Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein and how do they form a government dilemma

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,977 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

That they have missed their targets year on year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

I think the CB said they expected 27500 this year rather than the target of 29000.

Still similar numbers, but the govt still thinks they will hit 29000 this year and they did so last year.

Next year & 2025 they are targeting 33 or 34 thousand I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

We will know by the end of the year. They wont be far off, even if they do miss.

Then there's the issue raised by the EU that the targets were too low in the first place.

How much longer do they need to get as handle on it? That is what voters will be looking at and considering letting somebody else have a go.

Post edited by FrancieBrady on

• Advertisement

More of SF falling into line, soon you won't be able to distinguish between FF/FG/SF such is their rapid transformation

• Registered Users Posts: 27,959 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

We got a real sense of the dangers of a Sinn Fein government wing the fallout from Clown Paddy’s Twitter meltdown. Bit IT did not like what it saw and walked in minutes from the Web Summit.

Now imagine if Sinn Fein were in government last October 7th and the Palestinian flags went up on Government building as fast as they did on Mary-Lou’s profile while babies were being slaughtered by Hamas and US citizens kidnapped. Our multinationals would be running for the door.

Be very careful what you wish for, Sinn Fein could truly ruin the country.

Paddy praises the Irish government and gets cut down by the multinationals, is another way of looking at it.

I’m shocked at the rhetoric and actions of so many Western leaders & governments, with the exception in particular of Ireland’s government, who for once are doing the right thing. War crimes are war crimes even when committed by allies, and should be called out for what they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭RoTelly

So I agree with Ivan Yeats on this: -

Take Dublin South Central

Real this is 2 or maybe even 3 seats to SF.

PBP are brought in on the 2nd count due to SF.

Neither FG or FF move up in any of the counts, going from 5,078 to 5,788 by count 5 for FG while FF gove from 4782 to 5589. Even the large FF transfer to FG can't help in the final count as the Greens and I4C had already mopped up much of the rest of the transfers.

Think about it in this case if SF had run 3 candidates, most like GP and I4C would not have made it in, with the final seat between PBP, FF and FG or potentially both FF and FG getting a seat.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It would take an outrageously good vote management for SF to get three seats in a four-seater. Most likely PBP and indo get squeezed, but SF won't get all their votes.

• Advertisement

If you want to get rid of dig's for students, this is how you go about it

I don't think Farrell realises the scope this intervention will have. It would also hit the rent-a-room properties

• Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

If such a law was introduced today, all that would happen is this year's students being protected from any evictions, but then next summer hundreds of beds will be taken off the market and never appear again after the owners reckon it's no longer worth it.

Net result is far fewer places of student accommodation are available and the crisis gets worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

It’s a stupid idea. Farrell is a good communicator but her politics is real student union stuff. Simple solutions to complex problems sort. Like Pearse Doherty. They have a real lack of talent in the party. Shouting isn’t leadership.

Yup. The main issue, and reason why the legislation is very different, is these are peoples own homes where they are renting out rooms/doing digs.

I do it myself, have 2 rooms rented out, and the fact that I have solid legal grounds to remove a troublesome lodger is what gave me the piece of mind to go ahead with it.

Its a very different beast to renting out a property that you don't live in

• Registered Users Posts: 16,564 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The townies would want to cop themselves on and stop voting that one back in, she is clueless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Just to point out - Brid Smith will not be contesting the next election - this will significantly benefit SF in the constituency (and Joan Collins if she runs again - which I think she will). The Greens will take a thumping in this constituency. 3 SF could not be ruled out - but it is more likely to be 2 SF, Collins and a seat for FF/FG (beating the third SF candidate).

With 39.3% of the vote, Sinn Fein could conceivably take three seats in a five-seater. A very even split of 12-14% for three candidates could see them take the last three seats, as the first preference needed for a seat is 16.6%. However, that level of voting would never give them three seats in a four-seater, where each candidate would have to reach 20%. You need to be hitting 48-52% of the vote to be taking three seats in a four seater.

The danger with running three candidates in a four seater with say, 40% of the vote, is that they split badly. 22% for one candidate and 9% each for the other two, could see them fall short of taking a second seat if transfers don't work out. That is an increased risk where one of the candidates - in this case O'Snodaigh - has a large personal vote. My guess is that SF will run two candidates here, manage the vote well and take two seats. It will be at the expense of Brid Smith not running.

Collins, FF and FG will look for the other two seats, Collins will depend on sweeping up any surplus SF (less likely than last time) plus Smith residue, not a certainty. Greens unlikely to figure, but their first preference last time out was higher than Collins.

This guy is currently giving it 2 SF, 1 FF and 1 PBP. At this point in time, with the polls where they are, hard to argue with that.

On O'Snodaigh more generally, great to see he is doing his bit to help with the housing crisis:

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/sinn-fein-td-aengus-o-snodaigh-objects-to-plans-for-development-of-208-homes-in-his-constituency/a90341705.html

A housing crisis is not a charter for bad planning or greed.

Seem to be reasonable cause for objection there.

Rather than rely on the words of politicians as some clearly do, I had a look at the development that O'Snodaigh is objecting to.

It is clearly an appropriate high-density use of a site within 5km of the city centre. A clear sense of NIMBYism to the objections.

• Advertisement

Just a general comment on why objections might be made.

If the objection is thrown out then that is the end of it.

A housing crisis is no excuse to circumvent the process. God knows we have enough costly bills because regs and process has been ignored. And greed would have been one of the reasons why.

What process has been circumvented?

He is quite clear about why he is objecting - because it will annoy current residents. There is no suggestion there is anything improper. And a TDs objection will carry outsize weight, particularly to a council rather then ABP.

But it just shows a deep unseriousness about their housing goals.

If the objection is legitimate and upheld then the somebody had tried to circumvent.

Do you think a developer or individual should be allowed build where ever they like?

A building being rejected does not necessarily mean anyone tried to circumvent anything. One frequent complaint is that buildings which conform to all official requirements and standards nonetheless get rejected.

This is just feeding into the evil developers trope.

His rejection essentially boils down to rejecting any mid density development near existing housing. In which case the housing issue would be impossible to solve.

Well the objection will have to be heard before you can say that.

Nobody is making out developers are 'evil' either. But there is a history of bad planning and bad developments in this country that our planning laws should have prevented if properly implemented.

You are engaging in tropes yourself - that everyone who objects is doing so for dubious reasons.

Do you think a developer or individual should be allowed build where ever they like, just because we have a housing crisis?

Can a development destroy or impinge on your quality of life?

It is one of the most deeply cynical objections to housing that I have seen to date. There is nothing unusual about the height of the buildings. It is a brownfield development, making it more sustainable than most, only 5k from the city centre. I mean, where do O'Snodaigh and the rest of the Shinners think their new housing will be built? Monaghan?

We could get into a back and forth here pointing out that all party reps object to housing at times in their locality. That would be pointless (a back and forth) because it is clearly provable.

I have no doubt that some of those objections are cynical nimbyism and this one may very well be but some are genuine too. The proclamations of serial anti-SFers on this planning objection should be treated with the suspicion they deserve TBH 😁

It's also provable that developments have in the past been disastrous and costly because they were not properly scrutinised and many shouldn't have been allowed at all.

What is the solution?

Prevent objection?

Throw out planning law altogether?

Or invest in speeding up the processes so that good development (which this may very well be) can progress?

We could get into a back and forth here pointing out that all party reps object to housing at times in their locality. That would be pointless (a back and forth) because it is clearly provable.

Yes, it is true "pox on all their houses" stuff. Though the levels of hypocrisy on the matter are a bit more variable.

I would argue most of the issues with development was not at the planning phase, it was at the enforcement phase. I certainly won't argue developers try and cut corners at times.

Also an objection based on "shadowing" on a mid-rise development on a brown site means they won't want mid-rise (aka only solution to our housing issue) built anywhere. It is not a remotely sustainable position. There is no point in them having such ambitious housing targets if, by their own standards, there is nowhere to build them.

• Advertisement

The levels of hypocrisy are more than variable. There is a direct link between the number of objections by a party and the amount of complaining they do about the lack of housing.

Advertisement