Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lyons square bags

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Glaceon

They did convert to biodegradable materials a few years ago. I remember having a few burst on me afterwards. A friend of mine on Facebook said the same thing. But it settled down after a while and it has been a long while since one burst.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭Butson

interview here with the Head of the new company. Confirms that pyramid bags being replaced with square.

INTERVIEW

Lipton’s Nathalie Roos: I’ll make PG Tips as cool as coffee

While sales of our traditional cuppa have sunk, Roos is brewing up ways to reverse the trend

The Alsace-born Nathalie Roos turned around Mars’s French business, ditching products. At Lipton it’s the same recipe

t’s hotter than hell in London, but Nathalie Roos looks as cool as only the French can.

She puts it down to her Christian Dior trouser suit, selected by her personal shopper back home in Strasbourg, but that doesn’t explain why the Brits in the hotel bar are sweating buckets while she’s as fresh as a mojito.

Luckily, the Alsace-born executive runs Lipton Teas and Infusions, the multibillion-pound business behind that most British of brands, PG Tips. So, while the tables around us tuck into G&Ts, we slake our thirsts with a refreshing cuppa — black, no sugar, for her; white, with one, for me.

Business briefing Morning and midday updates on financial and economic news from our award-winning business team. Sign up with one click

“Tea is so central in this country,” she says. “It’s like, tea can solve it all.”

Unilever didn’t agree. Last year it sold its tea operations to the private equity house CVC for €4.5 billion, having failed to improve its flatlined sales for years.

The new owners tapped up Roos from L’Oréal, where she’d been running the professional products business, selling €900 million a year’s worth of Kérastase, Redken and other haircare brands to hairdressers.

Disposing of Unilever’s name “ekaterra”, Roos has rebranded the tea portfolio

ALAMY

She doesn’t mince her French-inflected words when asked about Unilever’s stewardship of Lipton, whose cuppas also include Pukka, T2 and Tazo. The brands, she says, had got “lost” in the vast business, whose products ranged from razors to soap.

“What we inherited from Unilever was a lack of pride and confidence, both in the brands and in the [tea] category.”

Nothing highlighted this more than its irritating decision to choose a made-up name for the teas operation when it decided to split the brands away from the core Unilever business. It came up with “ekaterra”. A random word typed out by an infinite number of PG Tips chimpanzees? No. Unilever’s marketing guff said eka is sanskrit for “one” and terra is Latin for “Earth”.

Roos will have none of it: “They made up this name to hide and look like they’re a sustainable, tah, tah, tah [French for “blah blah blah”] company.”

Changing the name to Lipton — the biggest brand in the portfolio, with €1 billion of turnover in more than 100 countries — was one of her first moves.

She says the lack of attention Unilever had paid to the business provides an opportunity to expand it and make a profit in the process. Not just growing the company, but the tea market generally.

A former marketer for Nescafé’s arch rival Maxwell House, she says the tea industry should have learnt from the coffee market, where brands invested to go upmarket and expand demand. Where coffee sales volumes in the UK have surged from 50 million kg a year to nearly 90 million over the past 20 years, tea has shrunk from 120 million to nearly 80 million, according to Kantar data.

Roos says: “We will take industry leadership because nobody else has. Unilever should have done it, but because tea was so small in their total portfolio they have not done it. Now, we will. We are a €2 billion [a year] business, dedicated only to tea, with a fantastic portfolio of brands.”

The PG Tips pyramid tea bag will be dropped in favour of a square bag, though one of higher quality filter paper.

• Always found Pg tips very weak tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

She's surprisingly forthright for a CEO of a multi billion euro company, I'm in danger of actually starting to like her

Let's hope she turns the business around, but it's difficult to see how

Tea is about a generic a product as there is. Herbal tea brands like Pukka were probably the closest they got to upmarket

My main worry is they'll ruthlessly cut costs and ditch the underperforming brands, which would probably include Lyon's as it's only popular in one corner of Ireland

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Scipri0

Normally when a company changes a product's packaging and design, some use that to hide the fact that they've downsized the product. So compare the new box with the old and see if there's any difference, like less teabags etc.

• Advertisement

The box of 160 is definitely smaller, I'd say it's between half and two thirds the size of the red box

The shrinkage is probably down to the flat bags packing better

This would definitely be a cost saving as you can fit more boxes to a pallet. Cutting the number of pallets shipped to Ireland by 30% would probably represent a significant saving

Also the different blends are now all in similar boxes (all green). Again that's a saving on printing because 90% of the box can be done on a single printer using the same ink and the different bits only use a small amount of ink

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭techman1

that suggests that the consumer is not as powefull as 20 years ago, therefore producers are happy to streamline operations, improve efficiencies and cut costs confident that it won't be detrimental to demand. 20 years ago it was all about appealing to the consumer, fancy boxes, pyramid tea bags, loads of TV advertising etc, now it seems they don't feel the need to do that anymore. Its the same thing with cars because of production constraints and shortages, the big car companies are not advertising like they used to except for electric cars which are basically a new product

• It’s more the way advertising works has shifted. TV adverts don’t have the reach they once did. Ads on social media (incl YouTube, twitch etc) would serve more people than TV these days especially with younger people.

Also how products looks is less of a concern to the consumer as much as sustainability in packaging etc.

Brands are still targeting the consumer but in different and generally far more subtle ways. In your face advertising is seen as offensive and annoying or intrusive.

And I think it’s fair to say everyone especially now is more cost aware. Fancy gimmicks at the expense of consumers won’t sell products. People are far more price concerned and a lot will happily sub Lyon’s or Barry’s for a cheaper alternative. It’s a competitive market to be in and brand recognition won’t win like it used to.

Sustainability, quality & affordability are far more important than in your face advertising or pyramids. At least that would be my opinion.

The consumer has more power than you might think.

I'm not so sure about that - Tea's not that expensive and it's very taste specific and familiar.

To save on your groceries the big money items are things like household products.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Has to be cost cutting.

Like someone else said earlier I thought the new bag it tasted weaker. We'd had some Tesco tea bags recently and thought they were weaker at the time. This Gold blend seems a move in that direction.

We have Barry's at work and I'm not a fan but I've got used to it.

• Advertisement

And I think it’s fair to say everyone especially now is more cost aware. Fancy gimmicks at the expense of consumers won’t sell products. People are far more price concerned and a lot will happily sub Lyon’s or Barry’s for a cheaper alternative. It’s a competitive market to be in and brand recognition won’t win like it used to.

Sustainability, quality & affordability are far more important than in your face advertising or pyramids. At least that would be my opinion.

Yes I agree with your analysis to an extent. However I think production now has more of a say over consumption especially in relatively low profit products like tea. You no longer have huge competition in tea production as it is a very mature business, all the small operators have been bought up or gone out of business, therefore Liptons are confident that nobody is going to set up a brand new production facility. Also more than likely they also produce the tea for Lidl and Aldi , therefore there is only so much cheaper that Lidl or Aldi could sell their brands for anyway because probably only Twinnings or Tetleys are the only alternative producers. They are not going to undercut their main brands too much if they also producing supermarket brands. In any case I have noticed that the prices of the alternatives have risen alot in the last few years by around 50%

I'm gonna have to disagree with the idea that fancy gimmicks don't sell products, just look at any wearable device or the entire Apple product range 😁

I think it's more than people see teabags as a commodity item, gimmicks like the pyramid bags aren't going to sell more so why bother?

It's a constrained market anyway, Lyon's doesn't exist outside Ireland and is famously the "Dublin" tea and Barry's is the "everywhere else" tea

Or so I'm informed by people who drink Barry's and aren't from Dublin, good reliable sources 😂

Anyway, my point is that it's unlikely that the French or Germans or Chinese are going to suddenly start drinking cups of Lyon's tea, so there's no opportunity to grow the market

I think if there's money in tea, it's in the herbal teas. I believe Unilever even kept that section if their tea business when they sold off the rest since it was more profitable

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Scipri0

Every time there's a "new" change on a product, it most likely means they're cutting down else where, that's how many items you get in a box, or the quality, it's mostly done to increase profits at the expense of the product.

I see they’ve posted on Facebook for the first time since April 2021 to announce the change.

Backs up the assertion made above that Unilever didn't care about these brands, not updating their social media.

They probably felt the market was saturated with no room for growth

It isn't like there was suddenly going to be a fad in China for breakfast tea and sales will go up by 10,000%

We're the weirdos in the world drinking blended black tea with milk, pretty sure it's just here and the UK where that's popular

I remember years ago I got a glass (yes, a glass) of tea in Germany. I asked for milk in the tea and the poor cashier in the cafe was looking at me like I'd grown another head and it was speaking to her in Sanskrit

That was one of my first indicators that there may be some cultural differences around drinking tea 😂

• Not at all exclusive to us! Sure you’ve surely seen Bubble Tea? That is generally brown sugar milk tea.

Now look it’s not a Barry’s tea bag, but it’s black tea with milk and sugar for all intents and purposes!

Tea in and of itself is pretty diverse though so it’s hardly a shock there’s so many different ways to drink it!

We're the weirdos in the world drinking blended black tea with milk, pretty sure it's just here and the UK where that's popular

Tea popular in the Arab world ,Asia, Pakistan and India along with Australia.

I was in Germany last year and found a bag of Pakistani tea in the hotel kitchen. Had a cup of it, absolutely delicious . Maybe drinking milky tea is an irish thing but we are definitely not weirdos in our attachment to tea. It always was and will be an important traded commodity. Like all commodities it's price is rising fast and you will notice that especially with the supermarket brands, up 50% in last few years

Yeah I meant we're outliers drinking tea with milk, at least in the way we prepare it

I remember living with an Indian couple who would make tea by heating milk to just below boiling and then adding loose tea and a tiny amount of water

It basically made some super strength latte tea thingy (is that a chai latte 🤔?)

So it's tea with milk, but that's where the similarities to the way we make tea end

I guess the key thing there is you can present bubble tea as a high end product, and thus grow the market and make more money

I don't really see CVC capital or anyone else pulling off the same trick with Lyon's or anything similar

They do market English tea internationally and there's probably space for it to grow, but I think it's unlikely they'll be doing it under the Lyon's or Lipton brands

They'll likely spin out a new brand with much nicer packaging, and pyramid teabags. Oh, and at triple the price 😕

So Lyon's has probably hit it's market peak and if they want to make it more profitable the only avenue is to cut costs

• Advertisement

Tea consumption is growing in the USA steadily every year, in a traditionally coffee drinking society.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,510 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

yeah in similar space - I worked with a Spanish lad who put hot milk onto his teabag.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I'm starting to notice a difference now, might see if I can find an older box to compare them.

• Branding change at least seems to be putting people off or perhaps confusing them.

Did notice a few people during the week who were picking up the new boxes and putting them back in favour of grabbing something else.

Saw someone today who may have just thought it was Barry’s initially but it was hardly recognisable to me at first as well!

Havent tried it yet as I’ve enough teabags in the house at the min (pyramids). Interesting to see how it changed if at all to me. Thinking I’ll definitely go with the gold blend as some report that to be sort of weak so I imagine original to be pretty bad.

Advertisement