Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Noise under cat steering gone strange

• 17-10-2023 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭

Hi all, 09 a4 the steering seemed off for the past few days and this morning a clunky noise came from under the car and the steering felt loose and pulled to the right, any idea what it might be?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

Was It just one clunk or is it still happening when turning or going over bumps etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Time to get your front ball joints checked as they were a common thing to go. If you had a hydraulic jack to raise the corner i bet you have play when grabbing the wheel at 3 and 9 and wiggle in and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Dual wheels

It seems to get worse the faster I go

Would that cause the steering to wobble?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭GavPJ

My money is on wheel balance out, along with a balljoint worn. If it is just that, it won't be mental

money but needs to be sorted ASAP as it will wear your front tyre/tyres fairly quick.

• Advertisement

Thanks roughly what would be the cost of getting them replaced?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭mk7r

The balljoints on the A4 are not replaceable separately and are part of aluminium arms so can definitely add up quick

Any rough idea of the cost?

It depends on what's gone, there are 4 balljoints on each corner all requiring the whole arm to be replaced. If it's the banana arm for example I'd budget about 150 plus fitting per side but best get it properly diagnosed

Thanks a mill

• Advertisement

You said noise gets louder the faster you go =Wheel bearing?

Noise can be heard from 20mph and the higher frequency when going faster and could be collapsing as when car is jacked up too much free play when wheel is grabbed at 6 and 12 and much movement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,244 ✭✭✭User1998

A mechanic needs to inspect the car. It can’t be diagnosed or quoted online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭9935452

Out of curiosity what mileage is up on it.

i had a 2009 a4 with 450k km on it.

It never gave any trouble with balljoints in that time.

2 front wheel bearings replaced around the 420k mark.. just started making noise.

One other question.

Did you get tyres in the last few weeks or puncture fixed or breaks done

Are the wheel studs tight..?

Id be inclined to get the car checked asap tbh

Balljoints are a very common failure on the A4, there was even a recall on them they failed so often

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The main bottom ballpoint that goes into end on straight arm is replaceable separately and in my case on A5 is the only one to wear out.

Just depends on the design, there were multiple revisions but the recall was on the rear banana arms, they would be the most common to fail

One of the many reasons i not buy a German car is the amount of money for repairs every few years , kept us in business for many years with repairs.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,605 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Is it like a meow or a purr?

Advertisement