Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"I started a joke, that started the whole world ......" | Ireland v New Zealand.

Comments

I think they were used as warm ups to get the first team up to speed.

No just bad timing, use of his body. Use of your blockers. It's a skill timing when to go and spotting the gap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Scotland one of the few (the only?) major nation to still not have beaten NZ. There, that’s my Kiwi arrogance shining through 😛

The vast majority of us are happy there’s another major rivalry now. Especially given how Australia have fallen away.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Green Peter

I wonder if any consideration was given to taking Sexton off in the last 10 minutes and bringing on Crowley, I thought he was out on his feet and struggling, I know it would have meant ending his career prematurely but is it an elephant in the room. Did it compromise management.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

It's definitely not an elephant in the room 😂

Pretty much the only thing discussed in the last 20 pages

There is an argument that Crowley's running threat and injection of energy could have added something, but Sexton was still getting the team into good positions until the very end of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Green Peter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,685 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

If you look at the final phase there is a point were he is standing still in the middle giving off 'out on his feet' vibes, but at the very end before the turnover he is running around the ruck trying to get the ball and keep it moving.

He was tired no doubt, but I think you want experience on the field all day long given the situation we were in.

It's notable that it was callow youth in the shape of McCarthy that failed to emphatically clear Whitelock out of the final ruck.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

We got from inside our own 22 to inside their 22 from his organisation, at a time when we needed to score a try. The all blanks never laid a hand on him either.

We literally could not have had a better rugby player on the planet in that position in that situation at that time.

Another one to turn the knife after an unprecedented journey for this Irish team. 🙄 Tiresome really.

We have won everything there is to win at rugby at provincial and country level several times, except this competition.

We haven't yet gotten the easy route to a semi final or final some teams get. We have met worthy winners early in knockout games in games that would be worthy of any final.

That's the luck of the draw.

I'm certainly not going to turn a knife in the back of otherwise high achievers. Some people would be well advised to try and keep their dignity and sense of perspective in defeat. They won't of course.

Post edited by FrancieBrady on

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I think Johnny Holland summed it up fairly well yesterday when asked about introducing Crowley. He knows Crowley well and has coached him at Cork Con. He definitively said no, the management were not going to remove Sexton nor would he have done so if he had been the coach. Anything said since is just people suggesting something could have been different to potentially change the final outcome.

The fact of the matter is that whether Sexton was shattered or not, he still directed play for 37 phases and took us 40-50m downfield in those closing minutes. That was the single longest passage of ball in play time in this entire RWC to date so tiredness was significantly exacerbated by it and during it for every player on the field.

Crowley could have contributed, I'm sure but I doubt there's a coach in the RWC that was making that specific change. Perhaps you bring him on at 12 or 15 but I don't really see that happening either given Aki and Keenan are key guys too.

No your grandmother would be targeted and I'm sure she's a great woman but would find it difficult tackling big men in their prime.

You have one line throughout your posts 'Rassie says we're softies'. Rassie says a lot of things, they aren't all true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Seems that people are allowed to list out all the mistakes made and all the examples of underperformance.

They just aren't allowed to say that Ireland underperformed.

They are allowed to list out all of the things that were in Irelands favour pregame.

But they aren't allowed to say Ireland were favourites.

Strange.

Who is not allowing this?

There are detailed discussions here about what happened in the game from all sorts of vantage points.

Ireland were slight favourites with the bookies, who create odds to try and tempt people to give them money. That's all odds are.

Many people, myself included were of the opinion that it was a 50/50 match and it was. It came down to an arm under the ball basically as the difference between the two.

You are the one who tried to pass off NZ not winning a world Cup since 2015 as a big negative, if anybody hadnt already guessed your intentions I'm sure they have now.

Wrong and a complete misrepresentation again.

I said that NZ not winning since 2015 AND losing things they had never lost before , home Series and losing for the first time to different teams was evidence that a negative reaction to the team did not have much effect on that teams performance AND that it was more likely to be down to bringing people like Joe Schimdt in.

Now get lost with your pathetic conspiracy theories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭Greengrass53

On the money, honey.

The semi final will be interesting, South Africa haven't won the world Cup this decade, they will be well up for ending that drought.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

"I'm sure she's a great woman but would find it difficult tackling big men in their prime."

Keep digging them holes buckety. Poor you, not allowed to express yourself by misrepresenting what was said. 😁

Post edited by FrancieBrady on

Nah you've just latched on to softies as a stick to beat Ireland with. Softies don't win 6 Nations Titles, series in New Zealand, and when not playing their best game come within 4 points of New Zealand. They don't come back from 13 nil to make a great game of it.

Right, you probably support Cobh Ramblers, Cork City, Cork footballers or hurlers. None of them are consistently winning. Nail your colours to the mast? What team are you supporting, involved with that can afford to call Ireland softies.

Are you particularly hard yourself? Boxer, MMA fighter with titles? I gave a look at your profile and you're a tiler. Nothing wrong with that good job. But you don't seem in any way qualified to label achievers softies.

It sounded more rugby related when I typed it 🤣

• Advertisement

'Here's my evidence - the words of the biggest WUM in world rugby'.

😁😁

Exactly, re. Erasmus.

Yer man calls Leinster ladyboys even though they've won 4 ERC titles since 2009 and been to several finals. Nothing funnier than a 'hard man' (with a men's rugby international standard granny) on a keyboard. Brings a whole new meaning to 'Granny Rules'😂

Rassie is a WUM.

To take onboard the words of a WUM to bolster your case renders your case nonsense.

The perception of us outside Ireland is that we are all rich and beautiful people with not a bitter bone in our bodies.

See, ^^ anyone can make stuff up. Proving or backing it up is another thing though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Mod: Repeatedly ignoring mod instruction to attack the post, not the poster.

Two week rugby forum ban.

You said

That is the perception of Irish rugby outside of Ireland it seems.

You were asked to back that up.

You don't 'fear' soft teams.

Would you say this journalist from New Zealand thinks we are 'soft'?

"For Stuff.co.nz, Richard Knowler writes that Ireland's victory was even better than that of 2018.

Three years ago, when the Irish beat the All Blacks for the first time on home soil, they also delivered heavy blows to the tourists' psyche by tackling themselves to a standstill and completely shutting down the slightest glimmer of light whenever it shone through the links in their defensive chain," he says.

"This performance was better than their effort in 2018; the Irish wanted to attack, attack, attack by shifting the ball at speed from set phases, delivering quick passes in contact and it was no wonder that with 15 minutes still remaining that the All Blacks had already made more than 210 tackles."

Don't use the words of a WUM, who says much the same thing about most oppositions, for a reason, he is trying to wind them. Didn't work on these 'soft boys', we beat his team anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Sexton looks fine to me here, directing play and shape, hitting rucks and he looks no more tired than anyone else but interested what others think.

Advertisement