Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭ps200306

You have to laugh. Big Wind is blaming European governments for being too focused on price. Because everyone knows that wind power is the cheapest form of energy no matter how much it costs, right? 🤣

From the Business Post ESG briefing...

Faced with soaring costs, many offshore wind developers are facing up to the reality that their projects may now be economically unviable based on the state-backed contracts they originally signed up to. Picture: Getty

Wind energy supply chain ‘cannot cope’ with drive for lower prices as inflation ramps up input costs

The focus of European governments seeking to incentivise the development of offshore wind has to move away from price or new projects will never be built, a senior renewable energy executive has warned. Philip Cole, director of industrial affairs at Wind Europe, a trade association representing over 500 wind companies, said the supply chain “cannot cope” with the constant drive for lower prices at a time when inflation was driving up raw material costs.

“There's been a constant drive in the wind industry through innovation to get costs down to the point where offshore wind is now the cheapest form of new energy generation. So, we're already in a good place,” Cole told a trade show organised by Wind Energy Ireland in Dublin last week. “However, I think the focus on pricing has got us to the point where, when you add in inflation and other issues, we're now starting to see some developers starting to say they’re not sure they can build this wind farm now.

“We have to move away from this constant drive for lower prices. The supply chain can't cope with that anymore,” he said. Cole added that a large European developer had recently halted work on a large offshore wind farm off the east coast of England due to soaring costs, referring to Vattenfall, the Swedish energy company, which ceased work on its 1.4 gigawatt (GW) Norfolk Boreas offshore wind project last July. Faced with soaring construction and material costs, particularly for wind turbines and blades, many offshore wind developers are facing up to the reality that their projects may now be economically unviable based on the state-backed contracts they originally signed up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

"We have to move away from this constant drive for lower prices. The supply chain can't cope with that anymore,” he said.

So, the price is too low and he wants companies to be able to charge whatever they want. That makes sense from an industry standpoint.

I see this going two ways: 1 companies pull out of production because of increasing costs ( already happening) and 2: in order to keep those companies investing the state ( ie the people, current and future generations) picks up the tab/ extra costs, reduces barriers/objection processes against wind energy ( but of course strengthens them for nuclear) to meet the Co2 emission targets (this of course does not solve the supply chain issues at all).

Question is: which of the political parties will support the 2nd option? We know who certainly will but i can see enormous backlash against this by voters.

As i said many times before: uncertainty kills risk taking. Gamble on Green energy is now seen as the unreliable juggernaut it is. A wabbly beast ready to crush everything underneath. It can..not...replace..the current system. Positivity runs into a reality wall. We can see it all around us..

Saw this at a supermarket near me this morning, we should see our recycling %'s increase when these begin operation next Feb 👍

Personally I gave up the car years ago so I don't worry about it but this will be welcome news for those that don't feel the need for silly SUV types.

It's amazing how much I've saved over the last few years by not owning a car.

For the very rare times when a car is the only viable option I use GoCar.

Other than that I walk/cycle 90% of the time, bus/train for maybe another 9%,only 1% of the time is a car needed for my lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

It is likely ev cars from the east are going to come to market; perhaps on discounted prices. China actually has a problem selling them in their own country. The main issue in the EU is stalled home connectors, remote shut off options (city/state) and the battery issue, the latter ongoing. I can see people's uncertainty resulting in buying 2nd hand ice cars for the moment until they feel the issues settled enough. That could be a while. A lot of ev sales are not 2nd hand but 2nd cars. Keeps the options open and people can pretend they are 'saving the planet'.

Hybrids are still the best bet..

• Advertisement

Hybrids are literally the worst of both options with few of the benefits of either due to dual drive systems.

This is exactly why you can't get grants for hybrids anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭roosterman71

The Chinese EVs could be hit with EU tariffs in the not too distant future. Ursala vdL said as much in a recent address in the EU where she accused the Chinese manufactures from benefitting from state supports to enable to sell cheaply within the EU, thus undercutting the EUs own manufacturing base.

The plans will go ahead with ten conditions attached, one stating that works must take place within the next ten years.

Good they have scope here to reverse this if the need arises

Not really, the planning permission refusal saw fit to that. There is no path forward for it to be reactivated in line with the CAP. Its dead in the water.

Besides, there's big plans for that site that don't involve burning peat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,062 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Peat is dead.

Gas is the gap filler out to 2050, oil is the interim solution until gas infrastructure is up capacity. Coal is still possible.

For coal Moneypoint is the last coal plant and will cease coal burning in 2025, switching to oil and only being used as a backup generator from 2025-2029 based on recent reports

The longer term plans for it are to use green hydrogen I believe

Tarbert is oil, but is switching to biofuels at the end of this year and also going to green hydrogen longer term

Are there any other oil or gas power plants? I know loads of the gas plants have oil as backup but thats it afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭ginger22

And what is the backup plan when all this "green" electricity fails to be delivered.

So much destruction in Cork with the recent floods. Met Eireann had this to say

• Registered Users Posts: 5,040 ✭✭✭Shoog

The reason why many people are not prioritizing climate change is because they are to busy dealing with the consequences of climate change.

The people of Syria were facing years of drought and crop failures, forcing many country farmers to move to the city's destabalizing the already poor communities. This led to anti government protests and eventually civil war.

The Syrians were not thinking about the climate change that destabalized their communities when they were picking their dead children's out of the ruble caused by Wagner mercenaries bombing their communities.

Neither will most of the people of cork be thinking about climate change as they try to rebuild their lives after the devastating floods they have just faced.

Climate change is easy to ignore when your life is swamped by the crisis that it causes.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

Maybe now they'll adjust the corner, even the much loved TFI buses cannot navigate and no mean dastardly cars to block them turning either.

No. The Lee cannot cope with a month's worth of rain in a day.

The unfortunate fact is that dredging rivers just worsens flooding downstream at the estuaries such as cork city.

Before (1995):

After: (2013)

And plenty more building done since 2013. But it's nothing to do with building more across flood plains and lack of river dredging and clearing of storm drains, all C02 - no doubt. And all the carbon taxes paid by Midleton residents has done what for the town? Nada.

So a month's worth of rain in a day was not material. As I said, dredging pleases upstream farmers but is a catastrophy for estuine cities.

Deny, deny deny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

I expect as much from climate bed-wetters, shoehorning any weather event into their invalid apocryphal beliefs.. This is Clionadh Raleigh in a presentation from 2017 taking an axe to your claims.

There is a cottage industry that has emerged to promote (i.e climate conflict meme) and others very similar to it, and those people and institutions …will find evidence or will…I hesitate to use the word “manipulate”…they will provide evidence as they see fit. There’s plenty of evidence that many of these presumed relationships are nonsense, but they are routinely used by the military or development organizations or by government…

This is what she said on Syria during the Q & A.

…the 150 different militia groups that have emerged in Libya or the 1000 that have emerged within Syria are not doing it because it didn’t rain 10 years ago. That’s not why they’re fighting…

It did disturb me, the way (climate) caught on as the main lens through which people wanted to understand violence…especially the narrative about Syria is quite disturbing”

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,973 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Hopefully but they will be an inconvenience for people who were already 100% recyclers.

Whether you like it or not (and frankly I don't give a **** what you like), increasingly natural disasters, regional conflicts and mass migrations are been driven by climate change caused events. The floods in the South of Ireland are just another one to add to the list.

You always have the option to not use them and continue on as you are, nobody is being forced to use them

Dredging rivers does not worsen flooding at sea-level estuaries. The causes of flooding in 'estuine cities' is a lack of defence from high tides combining with strong contra-flow winds and also poor to non existent maintenance of local storm drains.

In Midleton the issues were multifaceted - firstly, the volume of water the rivers can carry has decreased owing to silt buildup on the river bed; secondly, the building upon of natural flood plains over the past half century - accelerated in recent decades; thirdly, the lack of flood defences which have been promised time and time again for the town.

The residents have been here before, several times. But nothing gets done. The longer this goes on - the worse it will be from even lesser heavy rain events. Continued silt buildup in the river beds means the carrying capacity of the rivers into the future will reduce further - a 65mm rain event will likely cause as much disruption as yesterday's 80mm did.

If all of Midleton went zero emissions, yesterday's event would still have happened, if all of Ireland went zero emissions, yesterday's event would still have happened, if all of Europe went zero emissions, yesterday's event would still have happened.

Has the penny dropped yet?

Adaptation, like humans have always done is the answer. Nature is not tame, it never was. A small bit of C02 eitherway is not making a damn lot of difference.

Ask yourself this question - which of the following scenarios would have largely avoided the flooding in Midleton yesterday:

1: A net-zero Cork, Ireland or even EU?

or

2: River dredging, flood defences, storm drain clearance and maintenance and better planning for new buildings?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,973 ✭✭✭✭elperello

That's good news.

I was under the impression that a deposit would be charged for each can/bottle to be returned when you put it in the new facility.

Dredged rivers flow faster and so collect more water and transfer it downstream more rapidly, especally if there has been any straightening of meanders. This has been well know for literally decades. Upland management is the main method of slowing flow into the river basin and therefore spreading the flood out over a longer period of time - hence lessening the sudden pulse of floodwater. Upland management involves encouraging scrub growth and preserving pristine bogs.

Farmers love dredging because it removes the flooding from their mid-river lands and concentrates it into the lower reaches - where most of the urban centers are. Flood management has been based upon this understanding that dredging only encourages more serious downstream flooding and that is the main reason it has been reduced. Best to keep water in the mid reach flood plains where it belongs for the longest time possible, farmers hate this - but that doesn't make them right.

Of course all of this has been made considerably worse by concreting over the flood plains.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

Word for word what John gibbons was saying on the radio earlier.how dare we have common sense and clean up rivers and drains.

• Advertisement

Common sense is really not common. Farmers often believe they know better than hydrologists but we all know that they are wrong.

Advertisement