Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"I started a joke, that started the whole world ......" | Ireland v New Zealand.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭standardg60

Completely agree, many capable and fit players were underused against the weaker teams.

I find the SA crew grand and the rest of the Kiwis. The only Kiwi who ever made a cheap shot at me was you, and the reason seemed to be I wasn't concerned enough about the demise of Australian rugby😅Your concern for my mental health was touching. I was new to the forum and you seemed to feel you could throw your weight around a bit. You needn't worry I'm well balanced😂

• Registered Users Posts: 69,100 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

As the days go on the more I think it was critical.

And I was ok with Farrell sending out the full team for the pool games.

Faith in our squads ability rather than the A team might be the key we are looking for.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Personally, I think I'm a delight. But yeah SA fans have the top step of the pedestal all on their own.

I'm absolutely here for the spite from NZ, as far as I'm concerned it just means we have properly made it on the international stage. They just don't care about Wales/Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭standardg60

Me too, in the heat of the moment i was one of the first to call it a bottling, but looking back to Beirne running the length of the field to score a last minute meaningless try against Romania in that heat and contrasting him to receiving the ball from Murray in what the 32nd phase late on against NZ and just standing still only able to raise an arm to absorb the tackle has made me think again.

Seemingly two Irish players played every minute of every game, Keenan was one, was Beirne the other? That is just too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭downtheroad

South Africa played scrum halves on the wings against Romania. They got the job done.

We played pretty much a full strength team against the same useless opposition.

Very very foolish by the management.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

South Africa had just played the ruqby championship. we were coming in from the off season with players having played only 2 or 3 games before the worqld cups started.

It wasnt foolish. would it have been better to have more players going in cold with having played even less before the biggest game of pool stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

The reactions from some posters are a bit over the top. Just read through last 10 pages or so. Ireland had a good tournament, didn't put a foot wrong until Saturday when unfortunately there are no 2nd chances.

Personally, I think the vast majority of people I talked to underestimated NZ hugely, mainly because of their performance v SA in Twickenham, for which they apparently only landed in England the day before. They beat SA convincingly in rugby championship like only they can. Yes, they lost 1st match v France but were in a group where they scored 96 pts against the 3rd placed team so were always getting out of that group.

And remember our series win, they scored 40+ pts in opening test in Auckland against us. So they can turn it on for sure.

The current NZ 23, if they get their act together, have a higher ceiling than any other in the tournament IMO. They may not win it, but I make them favourites. If it comes to pass, I hope they force SA to play rugby like France did by scoring early.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Yes very foolish. Look at the end result, an absolutely shattered team knocked out in the quarter finals.

There is a squad for a reason. Across the Romania and Tonga games it could have been arranged for every player to play and also therefore rest.

These guys play together so frequently they didn't need glorified run outs against 2 filler teams to knit as a unit.

I think Farrell will learn a lot for 2027 if he's around. But the question arises whether we have the depth to do what South Africa did.

We ended up having to play the full team v the Scots because we thought they were better than they were.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Would we have done better with players not having the game time built up needed to peak in a 1/4?

We primarily needed our main players to get game time to be best prepped for the bigger games. The players didnt need game time to get together as a unit but to get minutes in the legs. in any other year bar a world cup year we would be aiming to peak for games far later than September/October.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Scotland game wasn't really the issue. We would have played the full team against Scotland no matter what, they're a tier 1 team.

We probably could have rotated more for the Tonga / Romania games.

Things were complicated a bit though by Sexton's ban meaning he really had to play those games, O'Brien being injured for the early games, and Conan being injured for the early games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Cill94

I don't personally subscribe to this fatigue theory. Keenan had a good game on Saturday. Aki also had started every game, and was probably our standout player. We are also probably the luckiest team so far with injuries, which is a major indicator of our fatigue being low.

Saturday's game was just an exhausting affair, that had both teams out on their feet by the end. If Barrett isn't under that ball and we don't have to go 37 phases, nobody is talking about fatigue. It had the most ball in play time of any RWC game this tournament, and chasing a game is particularly exhausting.

Bottom line is we got a nasty QF draw and NZ just performed better on the day. One of their best performances in years. It's the fact this team deserved more than a quarter final that makes it sting so much. France were in the same boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,490 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

We definitely could have started lads like McCarthy, Baird, McCloskey, O'Toole and others in those 1st 2 games. Bringing Earls, McCloskey and Kilcoyne was also a mistake imo, another backrow forward, and utility back would've allowed for better rotation.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think you can argue that bringing Conan was a mistake too. I'm not sure he'd have been brought if they'd known he'd be unavailable for 4/5 pool games.

Agree on that, he was very good on the weekend, but can't honestly say it was worth the extra minutes it forced on Doris etc, when Prendergast or someone could've been playing instead

• Registered Users Posts: 16,828 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

What was the reason for not playing the fringe players in the other games against Tonga and Romania ? Was Farrell afraid that momentum would be lost if they had poor performances against the so-called minnows? Perhaps Farrell didn't really believe he had the strength in depth to rest key players against the weaker teams.

One other question, was Kelleher being held up by Barrett purely a question of lacking the necessary strength to ground the ball? Would the likes of Furlong and Porter have had the power to get the ball down in that position?

From rewatching, it looked like Kelleher allowed himself to get unbound from his blockers as they drove for the line. Just poorly done on his part. I'd wager Herring would've scored that tbh.

I think they were used as warm ups to get the first team up to speed.

No just bad timing, use of his body. Use of your blockers. It's a skill timing when to go and spotting the gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Scotland one of the few (the only?) major nation to still not have beaten NZ. There, that’s my Kiwi arrogance shining through 😛

The vast majority of us are happy there’s another major rivalry now. Especially given how Australia have fallen away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Green Peter

I wonder if any consideration was given to taking Sexton off in the last 10 minutes and bringing on Crowley, I thought he was out on his feet and struggling, I know it would have meant ending his career prematurely but is it an elephant in the room. Did it compromise management.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

It's definitely not an elephant in the room 😂

Pretty much the only thing discussed in the last 20 pages

There is an argument that Crowley's running threat and injection of energy could have added something, but Sexton was still getting the team into good positions until the very end of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Green Peter

If you look at the final phase there is a point were he is standing still in the middle giving off 'out on his feet' vibes, but at the very end before the turnover he is running around the ruck trying to get the ball and keep it moving.

He was tired no doubt, but I think you want experience on the field all day long given the situation we were in.

It's notable that it was callow youth in the shape of McCarthy that failed to emphatically clear Whitelock out of the final ruck.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,644 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

We got from inside our own 22 to inside their 22 from his organisation, at a time when we needed to score a try. The all blanks never laid a hand on him either.

We literally could not have had a better rugby player on the planet in that position in that situation at that time.

Another one to turn the knife after an unprecedented journey for this Irish team. 🙄 Tiresome really.

We have won everything there is to win at rugby at provincial and country level several times, except this competition.

We haven't yet gotten the easy route to a semi final or final some teams get. We have met worthy winners early in knockout games in games that would be worthy of any final.

That's the luck of the draw.

I'm certainly not going to turn a knife in the back of otherwise high achievers. Some people would be well advised to try and keep their dignity and sense of perspective in defeat. They won't of course.

Post edited by FrancieBrady on

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I think Johnny Holland summed it up fairly well yesterday when asked about introducing Crowley. He knows Crowley well and has coached him at Cork Con. He definitively said no, the management were not going to remove Sexton nor would he have done so if he had been the coach. Anything said since is just people suggesting something could have been different to potentially change the final outcome.

The fact of the matter is that whether Sexton was shattered or not, he still directed play for 37 phases and took us 40-50m downfield in those closing minutes. That was the single longest passage of ball in play time in this entire RWC to date so tiredness was significantly exacerbated by it and during it for every player on the field.

Crowley could have contributed, I'm sure but I doubt there's a coach in the RWC that was making that specific change. Perhaps you bring him on at 12 or 15 but I don't really see that happening either given Aki and Keenan are key guys too.

No your grandmother would be targeted and I'm sure she's a great woman but would find it difficult tackling big men in their prime.

You have one line throughout your posts 'Rassie says we're softies'. Rassie says a lot of things, they aren't all true.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Seems that people are allowed to list out all the mistakes made and all the examples of underperformance.

They just aren't allowed to say that Ireland underperformed.

They are allowed to list out all of the things that were in Irelands favour pregame.

But they aren't allowed to say Ireland were favourites.

Strange.

• Advertisement
Advertisement