Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭ongarite

No, a very quick check of Energia site will show that they dropped their prices in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭skinny90

See this is whats confusing me, I lived in older premises with Smart Meters but I was on fixed plans...

3/4 years ago ESBN went around installing them, nothing changed however.

Since then I have moved freely to other providers prior to moving to the new biuld

Why would I now be unable to get a regular electricity tariff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭bren2001

On your bill what is your MCC?

You may have activated it without realizing it e.g. signing up for half hour information on the Electric Ireland site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭skinny90

I have no bill. I have just moved in to a brand new house. For the past few weeks iv been trying to sign up to Yuno however its failing to let me complete "due to my meter's data exchange"

I have called ESBN and they confirmed all was fine.

I then tried flogas and signed up successfully last week to their new fixed plan, only to receive a call today saying I was only able to sign up to a smart plan.

As I mentioned I dont want a smart plan, I just want a fixed plan. This was possible in previous places even tho I had a smart meter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

The person living in the house previous to you probably signed up to a smart plan and activated the meter so you can now only sign up to smart plans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

It is more likely that if the house is a new build, then a smart meter was installed during construction. It is unlikely that ESB Networks would use non-smart meters at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Escapees

Agreed. I'd be curious if there's any way other than looking at a past bill to find out if a smart meter is 'activated', e.g. via ESBN perhaps?

Edit: I see now that house is brand new. Seems odd that the smart meter would be activated then. Not sure how it works with new builds and the initial electricity supply - i.e. who pays the electricity bills whilst new houses are still being built etc.

If you have moved into a New Build, who is your electricity with? You have to have a supplier already.....

You have your answer from FloGas.

You have no option. You have an activated Smart Meter. You must be on a Smart Plan. You cannot go back to a standard tariff (there are 24 hour rates with some companies but they are still Smart Plans). You should be able to sign up for Yuno but nobody here can tell you why it isn't working.

I am assuming New Builds are automatically given an activated smart meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭ConorC1

Is there any way you can download your usage data from esb networks and easily view it in excel or otherwise? Unfortunately Flogas don't have a nice portal similar to other providers I was with in the past

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭snor

Just changed from that EI plan this week tk energia SmartDrive. Reduced rate, longer night/car charging rate but also lower standing charge and higher fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭MickH503

Yes. Register at https://myaccount.esbnetworks.ie/ ... it takes a few weeks before it starts actually recording data. Once you log in, click on "My Energy Consumption" and then the yellow "Download HDF" button.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭knipper

Thanks, works out at 100 euro a year cheaper after exit fee for me on 24hr smartplan. Wondering whether to see out my contract EI contract til February while waiting for a better offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

Why are people opposed to having a smart meter? What is the downside?

Just checked bonkers.ie - with electric ireland at .39 rate and according to the website there are no savings to be had for me.

Bog standard house, 4400 units per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

I don't the smart meters are the problem, more the smart plans and the underhand ways some utility companies are getting people on these plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

As Sultan says. Also I think for quite a few people including myself, I've an non active smart meter so still have the option for standard plans. Once you go to a smart plan, your on smart going forward. Until the plans are better all round value, people will be dubious.

Me as an example.

Electric ireland Tariff Home Electric + @ 0.39 unit rate. Where is the downside if I cant get better on bonkers?

I was amazed that by pure fluke I am paying the least possible.

Is that a smart plan?

If it is, and a cheaper non smart plan comes on the market, you won't be able to switch.

I've a non activated smart meter. Was paying 39c a unit with EI.

Switched to the flogas BWG offer at just under 30c a unit.

If I was on a smart plan at the time, I wouldn't have been able to switch.

Well that depends on your definition of smart!

Can I see my usage and guesstimate of what appliances are using electricity. Yes I can on electric ireland website.

Does it appear that I am paying more than I should for some website feature I don’t use...

Perhaps not so smart.

I can't tell from my bill if its smart or not. Is there some statement or code?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭batistuta9

MCC12 or MCC16 will be on bill. But If you can see that data on EI website it's enabled.

You see the main downside now above, someone paying 30c & you wouldn't be able to get that deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭phester28

"You can see your usage of what appliances are using electricity"

This is in the add for switching to smart, as a selling point. But its just Bull **** false advertising.

You can only see what is being drawn by the house not an appliance,. and you can do the same by getting the ESB meter data from the ESB site as previously stated here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

48000 Electric Ireland customers overcharged.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-41251414.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,849 ✭✭✭billyhead

What's the BWG stand for. I can't find the deal on a Google search.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭extrafluff

@mp3ireland2 has posted this in a different thread. Hope it's ok to post it in here - it's very handy. This only works with smart meters.

A guy called Radek Toma is working on this tool which is far better than any switcher site if you've a smart meter. Register with the ESB network site, download the HDF file of your usage and upload to this site

This is far better than any switching site as it accounts for the exact time of use of all your electricity.

Unfortunately I can't share the link but it's very impressive It's based on your own personal date. He is still working on it, it currently doesn't account for electrcity you sell to the grid for example.

https://o n e l v . retool .com/embedded/public/ee29e65c-fc32-492f-8baf-e4a3312a22c0?fbclid=IwAR0BbTHv1AyjcMXG3sEiiInX91ynYYLFZVfWaI0zkJP0Gbgx4bKxwcknq7Y

Hopefully link works for ye if you delete the spaces from the first part of the address.

That sucks! They just installed the meter one day. I don't recall being asked. Maybe a flyer through the day saying it was happening

Electric ireland at .39 the best I can see on bonkers. Anyone know of any "smart" plan lower than that?? Appreciate the comments above.

The deal has expired now.

It is a company that owns spar and londis shops iirc.

You had to be an employee to avail of the deal but anyone could have got the deal online as flogas didn't ask for proof of employment.

It was up on this thread at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,849 ✭✭✭billyhead

Cheers. Would anyone know of the best current deal going for electric customers?

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

“Existing customers who were overcharged by more than €40 have been credited with a certain amount of compensation.” 

Does that mean anyone overcharged by less than €40 will get nothing,

• Registered Users Posts: 42 amecullen

A guy called Radek Toma is working on this tool which is far better than any switcher site if you've a smart meter. Register with the ESB network site, download the HDF file of your usage and upload to this site

That is an amazing tool, i just loaded my data, noticed that the prices are exVAT so actual costs would be 9% higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭extrafluff

Are you sure? Energia Smart Data showing on the tool has the exact same rates as Energia have on their website.

• Advertisement

The meter isn't the issue. You could have opt'd out of it being installed if you wanted.

You activating it is the issue. It wasn't made clear when you clicked "yes" on the tool on the EI website that you would be activating it but unfortunately it means your on smart plans for life. You can never go back.

For the best rate, see the tool mentioned above.

Advertisement