Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cult of Stephen Kenny

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,184 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Maybe his Dundalk teams were just hungrier than the Irish team? they weren't on big money like the Irish team. I think a lot of the Irish team have let him down to be honest, they didnt try their hardest and made some awful mistakes that Kenny cant be blamed for.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,640 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

True, but there are a number of other variables. In Steve Staunton's time 16 teams qualified for the Euros in 2008.

Austra and Switzerland qualified as hosts that left 14 spots.

The qualifying format was changed compared to previous tournaments. The winners and runners-up from seven groups automatically qualified for the Championship, with the hosts filling the other two slots in the 16-team tournament. The change means there were no play-offs between teams finishing in second place in the groups – they qualified directly for the finals. Teams that finished outside the top two positions in their groups failed to qualify

Fast forward to Stephen Kenny's time. There will be 24 teams in the Euros 2024.

Germany as host - plus 23 remaining spots will be determined by a qualifying tournament; 20 spots will be decided by the direct qualification of the winners and runners-up of the 10 qualifying groups, with the remaining three spots decided by play-offs. Places in the play-offs will be given to the teams that perform the best in the 2022–23 UEFA Nations League who have not already qualified via the main qualifying tournament.

--

You mention Robbie Keane, Duff, Given.

It was used as an argument that Kenny did not have a Robbie Keane no one to finish the chances was the argument.

But Kenny has a Golden Boy nominee Evan Ferguson made his debut back in November 2022. And when Ferguson did play v Greece (for example) look how isolated he was, mainly because of Kenny's tactics.

OK Bazunu is no Given, but he has had a lot of EPL experience at a young age already, Ogbene (one of Kenny's real finds) he is no Duff but plays EPL a real trier with pace and energy. Ideal for quick direct ball and counter attacking.

Kenny has other EPL players Cullen, Collins, O'Shea. Also has decent English Championship players Robinson, Egan, Duffy etc. It was not long ago that Collins and Cullen in particular were been talked up.

A half decent manager should be able to get some sort of tune out of these players, particulary as it is so much easier to qualify for tournaments than it ever was. Ireland should at least be pushing for qualification either through the nations league or league proper. Making it awkward for teams that are better than them on paper, and getting the wins against the weaker teams. That is not really asking for much. Qualifying for tournaments now is nearly like a school sports day.

Back in Big Jack's time only 8 teams qualified for Euro 88 - 8 teams! Qualification used to be a real acheievement even for the stronger nations like England.

But basically what people are saying now is a that a mixture of Championship players and a few few EPL players is not enough to qualify for tournaments which are been constantly expanded, with plenty of routes to a play off at least. There is something seriously wrong.

And you can't put all the blame on the lack of quality players

Other teams who are on similar levels manage to (time of writing) :

A) Qualify directly or qualify for a play off via nations league - Scotland, Georgia, Finland, Bosnia

B) Be in the mix for qualification - Albania, Greece, Wales, Israel, Iceland, Luxembourg, Kazakhstan, Solvakia

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,202 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

More teams qualify, true, but we still got France and the Netherlands in our group.

Greece seem to be on the up but I'm not sure about their level. FIFA rankings suggest they're about our level. A quick look at their squad shows a lot of players playing European football. I don't think you can say we 'should' be beating Greece, though a defeat at home is poor.

The only team we can safely say that we should be beating home and away is Gibraltar which we did.

Its pointless to look at other teams that are in different groups. Though, it is worth pointing out that there are more groups now and less minnows per group. Just because more teams than ever qualify doesn't mean we should automatically be there; it actually makes groups more competitive.

The Nations League is all teams of, arguably, the same level so the fine margins in each game can go one way or the other. The WC qualifiers will be tough. Bigger groups and less spots.

And, funnily enough, we might still end up in a playoff for the Euros, because of Kenny.

That has always been the way with Ireland teams though, the FAI are to blame etc. But other Irish managers could get Ireland punching above their weight, causing the odd shock and qualifying for tournaments.

The Irish soccer situation will never really change until we see individual boards threads for individual LOI teams, and not a focus on British teams, with just one LOI thread. But that is never going to happen. Irish soccer has to make do with this culture and work around it as best they can.

As for Kenny not resigning. I think it is simply because he is hoping for a pay off if he is sacked? I mean money is money - handy money at at that. It is no wonder he is staying.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,287 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Truth, he’ll hang on in for as long as he can 💶💶💶💶💶💶 he’s not going to kiss goodbye a six figure cash payoff…

Just seeing we have a friendly against New Zealand next month….. just shows you the fûcking mentality of our leadership both Kenny and the FAI… that they set up a friendly against NZ. WHY ?

that team are ranked 104 in the world…..we are 55. So there can be no plus points or positives to be taken… we beat them… that’s expected, no kudos or back patting…we should put 3 or 4 past them…..they get a result here or we just scrape a win 🙈… a rod has been made for our collective back…

Czech Republic or Sweden or Austria… would be way more suitable opponents….

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

he has 1 month left why on earth would the FAI be on the hook for a 6 fig payoff?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,287 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

His contract is till 2024. What you are referring to is the break clause… which does take effect in a month I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭JeffreyEpspeen

Absolutely gormless head on him on the touchline all the time. Reminds me of Dougal in Father Ted. Then you have O'Shea who is too nice. And Andrews who is a David Brent-esque character.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭reclose

I’m not defending Kenny at all. I think his time is up. Can you point to one of my posts where I have said differently?

You are the second poster who’s engaged with me who is certain Kenny is out of his depth and playing the wrong style but can’t offer an alternative style of tactics that suits our current squad.

How can you be sure changing tactics will lead to better results?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Kenny has a better squad than McCarthy but far worse results. Do you know our World ranking before Kenny and where he's left us? Do you know how seeding for major tournament draws are decided?

The team wasn't in serious transition, they nearly qualified for Euro 2020 when Kenny took over. Then he had numerous new players emerge to bolster the squad.

You don't think another manager could have possibly done better than 6 major failures in 3 years, coming near the bottom of every Nation's League and qualification campaign and dropped us 25 places down the World rankings?

Luckily the Kennyites like you have finally had their day. You got it wrong, Kenny is finished and the nightmare 3 years are coming to an end.

• Advertisement

We're highly unlikely to even get into the playoffs because of Kenny! That's how bad he's been. And even with reasonable results, we would have been second seeds for the France/Holland draw so his awful results had a big part to play in that draw. Greece have a far worse squad than ours and their manager humiliated Kenny and his assistant twice! He made an absolute show of them.

All of this is ignoring that Kenny had to get coaches in to sort out the team formation, set up and tactics because when he tried on his own he couldn't get a victory and we only scored 1 goal. His reign has been a nightmare from start to finish.

It's almost impossible to have as bad a record as Kenny has had with the players we have. Wanting an actual competent manager in charge doesn't require anyone to explain what tactics they'd like employed.

Lads, it's alright. A 22 year old Championship player who's played seven senior games at Championship level is immediately going to change our fortunes. World Cup 26 here we come!

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭reclose

If someone is being highly critical of something I’d expect to hear an alternative solution from them.

I guess we’ll see from the next manager what these players are capable of.

I just hope it doesn’t mean returning to aimless long balls conceding possession immediately and two rows of players on our 18 yard box for the majority of the game.

Did you prefer coming near the bottom of every Nation's League and qualification group? Losing to Luxembourg and Armenia? Being humiliated by Greece twice? I don't want a return to long ball tactics either but it's far preferable to the absolute muck we've had to watch for the past 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,184 ✭✭✭pgj2015

we werent humiliated by Greece, they didnt beat us 7-0 and its not like they are ranked 200.

Their manager made an absolute laughing stock of our management team. Humiliated them. First by telling everyone how easy it was to tactically outsmart them. Then laughed off Andrews stupid comments, pulled their pants down and spanked them again on our home pitch. It's embarrassing.

Poyet isn't even a very good manager but he gave the group a really good go with a worse squad than ours. He's on similar money to Kenny. It really kills the Kenny apologists in their tracks. All their excuses are destroyed by one example.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,242 ✭✭✭Gusser09

We were. And we have been humiliated by Luxembourg, Finland, Azerbaijan and a few others under Kennys tenure. We haven't had a hope of qualifying with him at the helm.

Will Steve Bruce, Wilder, Hughton, Keane etc lead us to qualification? Possibly not. I firmly believe though that we will be in the mix going into the last few games for at least a playoff and we won't have to listen to conflated and poorly articulated reason as to why we are failing.

Andrews comments reminded me of David Meyler's comments before the second leg of the Denmark game. If he said what he said as some motivational tool, it clearly didn't work. I knew we were defeated again as soon as he came out with that claptrap.

As for Gary Dicker. Some prick if he helped the coaching staff of a team playing his own country but, being Irish, you get used to these embarrassments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Greece do not have a far worse squad than Ireland. They're equally as poor as each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

And they completely outplayed them twice. In two of Kenny's biggest games.

Collins is a bombscare. O'Shea struggled tremendously in the PL with West Brom and I was amazed when Burnley bought him; not surprised he's been dropped already. Omobamidele is a project for NF, not one viewed as PL ready. Cullen is a major part of our midfield problem and a key reason why teams keep getting loads of space to take shots from outside the box in territory he should be commanding. Molumby is an overly aggressive headless chicken with no composure; a red card waiting to happen. Knight hasn't built on his second season with Derby at all and has completely lost any goal threat he once possessed. Bazunu makes a daft mistake in almost every club game he plays and instils no confidence in his defense, who get the blame for all of his misgivings. Connolly is a streak player who doesn't possess any confidence in front of goal and will never establish the momentum to be a top forward at this level. Idah is, more often than not, a nonentity. Parrott has found his level at a **** Dutch team. Kelleher is going to finish his career with about 50 senior club appearances at this rate and his rare forays in the Liverpool team are reflected in the mistakes he has made for us (Ukraine) on the rare occasions he's been called into action.

Fair few reality checks we've been getting over some of our hyped younger players.

We're just not that good, sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Its great for the FAI that he's getting all the flak because they are the ones who are responsible.

Clearly, the FAI could be doing better, but the "best supporters in the world" can't be exempt from their failure to support Irish football and put more pressure on the Government to fund the sport.

Most international teams are 'not that good' though. Most are average to poor which is what Ireland are. I don't expect Ireland to be qualifying for every tournament. But Ireland should at least be in the mix and look competent beside other average or poor sides.

And this chat of hoofball annoys me. hoofball is direct football done INCORRECTLY and a team playing with fear. There is nothing wrong with a more direct style when done with a plan or purpose. A counter attacking more direct style, with high energy would suit this Irish side with the players they have. Don't try and play through midfield if the midfield is not good technically focus on the fast players down the wings. Ogbene does it well for Luton playing in a weak side against sides which are much better technically in the so called 'best league in the world'.

It makes way more sense then trying possession football INCORRECTLY, passing it for the sake of it sideways being easy to play against with no real penetration from Cullen as you mention.

All the players you list other average to poor international sides would make use of. A good manager would mask their weaknesses and play to their strengths. And get some sort of tune out of them. Also I feel Ireland needs to bring back some of the more experienced players just to have them around the squad as an influence, leaders. This Irish team has none. And as Kenny took the physicality out of them making it even worse.

But all these young lads you mention seem to be very passive, the type of 'nice lads' a mother would love her daughter to marry. Ireland needs to throw in a few dogs into the mix in the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭John arse

I remember under Stan’s tenure the minnows of the group at the time (can’t remember who) lost a game something like 11-0 and their the next game 7-0 and Stan when interviewed reckoned they were improving!!!🤔

It's a bit like the Kenny Cunningham spin after losing to Luxembourg about them being more technically gifted than us and all of the shite. No kenny they're not. We just have a shite manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Ozvaldo

Playing 3 centre halfs against teams using wingers not get tactics -no wonder we dont win games

I didn't say automatically, I said Ireland should at least be in the mix. Ireland are in group with the Netherlands and France, precisely because Kenny flopped against the teams Ireland should be getting results against in Nations league etc. Each international game is now important for seedings etc.

Ireland have been a distant fourth in the group not even putting it up to Greece/Netherlands. I am convinced that this Ireland side managed by Mick McCarthy would have at least made it awkward for those two sides. That Netherlands side was there to be 'got at'. Greece were let do what they liked, the Irish side again were passive when it mattered.

If Mick was in charge there is no way Ireland would have being such a soft touch defensively for a start. Look at the manner of Ireland's defeats. Kenny is to blame for this, a team is a reflection of the manager.

The fact Ireland still might end up in a play off spot despite only beating Gibraltar twice proves my point. It is becoming more difficult not to get a play off spot, than it is to get one. Because the football organisers have made it way easier to get into tournaments. Imagine how well Ireland would have done during the last three years if they had a competent manager?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Ozvaldo

They are obviously a way better team technically than us

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement