCE. Israeli Jews refer to 'Judea' and 'Samaria' today to describe these regions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭omega man

I think you know well they won’t nor should they. Not remotely comparable in fairness. In fact the clip I saw they were being handcuffed and removed (as they should) despite their peaceful nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭circadian

How many bomb scenes have you seen in person in your lifetime?

• Advertisement

Why did the head of the Shin Bet take responsibility for the intelligence failure then and not Mossad?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Tonight show on Virgin media is no better than RTE current affairs. Completely unbalanced all about condemning Israel. Labour senator Marie Sherlock moving on from the hospital attack ''we might never know who carried it out''.

Nothing about Hamas or Islam Jihadist's firing off ordnance using civilian infrastructure as cover.

Slava Ukrainii

Yep, the overall situation is in a state of flux right now. How it plays out long term is yet to be seen. An optimistic outcome or a return to the status quo? I honestly couldn't tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,780 ✭✭✭buried

I don't have a f**king clue. But it's clear he's obviously as cowardly, thick and incompetent as the f**king eegits in Mossad who let it happen too, because he is owning up to responsibilities that are not actually his. So he is being told what to say and do. That much is clear to anybody.

Problem is this, if the head of the Shin Bet is allowed to talk literal total Bull$hit deflection without actual question, what else isn't being questioned

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement

The world as you say can do f@@k all about it. Its really in the hands of the Palestinian people. Until they get rid of Hamas, Islamic Jihadist's, Hezbollah etc the world can do nothing.

You cannot let Israel, Egypt and Jordon allow uncontrolled access in and out of the West Bank and Gaza because weapons and munitions will flow in and terrorists will flow out to spread death and destruction.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

• Registered Users Posts: 36,079 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

That is par for the course condem, Hamas and then go on the rant against Israel

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 12,131 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I think its a bit weird to blame the victim of an attack for the attack and subsequent events.

I think there's a bit of the straw that broke the camel back for both sides. Both sides had enough of the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Those who did get brought to Ireland were treated as child slaves , meanwhile we gave a nazi war criminal a civic reception in the mansion house who then went on to supply the department of education and every school in Ireland with school books and copies

Aye but apparently to some it's not true because there isn't enough blood in the area. I remember the Coshquin bomb, was a couple of miles away in Slievemore at my cousins.

The devastation a blast like that causes, it's not just shrapnel that kills but the sheer concussive force of an explosion.

If there were 1000 people in the immediate area, including a lot of children and elderly then it's well within the realms of possibility an explosion that was able to leave an impact crater would kill a large number.

Regardless of the source of this explosion, it's horrible to think these people just wanted safety and shelter and then gone in a flash.

Plenty of accounts out there describing them. Why would you need to experience one to have knowledge? I'd say there are medical doctors out there who've never experienced a bomb scene but could describe to you in great detail the effects of blast on the human body.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Longing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,079 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭omega man

The US National Security Council have backed the Israel position based on IDF data and their own assessment in relation to the Gaza hospital blast. I know many will roll their eyes at a US position but what alternative source is still driving the blame on the IDF in terms of the slowness of the western media to finally see the light?

@circadian but apparently to some it's not true because there isn't enough blood in the area. I remember the Coshquin bomb, was a couple of miles away in Slievemore at my cousins.

The devastation a blast like that causes, it's not just shrapnel that kills but the sheer concussive force of an explosion.

But when 500 people get blown up in a very small Area the devastation is huge there would be Bodies,arms,legs and heads all over the place the amount of blood would be unbelievable,we seen the amount of blood from a few victims of last weeks terrorist attack,now multiply that blood from hundreds of dead not including the claims of hundreds injured,

I still think people still believe everything that comes out of Hamas mouths including the doctors who paraded dead bodies in a Press conference last night as part of the propaganda

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Thanks for posting. It's an embarrassing watch. And for once not because of Piers Morgan. Talk about digging a hole for yourself. I hope most Palestinians aren't like that, but I fear they are. Plus millions of other people worldwide including many posters on this thread last night.

What is wrong with these people, do they really enjoy war or something?

Everybody should watch this, but it is not bringing much hope for the future

Plenty of bodies here.

You're getting into crisis actor territory yet claim you're the only one on here with a "calm head". Unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,033 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

A user quipped Biden slept on the way there and the way back: evidence to the contrary ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

I agree. People like to act like the Gaza blockade came solely from a cruel place and will to destroy Gaza but it was a pure reaction to Hamas coming to power. Israel had no appetite at the time to militarily remove Hamas and all the bloodshed that would entail, so a blockade it was. And, the blockade was enforced equally by Eygpt, who felt the exact same.

It wasn't credible to suggest that Gaza should have just been left alone with open borders under the control of Hamas, a Jihadi, ISIS-style organisation. An organisation that was elected by the people of Palestine, it must be said. Yes, I understand the arguments in that the people were sick of the status quo and wanted change amid desperation, I think everyone understands that.

But electing a Jihadi, fundementalist organisation to lead your side is going to yield a certain result, inevitably, that won't be acceptable to any surrounding nation. The Hamas Charter at the time was to wipe Israel off the map and purge every jew from historical Palestine.

It would be like the people of Iraq democratically electing ISIS as their Government. There's a reason the West Bank is relatively stable compared to Gaza, because the PA controls that to a certain degree and is a far more moderate organisation.

It's just not realistic that Gaza wasn't going to be blockaded. It was either a total blockade or a bloody war. Israel chose the blockade. Was that right? I don't think there's any clear answer but it's not an illogical response.

In the longer term, it's led to more misery and suffering but can hardly blame Israel for not wanting to immediately launch a military conquest of Gaza after literally just withdrawing from the place.

That civilians are dying on any side is not black and white. It's just black, it's wrong, it's not acceptable. Ditto, Israel blockading the essentials of life isn't acceptable. But the wider context is not black and white. War is ugly, it's unfair, it's disgusting, no matter what side you're on.

I would hope that arising from the ashes of this latest escalation will be a sincere, renewed effort to address the future of Palestine, now that the spotlight of the world is upon it. Unfortunately that isn't going to happen if Hamas retain a grip on Gaza.

They made a roll of the dice that by butchering Israeli civilians and drawing a hellfire response that it would galvanise a major response from outside its own borders. Unfortunately I think neighbouring Arab countries want no part of it at a state level. They'll play the part, denouncing, demanding, but ultimately they don't want to take in Palestinians.

So where does anyone go from here. It's a rubix cube with 500 faces. I hope Israel has the sense to come to the table after reaching whatever goals they have set in response to what happened a fortnight ago. It's not about yesterday or today, it's about the future, generations on both sides.

The people of Israel, in the main, want to live a peaceful life. The people of Palestine are no different, and they deserve not just a peaceful life but a peaceful life within a secure state. Both deserve that, in equal measure. Talk of Israel's founding 70 years ago are totally redundant. The country is here. It's not going anywhere. Both sides have to come to the table and get real about the future, be it tomorrow or 10 years from now.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,033 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Well boy howdy I’ll cash this.

Superseding goal for Biden’s trip: delaying a ground invasion.

Fox News critic slams Biden for… delaying the ground invasion.

“I think he delayed the ground invasion,” Pirro said. “I think the hostages are still there. I know they are still, with no independent third party like the International [Committee of the] Red Cross. And he put a burden on Israel, which I thought was really interesting. He said ‘Today, I asked the Israeli cabinet to agree to the delivery of life-saving humanitarian assistance to citizens in Gaza based on the understanding there will be inspections, that the aid should go to the civilians and not Hamas.'”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Seeing the news around this farce along with some of the reaction online makes you wonder are we in some kind of twilight zone.

One question I had this morning was that if there was such a perilous situation in Israel, there is no way Joe Biden would go to Tel Aviv. Not a chance.

Then sure enough, on Biden's departure, RTE news this evening: "Rocket fire into Israel resumed soon after Biden's departure"

Do people actually believe that terrorists are firing off a barrage of rockets into Israel?? Complete and utter nonsense. They then have the nerve to say that the "Iron Dome" is blocking them from doing any damage. How people are swallowing this is the real mystery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,072 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I remember a conversation I had with a ( Irish) academic who explained the American view point on Israel . Basically if Israel doesn’t exist for the American right wing christian American , it’s akin to blasphemy. The 2nd coming will only happen when Israel is free blah blah . Don’t underestimate the power of right wing prodistism ? In America

Advertisement