Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 T1961D

Just had an ohme home pro installed and installer doesn't appear to have put in an isolation switch ?

Is this 100% required ?

I thought it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭allinthehead

Yes, 100%. Makes it handy for scummers to rip it off your wall.

☀️

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Even without the isolation switch they could still be easily robbed with a small set of screw drivers.

The cables are all insulated so easy to disconnect from the unit once you’re careful of course ⚡️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Yes. An isolator absolutely is required (although not required anywhere else in the world that I'm aware of).

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭pron

I seem to recall reading it's not required if it's within 2m (without intervening doors/walls etc) of the fuse-board connection - so if it was connected via the meter box and a sub-panel, and that's under 2m from the charger unit - it should be good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

That’s incorrect

a tripswitch should not be used as an isolator.there should be an isolator fitted

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Summer2020

Anyone know where to get a Grey/black isolator switch? Getting a replacement charger fitted under warranty and want to replace the yellow and red switch currently there. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭ongarite

I got a grey/black isolator in CWE in Coolmine, Blanchardstown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭GusGus

I know this has been asked loads but have went back over so many pages . I know very little about chargers .

have ordered a 530e -

what charger would be best ?

what is likely charge after grant ?

many suggestions for a company in or near Galway ?

any advice or help is greatly appreciated

Zappi from ecoplex is about €799 after grant. The above 2 appear to be the best value at the moment.

A granny cable is usually perfectly fine for a plugin hybrid.

It’s a bit of a nightmare though. Constantly plugging it in, covering it from the elements (even though they are IP). Then they are normally not as long as a dedicated charger.

Then the time difference.

Trust me I know, I used a granny on a 530e exclusively for 18 months. And that was the 9 kWh version, the op is the newer substantially bigger battery version.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Trek1

We're in the middle of our installation (Kildare). We naively thought it would cost about €1200/€1400 before the grant so net of around €600/€800 and budgeted of this in the car change project. How silly were we! Our property is a little old. We have learned very rapidly over the last few weeks that any property built prior to the 90's where the electrics have not been upgraded is likely to have some or all of the following issues.

Existing earthing of any copper pipes being up to standard?

Do you need an earth rod installed?

Are the "Tails" (which I think is the cable connecting the meter to the fuse board) up to standard?

Quality of the fuse board itself?

ESB Networks may need to certify and commission the install (additional cost of €180 and maybe a few weeks delay depending on your area).

We got estimates of between €2900 - €4000 before the grant for the above upgrades and install of a Zappi tethered unit.

Apart from the above you need to also consider as your choices might also add to the cost: 

Distance from Fuse B to charge unit (greater than 5m might cost more)

Is a priority cable needed? ie might you be running an electric shower at same time as charging your EV?

Do you want a tethered cable or an untethered one?

Do you have or plan for, solar panels?

Its a downer having stretched, as you do, our budget for the car itself before finding any of this out so if your house is older get it surveyed by a qualified installer before kicking any tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭mickredirl

Hi Guys,

Need some advise... Looking to install a Zappi charger, but want to connect it to the main electrical junction were the smart meter is. My question is. Is this possible to do as I do not want it installed by connecting it to fuse board inside the house?. Was on to one EV installer and they will not install it to the main junction where the electric meter is, as they say the ESB don't allow it?? Is that true??

Its handy for me to have it installed were esb meter is.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,518 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I hope you got a few quotes. Our house was built in 84. And we didn’t have yk any thing extra although 2 or 3 installers said we did.

Technically it’s possible under IS10101.

But, it is a last resort process. Your RECI must explore all options to connect to the consumer unit beforehand. It’s not a “get out of jail” card because it looks handier.

It will be more expensive.l and 99% of the time it cannot be justified so the RECI should not proceed with this route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Its completely stupid though, if manufacturers believed they where necessary they would build them in. This is overreach by Irish standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Something to be aware of if you are getting smart chargers - will they work as dumb chargers if company goes bust. Smartzone which sells Autel chargers has gone into receivership on the 18th of October and some users on the Tesla Facebook site are seeing their chargers now not working. This is even more ridiculous when you realise Smartzone was just the installer not the manufacturer so is there a setting being applied that uses an intermediaries website instead of just Autels? So far the manufacture Autel has not helped and is pointing users back to Smartzone which is just stupid and no one will be buying Autel going forwards.

• Advertisement

It’s the same for all high draw appliances. Heat pumps etc. manufacturers can’t build them in as they are an external safety requirement.

You see the same or similar with switches in kitchens for any appliances that their sockets are hidden or buried. They have to be accessible to kilL power if required.

The isolation switch has saved me a few times when Zappi when into meltdown mode and froze. I had to kill the isolation in order to pull the plug and reset the device. Without the isolation I’d be back into the consumer unit and tripping switches. That’s a nuisance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 JorgeL

Just as a general query, how have anyone that's used Ecoplex found them and how are the wallbox chargers so far? any issues etc? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 23,518 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Yes. The OHME will work as a dumb meter . It’d effectively just be the same as it losing signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ardara

Thanks for this. We are in exactly this position. Our Autel showed a recoverable error light this week and we could no longer charge. Have rebooted and even factory reset (which itself was a struggle) to no avail. Like you say Autel said they couldn't help as I was an end user. My question to them was who guarantees the product, isn't it them? We've only had it a month! Does anyone happen to know if/how it can be reset to be a dumb charger? Isn't this why I made sure it was OCPP compliant?

And how dumb is this situation? Some third party can control our access to our own equipment!? So they can take our money, give us the product, wash their hands of us and also make the product unusable? And the brand doesn't even have to step in?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Had mine(wallbox) installed last week by Ecoplex. Overall happy with the company and entire proess. Too early to say if I like the unit or not but it does the job quite efficiently. When I first plugged it I was only getting 2.1kw, installer picked up my phone and just wound the amps up and boom car was sipping away at 7.4kw.

I did manage to get the lights to turn off when in use/not in use as otherwise they were on all the time.

A note on Ecoplex, as of last week(w.c 16th October) they will no longer install any unit to the Meter box.(I was told by the installer(s))

• Registered Users Posts: 9,999 ✭✭✭dodzy

Folks, what’s the deal with not installing at the meter box? It would be the ideal location for my future install. Is it a ‘regs’ thing?

It’s an absolute last resort option, after all other alternatives have been explored.

It’s more expensive. Handiness is not a valid reason for installing beside the MC.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,999 ✭✭✭dodzy

I was just thinking with the box at the side of a semi D, you could a) avoid an eyesore on the front of the house and b) avoid having a cable draped across the door/driveway causing a potential trip hazard.

• Advertisement

You can still have the charger at the side, out of view. The cable feeding that charger could be fished depending on construction alright.

But if the CU is on the opposite side of the house then you might have a case and the RECI will decide if that’s good enough for them to go the MC route.

Im not a RECi so you won’t get a 100% answer here as the few RECi’s that do post have stated they won’t do it.

Call around a few is the only way. There may be an easy way to get the cable across without it being visible across the front elevation of the property.

Advertisement