Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

OK, but you're shifting the goalposts. First it was Israel would be nothing without the US, now it's Israel wouldn't be the same without the US, and your examples are of political backing, not military.

All fair points, and valid, but ultiminately do not threaten the state of Israel.

It's also getting into massive whataboutery territory. What if the US stopped selling to Israel? What if the EU stopped selling to Israel? What if even Russia and China wouldn't sell to Israel?

It also makes the massive assumption that even if all that were to miraculously pass, that Israel would be alone. But it wouldn't. There are massive geopolitical divides within Arab states. So the debate is entirely pointless.

You might as well debate what if China nuked Iran, if Iran stopped supplying Syria or Hezbollah, or what if the US withdraw from Saudi Arabia, which has a massive army completely reliant on the US.

It's not a realistic scenario, and the real world geopolitics aren't going to shift to remotely that degree, so not much point talking about it or making claims on it. Better to debate the real world reality of the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

Let's be clear here. Noone is saying that the creation of Israel was certifably right. But it exists now. It has existed for 70 years, it has an incredibly advanced and wealthy economy, it has a world-class military in the region. Israel is here and it is not going anywhere.

So doesn't matter if you think the foundation of Israel was wrong. It's a perfectly fine opinion, but it's not helpful in debating the current conflict.

No-one is making excuses, more just debating with the actual real-world reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭onlymeself

You must be imagining things. Because, I never said Israel would be nothing without the US. Here's what I said: "If the US washed their hands of them completely tomorrow morning, things would be very different." And they would be. And in my response to you I outlined why I thought they would be.

There is no going back and Israelis won't be leaving now. Best chance of peace is if Israel finish off what they started and take it all. My point is, they are the original aggressor. They have taken something that was not theirs yet many people back them and say they are right to defend what they have as it's all a bit too late now and it's time to move on. Once they eventually take what's left, will we still be saying shur what could they do, they had to defend themselves.

The people who are in what's left of Palestine are facing the reality of what it is like when a group like the Zionists see their plan finally come to fruition.

More misfiring Hamas rockets, this time around Al-Quds hospital in Gaza.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭amandstu

"My  point is, they are the original aggressor"

A narrow point but can it be established who was the initial aggressor?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭political analyst

"Washing their hands of Israel" would leave the US open to being accused of willing to let a second holocaust happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭political analyst

If the conflict escalates and leads to Iran directly attacking Israel and the US retaliating alongside Israel then, despite Iran's assistance to Russia with the "operation" in Ukraine, I doubt that Russia would go to war on Iran's behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Seems to be mostly radical student types debating over and back

No real empathy involved

IDF not happy with the BBC for...being impartial.

The BBC headline clearly states "ACCORDING TO PALESTINIAN OFFICIALS."

All the billions the Yanks send them and they can't get someone with even the most rudimentary reading comprehension skills to run their social media accounts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Well at least we all know and accept now that it was Palestinian's that bombed the hospital that caused 500 death's.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭dennis72

Palestinian leaders are lying playing the media inflating children and women casualties as I have always suspected.

The bombed hospital carpark of a dozen cars had 500 dead my accountant dosent even trust round numbers

Israel"s targets are alway shown civilians why should webelieve these terrorists and show any sympathy surely other Arab state know this is all a charade just to get a non Muslim state out of there backyard.

Give back the hostages now u lying scumbags

• Registered Users Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭patnor1011

I don't think there are a lot of people here who wants Israel gone. They are there and not going anywhere - a lot of countries exist in a place they conquered some time ago and that is just how things are.

Israel's problem is that government support, or tolerate (if not encouraging) creation of illegal settlements where Palestinian landowners are driven away with a force. That is the primary source of tensions as displaced people move to places like Gaza strip or West Bank and what else is there left for them than to vent their anger and join extremist groups. There are not extreme tensions in Israel mainland where orthodox Jews live next to Arab neighbors and we seen incidents where orthodox Jews fought with Israeli police which was trying to remove Palestinian flag.

Every dead extremist (or civilian) encourage another two or more to "join the cause". These things cant be stomped out with violence considering there is also religion in the play. Military solutions are like pouring oil to the fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭patnor1011

"We all know and accept..."

Not there yet.

It appears or there is a speculation that said Palestinian rocket was intercepted in the air which caused it to break apart and part of it fell on parking lot in front of that hospital. Blame should be assigned to both parties equally.

And since rockets are still flying out of Gaza and bombs are still landing in there, nothing changed and carnage continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 anonymouscactus

Yes. I don't think religion is the issue, even if I share your contempt for Abraham, The World's Worst Dad and Most Pathetic Role Model in Human History. But as you acknowledge it all falls apart when you consider the tens of millions slaughtered by 'godless' communists. For me, the problem, as always, is that we don't yet have a way of tackling the fact that the very worst people desire positions of power.. and they will use whatever cultural mores are available to them to achieve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,131 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Not much empathy in attacking posters on the thread while not contributing to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

• Registered Users Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

If the Palestinians aren’t the most oppressed on the planet who are? Genuine question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Like last weeks massive terrorist attack people will always stand and deny what happened no matter what the facts are

Look up the 1947 United Nations Partition Plan for Palestine, Resolution 181 (II), where a two-state solution was offered - a solution accepted by the Jews, but rejected by the Arabs.

The Arabs then launched war against the Jews, lost that war - and have subsequently spent the last 75-years launching further wars against Israel.

Perhaps if the Arabs simply accepted the two-state solution in 1948, as the Jews did, it would have saved three-quarters of a century of animus and bloodshed.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭dennis72

• Registered Users Posts: 13,517 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Not when you reply to a flat earther like Barkus.

Even the holocaust denier Cheerless is claiming there weren't 500 people killed. Dueling CT loons, enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I find the BBC Verify pieces good. They put a lot of effort into trying to get all the information and presenting what they think really happened in certain situations.

Here is their piece about the hospital explosion.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-67144061

• Registered Users Posts: 13,517 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

"It's founding was a mistake to begin with, has caused nothing but misery ever since and those still opposed to it's founding have every right to continue to take that stance."

Over the top. The founding of Israel has led many to peace, prosperity and success. Plenty of joy.

Just ask the Arab citizens of Israel, especially women, their politicians, businesses... Or the Jewish citizens.

Protest is a supported right in most Western countries and Israel, not so much Islamic states in the ME however.

Protesting something that took place 70 years ago is absurd. Might as well protest going to the moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Not a massive difference to the borders we have today. That feels coincidental.

Realistically you can offer somebody below market rate for their house but they're entitled to reject it.

Negotiation should mean both parties get a good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 muob

@Multipass because its NEEDED!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

I think the starting point has to be "You dont attack us, and we wont attack you back". How about just hold it there for a while.

Then you can start trying to integrate properly. But if someone crosses a border, murders hundreds of women and children, drags them back over the border as hostages or parades their bodies around the street. Well thats the starting point for something completely different.

Time to get back to the you dont kill us and we wont kill you status again. Easier said than done though. Ive seem family feuds all started and gone on for decades where just 2 people had a disagreement at the start.

• Advertisement

I'm well aware of 1947. Oh they should have just accepted it. Why?

Advertisement