Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cult of Stephen Kenny

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,242 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Shocking really.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,510 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

28 competitive goals conceded is a standout stat : Irish teams were never this leaky under Trap, MON and Mick.

It's a definite indicator the team was underperforming and was not even well set up defensively.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Most of the Greece squad play in the Greek and Turkish leagues, 2 very poor leagues. The team against us:

Nottingham Forest sub keeper - No games this season

Aek Athens right back

West Ham sub - 1 game this season

Olympiacos centre back

Liverpool sub - 1 game this season

Trabzonspor midfielder - 3 games this season

AEK Athens midfielder

Olympiacos winger

Atlanta Utd striker

Istanbul attacker

Our team isn't great by any means but we're far better than the above. We can afford to leave premier league players on the bench, we have a champions League player and we have one of the hottest prospects in world football up front. Greece competed strongly in the group and gave it a good go. We came nowhere near qualification with the Kenny apologists writing off our chances before a ball was even kicked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

It's not quite that simple. Watch how the Greeks played, they were very positive with their first pass when they attacked, they were very comfortable taking the ball under pressure, shielding it and finding a team mate with a pass. When people talk how good players are technically, these lads surprised me with how good they are technically. Some of our lads just can't do that which doesn't surprise me playing in the Championship or lower half of the Premier League.

One incident doesn't sum anything up but as a symptom, look at the touch Knight (I think) took when he could have been in on goal.

That's not excusing the manager by the way. A lot of our problems come from his set up. A good man, a good manager but out of his depth at this level.

If they're so good, why are they not playing at a higher level? How come our players are?

It has been a common occurrence during the Kenny reign, we make other teams look good. When your team has been set up by someone who is tactically inept and unable to set up his team correctly, you make the players perform badly and not to their ability.

He's also turned us into an easy team to play against. A bit of pressure on the Greek players and they'd have less chance to show their technical ability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,242 ✭✭✭Gusser09

They aren't good enough to play in better leagues. We were told that about Luxembourg too. That they were making great strides and were extremely technical.

Yet our players playing at levels far higher than luxembourg couldn't beat them or break them down and outplayed by them. Incredible really. It's a real excuse when we are outplayed that Kenny fanboys throw out,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

I'm sorry that's just English football centric nonsense. The Greek and Turkish leagues aren't that bad (a hell of a lot better than ours) and have teams who often qualify for the Champions League and Europa League.

While they may not be EPL standard they are more than certainly playing at a level at the very least comparable to most Irish players who play in the Championship and L1.

If we were geographically situated close to Greece and Turkey most of our players would be playing there too.

In no world have we any divine right to think that we are superior to Greece. Irish football supporters have a complex that our standing in the game is somehow ahead of other mid-tier European teams.

This is not a post defending Kenny - more so to dismiss the point that I have read so often over the last month that Ireland really should be beating teams like Greece.

Could be lots of reasons. I'm not saying they are great players but they looked a lot more comfortable on the ball than our lads last week.

Some very good technical players have struggled in England. Veron was a shadow of the player in England that he was elsewhere, Ndombele at Tottenham has unbelievable ability but rarely shown it in England.

I'd agree with that.

For the Greece second goal one of their players took the ball down first time on their chest running at full speed before crossing the ball into the box.

I couldn't help but think none of the Irish players would be able to take the ball down like that.

Your post is defending Kenny. His whole reign has been littered with his supporters talking up opposition while talking down our players. Previous managers were criticised heavily for talking down our players, for some reason it became ok when Kenny took over.

Greece are not much better than Georgia, around the same level yet McCarthy was lambasted for drawing away to Georgia. Where were all the Kennyites talking about disrespecting the league's their players played in or talking up their technical ability?

It's not English football centric to say that the Premier League is superior to the Greek and Turkish leagues. It's just a fact. Before Kenny took over we were competing with top European countries like Denmark and Switzerland. We've sunk so low under Kenny that now anyone who thinks we should compete for qualification or have the cheek to think we should beat Greece have some form of complex.

• Advertisement

No, they looked far better organised and coached. I don't think we can judge our young players fully while a completely inept manager is in charge. Example, Scottish players looked really poor under McLeish, they look far better with Clarke in charge.

It's a fact that the EPL is superior but most of Ireland's players don't play in the EPL and those that do are hardly first team regulars.

We have a team mostly made up of lower league players in England. Realistically we are at a similar level to teams like Greece. What Irish players, with the exception of Ferguson, would make any difference to the Greek team if they were to play for them. None is the answer.

Do you think Greece would fear playing Ireland, irrespective of who our manager is, looking at the players at our disposal.

The way the Irish media went on after we lost in Athens was like it was expected we should win such a game away from home. I'm sure the Greeks would have seen the game as a game they should be winning and would have been disgusted to drop points if they had of done.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭reclose

I think everyone posting agrees that Kenny’s time is up so we can drop the narrative that people are defending him.

Some people think a change of manager is all we need to start being competitive and some people think the current squad hasn’t the technical skills to be competing with the top 2 seeds any more.

Personally, I think struggling to finish third might be the new normal for us until better players come through.

Kenny was too slow to change tactics during games when they weren’t going our way, perhaps he should have changed tactics before games too.

Our players made a lot of individual errors at times too and very few want to get on the ball and make things happen, I’m not sure a new manager can legislate for those things either.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,640 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

It is the manner of the defeats against Greece though, football is a sport where technically poor sides can at least make it very awkward for teams that are not world beaters. Ireland always used to at least try to do that no matter what the level of players were historically, a result against Ireland had to be earned. Occasionally Ireland might even get a jammy a result against a real top side.

But Ireland are miles off that at the moment. First Ireland have to start competing with mid tier international sides again, at least make it awkward for them. That can easily be done by defensive structure and altering a style of play.

And all this this 'philosophy' nonsense should be put to bed, that is an underage/schoolboy coaches job.

A senior international managers job (particularly at a poor/average side) is to build a team mentality and tactics that has the best chance of getting results based on the players available. And not make it easy for an opponent to get a result. That is the basics of it as far as I see.

Cascarino and Townsend both say similar and they were pro footballers, they were never lads with notions beyond where their strengths and weaknesses were.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

We had 5 premier league players starting against Greece the last day and a champions league player. A few others played in the Premier League very recently. We were also missing Coleman and Egan with O'Shea sitting on the bench. That's not mostly lower league players. Most countries would kill to have a squad like ours.

How about the Irish supporters who went after McCarthy when we drew away to Georgia, were you one of them? Or were you talking about how few Irish players would make a difference to the Georgian team?

For sure, they looked better organised. Their patterns of play were better. But so were the basics they had like controlling a pass, taking a positive first touch and taking the ball under pressure. Scotland look better under Clarke but they don't look any better technically.

Kenny is in over his head but I think it's a bit insulting to label him "completely inept". The man is a good manager, just not at this level.

So maybe previous managers were correct when they employed tactics that counteracted a lack of technical ability? That would mean a return to more direct football is the answer. That could be the final insult of the Kenny reign, it was so bad it forced us to hire a long ball manager and forget trying to pass it.

Whatever way you want to put it, Kenny has proven to be way out of his depth at this level.

I wasn't, I wanted McCarthy to stay for the playoffs.

So for the starting line up we had the 5 EPL players:

• Doherty
    • Collins
    • Cullen
    • Ogbene
    • Ferguson

I'd seriously question if three of that five are EPL standard. I don't think any team in the world would fear anyone on that list with the exception of Ferguson.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,640 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Doherty - has pedigree it was not long ago he was one of the most sought after defenders in the EPL. It is up to a manager to play to this strengths and get a tune out of him.

Collins - has earned a move from one EPL club to another

Cullen - seems to be a Vincent Kompany favourite

Ogbene - has been putting in hard working efforts for Luton rattling into it with their direct style it suits him, arguably their most threatening attacker after Morris

(the one Kenny 'success story' in my view, but still not used properly to get the best out of him)

--

Another team would kill to have 5 EPL players.

As for Ferguson - Cascarino has basically said the way Ireland set up under Kenny there is not much hope of making use of Ferguson.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,094 ✭✭✭mada999

Pure lies - Mick had a better squad ffs and at the end he wasnt pulling up any trees...not sure he would have got us past the play off either...

Don't forget when Kenny took over we lost players as well and some of the older players he inherited you know got older, there was a load of covid stuff too.. We have a pretty young squad at the moment... one of the youngest in Europe... I'm not sure another manager would have DRAMATICALLY changed our fortunes in qualifying for tournaments.... anyway that's hypothetical so we will never know.

He's done now any way so hopefully a new manager can come in and continue bedding these players in and hopefully add a few more to the group... the new manager is going to come into a group who have at least been blooded and will have some good players how are improving like Ferguson, Johnstone and Ogbene... however, realistically our center of midfield is very poor... Knight & Cullen imo are not good enough at the moment imo....Knight is young so could improve.

Who would you like to take over (realistically) ?

• Advertisement

All previous managerial terms need to be revaluated using the metrics used for Kenny. McCarthy did a sensational job almost qualifying for the Euros. O Neill qualifying for a major tournament, getting out of the group and running France close puts him up there as close to our greatest ever manager. Trapp would be just behind him given his achievements.

At least you've accepted that we're not a lower league team. Those players play in the Premier League on merit. Who in the World would fear the Greece team who's clubs I listed above? We also have Coleman, Egan, O'Shea so technically, we could line out with 8 premier league players if everyone was fit and also some premier league subs.

We haven't played that many top tier teams under Kenny. The majority of teams we've played would love a squad like ours. Plenty of young players close to a breakthrough also. We just need a competent manager to put it all together.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,184 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Ferguson would, Ogbene would and a few more id say.

the defending for the second goal was really bad, you cant blame kenny for that.

Mick almost qualified us with a midfield consisting of 3 of the most heavily criticised Irish players. Whelan, Hourihane and Hendrick. His team against Georgia for example:

Randolph, Coleman, Duffy, Egan, Doherty, Whelan, McClean, Robinson, Hendrick, Hourihane, James Collins.

Kenny then had the option of including numerous players who made breakthroughs. Bazunu, Collins, O'Shea, Cullen (improved hugely when moving to Anderlecht), Molumby, Knight, Obefami (returned from exile), Ferguson, Idah, Smallbone, the list goes on. Kenny was only missing Whelan and then McGoldrick after a few games. The rest of the players were late twenties and in their prime added to by the whole host of new talent. It was a great opportunity for a new manager after McCarthy and Kenny absolutely blew it spectacularly.

I think Chris Wilder would be decent but I'd like someone from left field. Not sure who'll be scouting for us. There are managers like Sylvinho and Sagnol managing internationally who could be interesting. Anthony Barry might be worth a look or Carsley but not much managerial experience there. Whoever it is needs to bring some positivity back and looks at our squad as having huge potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Kenny was out of his depth, but his stubborn nature is what damned him. His 'I want the team to play a certain way' schtick just doesn't cut it without the players. It's like approaching a punk band and saying you now want them to play jazz. 'But they're a pretty good punk band, Stephen'. 'I don't care. I'm a jazz fan. And they will play jazz even if they're rubbish at it.' This blinkered approach was his undoing.

I remember the 'glory years' of Euro 88 - USA 94. I know in hindsight people judge our football in those days harshly, long ball etc. But I don't remember anyone bar Dunphy complaining when we were beating big teams and qualifying for tournaments. It's a cliche, but football is a results business.

But the next manager will still have to deal with the larger problem of continuing player development failure at the FAI. For generations we outsourced our player development to clubs in England. But times have changed. Look at the Charlton era - squad was full of players from Liverpool, Arsenal, Man United. But the vast majority of players in England at that time were from the Uk or Ireland. There were very few players from outside these islands. As the English clubs broadened their horizons and started recruiting from all over the world, chances for young players from Ireland and the UK shrank. And Brexit has only made it worse.

This doesn't just affect us - Bellingham and Sancho both went to Germany in search of game time. So without proper investment in the underage setup, the FAI will have to hope that another European league suddenly decides to do some scouting over here. And I wouldn't bet on that.

We were already on the slide with Mick in charge.. Barely scrapping one nil wins and draws... only scored about 5 goals in that group..barely got into a play off...

There was no way we would hit the ground running with COVID and those young players....it was deffo a transition imo over the last few years..

In fairness those 3 midfielders you mentioned were very experienced and I feel better than what we have now... hopefully the current crop can push on as they are still young

The main thing we have needed is a good striker... hopefully Ferguson can get us goals and he can only get better and now in the coming months and years, a new manager will have these younger players already bedded in....

McCarthy's reign wasn't great but his record was played 10, won 5, drew 4, lost 1. And Kenny had all the same players bar Whelan. He used all the same players as well. This myth that he was playing young players from the start has been destroyed. Kenny invented that after the Luxembourg defeat. Up to that he was playing McCarthy's team minus retirements. Then it all came about building for 2024, look at how that has gone!

Let's be clear also, any manager in charge would have brought these young players in. Some of our best players in a generation were emerging. They were better options on what was there before. Bazunu got a premier league move, same with Collins, loads of other breakthrough like I've mentioned before. Even McCarthy had brought in Connolly and Parrott. It's been mentioned before, Staunton gave debuts to more players than Kenny, actually had some decent results but no one remembers that, he's remembered as a manager way out of his depth. It will be the same with Kenny.

yes, Kenny had some of the same players as Mick who failed to qualify and scraped into a play off.. were another year older.... Kenny then lost penos...

To say any manager would have brought these players in is hypothetical to say the least....Kenny would have known lot of them from when he was in the under age set up... So another manager maybe would have stuck with the old guard...

Yup..building for 2024 hasnt gone to plan at all... However, it has to be said.. we were always gonna scrap it out with Greece for third... I guess some people will see his tenure as being "out of his depth" and some will look at it as a team in transition.. older players going downhill, being replaced by younger less experienced players and those younger players making mistakes and not being consistent yet... Some of these players coming through have good potential, but they are deffo not the finished article here in Kenny's tenure.

No, Kenny had nearly all of McCarthy's squad who came very close to qualifying for Euro 2020 and who were mostly in their prime, added to that were a whole host of emerging talent and he turned that squad into no hopers coming near the bottom of every Nation's League and qualification group. That's the actual reality and Kenny will be remembered as a disaster of a manager like Stan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,204 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Technically, Ireland are still in the mix. I have no faith that it'll happen but its a fact.

The rest of your post is just hypothetical wondering. There's no statistics to back your ideas up, similarly there's no statistics for me to take your ideas apart. We can go back and forth on what might have happened under different managers but we'll never be able to prove it and we're never going to convince each other otherwise.

So I'll agree to disagree. Kenny has not done a good job and he should have been more flexible but he's far from an incompetent manager. His record speaks for itself. In this role, he's done poorly but don't dismiss everything that went before that got him the job in the first place.

There's a lot more going on behind the scenes in Irish football and Irish football is not developing in the same way as other countries. Those baying for Kenny's blood are all focused on the short-term when Ireland needs a long-term approach.

Two examples that spring to my mind: Morocco, another team with a large diaspora to choose from but who also invested heavily in internal player development and that is now coming to fruition. Finland: I have a friend who coached the youth teams at HJK and VPS and it was a very detailed approach that was co-ordinated at various levels. Now, nearly ten years after he started, some of these players are breaking into the national set-up and look at Finland's rise.

These things take time. Kenny tried to work on that, work that he started when coaching the youth teams. He didn't achieve is but the backlash is needlessly over-dramatic and simplistic.

• Advertisement

Great post. What Kenny tried to do is laudable, he has his footballing principles and tried to implement them but he just didn't do it very well. I posted on here when he was appointed that I didn't think he'd succeed because it's a very difficult thing to do from the top down. By the time players reach Kenny, if they aren't really capable of adapting to what he wants to do, it's too late. I do think Kenny underestimated the task in front of him on many, many levels but he's a good football man and he gave it a go. He was just out of his depth at that level and gave himself an impossible task with what he tried to do.

I've watched a fair bit of underage football. Some of it makes me despair - shouts of "get rid of it", booting the ball down the line, aimless hoofing. Coaches who deserve credit for volunteering but, in reality, are just parents coaching because no-one else will do it and they don't have the time to get themselves educated. However, at the upper levels in Dublin (which is all I can speak for), clubs like Rovers, Josephs, Kevins, Cherry Orchard, Shels, Home Farm and so on are trying to teach kids how to play football "the right way". However, like you say, it takes time and we're still suffering from underinvestment. These clubs can only do so much - the FAI need to do more.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement