Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PK@rte.ie (again). The All New (Patrick Kielty) Late Late Show Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

They're the same guests as last year it could be better with the new more capable host

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭Radio5

I'd expect a retiring Irish rugby player or 2 to be making an appearance in the coming weeks.

Brendan O'Carroll got huge profile from being on LLS in Gay Byrne's time. He seemed to be on every few months.

Tommy Tiernan was on also quite often, once it became clear he could cause controversy or offence.

These aren't the Journal. Comments on local newspaper sites, some from people I know, saying PK isn't that great.

Boards can be a bit of an echo chamber at times too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I predict Dawn French next week. She's really pushing her book. She's already told the exact same stories on GN and BO'C in the last couple of days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Missed this on Friday night, interesting to see that both Jason Byrne and Brendan O'Carroll were on....I must watch it back on RTE player*

*If I ever have a lobotomy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Review of TLLS 13.10.23

Guests: Stilled and stifled and lacking star power

Music & Comedy: One Singer she seemed grand, but no comic

Host: Opening Monologue missing, final touching monologue. Overall holding the show together on a shoe string and a prayer.

Studio Audience: They are much livelier and they seem happy, I think the hosts helps with this part.

PK2 needs a set of comic writers, he opened by a straight introduction to the show. No time for a bit of his own batter or a few scripted jokes. His first 2 guest weren't as bad as suggested, but Brendan O'Carroll's lived experiences should have allowed for an interview of his own, and then bring on the 2 other guests. I have forgotten the name of the person who wrote the book.. Ros Pursell... nice looking girl and seem to enjoy the interview but really she is a z-list Irish celeb, the book looks good.

Sports people to talk about the match, at least PK2 has an interest in sport and is able for the conversation. It wasn't too long before the 3rd part of the show...

And then we are into the ad breaks, audience participation and product placement! They really need to break this up a little better it seems just dumped at this point in the show.

The final guest is just someone I'd never watch and find to be as he describe himself, I just have very little interesting in sports so no sports stars are going to keep me watching. Again PK2 at least has that interest allowing for the guest to talk. A bit of a heckle about RTÉ ... but how much are these pundits getting something all these people complaining or heckling RTÉ seem to avoid talking about. We've seen that Ciaran Malooly took his Involuntary Redundancy and is now on the RTÉ rampage.... I digress.

And the final monologue .... It was grand but why not put the credits over this ... or as had been pointed out over the week here prior to the show ... if you are deciding to talkabout this subject matter why not have a debate on the show about the conflict?

Overall as other posters have pointed out the show needs at least one major star, a conversationalist (Brendan O'Carroll forced on the Byrne wasn't good), another comedy act to play out the show (though not this week due to the monologue given). The host needs an opening monologue and the ability to introduce a new or current comic act at the end, or even a musical act to play out the show.

Improvements even without the star power could massively help the show out.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

The Late Late Show remains the most watched programme on Friday nights as it was watched by an average audience of 455,000 on RTÉ One and RTÉ One+1 - with 39% of the available audience watching on RTÉ One. On RTÉ Player, this programme has generated 34,000 streams to date.

PK2 I think is safe at the moment. He could have revived the show, going by these numbers. It will be interesting to see if there are any major changes over the next few weeks.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

• Registered Users Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭squonk

What was the story with Donie o’Sullivan? Had they booked him, flown him over and then dried him at the last minute? Why if true?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭JeffreyEpspeen

Ryan Tubridy is a creep.

The story goes that Exe Prod wanted Donie organized his family to come up, PK2 wasn't happy with this item and replace with the 2 Johnnies. Exe Prod was heavily involved in The Toy Show the Musical, so she really hasn't got a clue.

TBH neither are great guests.

TBH as I have said before if Donnie was on Fox News, and had the most successful late night chat show in the US, Irish media wouldn't even send for a bus for him to get to Croke park from Clontarf.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yawn.. the shine has worn off and much the same old stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭squonk

I think Donie’s attraction is he’s tge local boy done good by being in CNN or whoever he works with. I’m with the ex producer here though. He’d be better than the two yobbos. I can see PK wanting to keep the shows upbeat but I’d have actually watched Donie.

This is just pointing out another obvious things though. I started The Continental last night. Great she but it also has Katie McGrath, an Irish actor also “done good” in the states. We have lots more. Paul Ames all, Caitriona Balfe, Orla Brady, Barry Keighan and I could go on. So why do we need to resort to such absolute dross as Vogue, the two yobbos etc. I can see them having trouble rocking up to Ryan Reynolds’ agent and looking for an interview etc but it should be Walker to get our homegrown talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,980 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I agree - they'd gone so far down the line with Donie they should have brought him on, for variety from the usual RTE heads if nothing else. He couldn't be any poorer a guest than some we have seen.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

But Donie has been on TLLS as the local boy done good already. As I say they would not be rolling out the red carpet had he'd been on FOX and making a success there.

I agree with you on other Irish talent, always been the case at RTÉ, interesting to know if they try to book anyone like who you mention.

I suppose I have to also mention that much like Donie, The 2 Johnny's had been on TLLS only a few month previously.

I do feel that the whole idea of the "star" has fallen, there is so much content that it is hard to see who is a "star" as in particular the main brands are so focused with their "Branding" across everything they do.

______

Yesterday

Re: Branding, yeah I get the impression many of the show slots are being used merely to promote some other RTE show rather than because the guest is interesting in their own right. And that's taking into account higher profile international guests would be using it to promote book \ film etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭robwen

Jean Claude Van Damme is a guest tomorrow night

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭batistuta9

It was the new head of entertainment that vetoed Donnie according to the papers. This after him supposedly agreeing to it, flights booked and all.

His involvement in everything is why that producer left, but I doubt she'll be much loss. Crew not wanting their names on credits. Why he's getting so involved in the show is another matter, I agree with her there

• Registered Users Posts: 30,542 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

This week.

Jean-Claude Van Damme

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭corkie

What is this whiskey and where can I get it in time for the show?

There is a drinking game in there somewhere.

@odyssey06

The Belgian-born movie star (63) has launched Old Oak Irish whiskey with Derry man Kevin Carson and a number of other investors.

The new sourced whiskey was officially launched in Belfast on Wednesday.

Old Oak Whiskey has initially launched three-year-old and five-year-old blend priced at £34.95 and £39.95.

For more see oldoakirishwhiskey.com~~ Link

I predict the audience will turn into an angry mob if they dont get to taste any of this while it is being shilled in front of them.

€40,95 for the 3 year age bottle. Product placement? Will there one for everyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭JeffreyEpspeen

• Registered Users Posts: 14,978 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I always thought getting a drop of the craythur was more likely to lead to unrest than not getting it 🙂

It is an inverted bell curve ... in the middle is the sweetspot. Whats the equivalent of 'hangry' for booze...

• Registered Users Posts: 15 HarryMolloy

A past it, played out has been....and the same goes for Van Damme!

Kielty the poor fecker is trying his best but it's all a bit cringe isn't it? He's pictured punching a punch bag in anticipation of van Damme.

Ireland just can't do showbiz. It just looks cheap and tacky compared to our neighbours.

They're far better off going a different direction with the late late, something that's unique to Ireland and becomes an icon of Irish tv. If you think of the tonight show with Vincent Browne...there's many political panel shows but Brownes was unique to Ireland. They should make the late late show be viewed in that light, that others from abroad wouldn't really understand. How that looks for the late late show? I don't know, I'd like to see more iconic moments like when Billy Aslan and Linda Martin squared up or when Gerry Hannan and Frank McCourt were debating.

Stop trying to be "big time", it doesn't suit us Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,978 ✭✭✭✭elperello

In fairness to the LLS it was always the show first and then the drink.

(except for a few unfortunate green room incidents over the years)

Just like weddings, christenings and funerals.

Traditionally Irish 🙂

Advertisement