Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump discussion Thread IX (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I know that’s what always happened. So logically I shouldn’t be so surprised, but Trump is such a cartoonishly bad candidate it shouldn’t be that was this time.

Multiple criminal investigations don’t seem to have damaged his appeal at all.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Who are absolutely not paying much attention to anything he is saying or doing at the moment. That will change.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

He was neck and neck with Biden at this stage 4 years ago, and he was the incumbent. Yet Biden won, by trump's own definition, a landslide

I can’t believe people are so blasé about a treasonous numpty doing so well in the polls. But I hope you’re right.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 40,412 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The only polls that are any way relevant are state specific ones. And even then less than 6 months out from the election

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,627 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Her testimony in the trial of the "behind the scenes" planning and activities are obviously important but its remains to be heard if she includes Trump's presence and involvement at the secret planning meetings in her testimony as well as the those of the lesser players in the illegalities. I'm glad she was not a personal lawyer to Trump and merely a member of his MAGA fanbase. Being disbarred are the least of her worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Trump can most certainly win but a lot of the polls are drivel.

Sample sizes are very small and remember a lot of the polling is from nothing companies and those associated with Trump.

Look, its a bipartisan issue, some of the polling over the years in states where supposedly Collins was going to lose and I think their was ones which suggested Rubio was in trouble in red Florida in 2022?

A better barometer is the midterms and the fact the dems are constantly winning special elections in key states. Obviously their is numerous caveats, Trump's name not on the ballot and not an election year but they are more relevant than some very soft polls more than 12 months before the election.

https://newrepublic.com/post/175387/wsj-poll-showing-trump-biden-evenly-matched-trump-helped-pay

https://thehill.com/opinion/campaign/4213712-democrats-keep-winning-special-elections-in-battleground-states/

I'm assuming that Trump is being trolled by the New York Post and The Inquisitor with their reports that Joe Biden has joined Truth Social, as amusing as the genuineness of the reports might be an attempt to troll Trump & Co would be by Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Trump has already admitted that he made the decision about going ahead with the strategy. So even if he claims they were acting without his consent, the question is why did he not make that clear at the time?

We know he had meetings with her, so why not demand she cease her actions?

As part of her plea deal she had to tell the prosecutor EVERYTHING she knows. If they think she isn't her plea deal gets scrapped. I don't think going to prison for Trump is on her agenda

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,687 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Forbes magazine have disputed Weisselberg' senior's testimony at the NY Fraud trial. NYAG has asked for a review of emails that were subpoenaed but on the basis of the Forbes article, were not passed over to the NYAG in original discovery.

If Weisselberg has perjured himself? I think he will see the inside of a cell for quite a while.

Because that suited the man at the tiller with his hands-on lifestyle. Plausible deniability is not in his playbook, for which justice must be grateful.

I’m talking about the state specific polls. They are the only ones that ever matter. Look at Pa and Mi.

they/them/theirs

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,299 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Them bricks keep falling... Taken from cnn.com and bolded by me.

Kenneth Chesebro, a Donald Trump-aligned attorney who helped craft the 2020 fake elector plot, is pleading guilty in the Georgia election subversion case.

The plea deal is another major victory for Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis, who charged Trump and 18 others in the effort to overturn the 2020 presidential election results. Thursday, former Trump campaign lawyer Sidney Powell also pleaded guilty.

Chesebro is pleading guilty to one felony – conspiracy to commit filing false documents. Fulton County prosecutors are recommending that Chesebro serve 5 years of probation and pay $5,000 in restitution. He agreed to testify at any future trials in the sprawling election subversion case and write an apology letter.

Chesebro helped develop the Trump’s campaign’s plot to put forward unauthorized slates of GOP electors in Georgia and six other states. (In previous court filings, Chesebro’s lawyers have denied that he devised the plan.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭amandstu

Think that is supposed to dent T's legal strategy as those two early trials would have tipped the prosecution's hand for those being tried later.

Now his early warning system has gone on the blink.

The next 2 paragraphs are reported quotes from Trumps lawyer, Steve Sadow, on an ABC news online print report. The use of the "MY" word in Mr Sadow's statement that "once again, I fully expect that truthful testimony would be favourable to my defense strategy" could turn out handy for him.

Trump attorney Steve Sadow said it appears as if Chesebro’s guilty plea “was the result of pressure by Fani Willis and her team and the prosecution’s looming threat of prison time.”

He also reiterated what he said after Powell’s guilty plea, which similarly included a commitment to testify in future trials: “Once again, I fully expect that truthful testimony would be favorable to my defense strategy.”

Link:https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=e88629aa0d12adbeJmltdHM9MTY5Nzg0NjQwMCZpZ3VpZD0xYTRlZWZkZC1mYjU5LTZkZmItMzVkMi1lMDI2ZmY1OTZmMzAmaW5zaWQ9NTE4MA&ptn=3&hsh=3&fclid=1a4eefdd-fb59-6dfb-35d2-e026ff596f30&psq=Are+the+Georgia+Trump+trial+jurors+being+sworn+in+now&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly9hYmNuZXdzLmdvLmNvbS9VUy93aXJlU3RvcnkvanVyeS1zZWxlY3Rpb24tc2V0LWJlZ2luLXRyaWFsLWdlb3JnaWEtZWxlY3Rpb24tY2FzZS0xMDQxNjUyNDY&ntb=1

• Registered Users Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

“I think this plea deal absolutely shows and proves that he was not and never was the architect of any sort of fake elector plan or anything like that,” Grubman told reporters.

then why take the plea deal?????

I am conjecturing now but it might be an attempt at some sort of legal sidestep deal as Chesebro is still facing investigation [and maybe prosecution in federal court] by Special Counsel Smith for his attempt to get 16 Georgia GOP voters to sign faked election return documents for that state. I think part of that investigation had/has Chesebro meeting with Trump to work out how to get the fake returns made up and signed, with input from Rudy, the other Trump advisor on law matters.

Edit... I had a look at the Smith investigation re Chesebro on the internet and noticed a quote by Grubman in a separate follow-up item: Chesebro had been "inaccurately" described as the "architect" of the so-called fake elector plan.

Whelp. This is where the US is right now. This absolute nut job is the “compromise” candidate who was able to unify the party.

Apparently attempted treason is great for the career

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Trump has had a wobbler in court today apparently. Violated his gag order again, ordered to take the stand and then fined $10000. What an absolute first class turd this man really is.

• Advertisement

Is the loss by Jordan of the election to the position of House Speaker [including the 3rd secret ballot] and the election of Johnson a plus or minus to Trump in terms of the GOP honchos in the house? Could it be an indicator at this "early" stage that the tide has changed where loyalty to the party is now seen as more important than loyalty to Trump and horse-trading back in vogue or are things still in flux in the GOP?

The judge's spoken response might have gotten under Trump's skin when he referred to the credibility of the witness [Cohen] making it clear to the court [incl Trump and his lawyer] he had not made a pre-judgement in the case.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Why is Trump using the line that Cohen is a lier in his posts. Yes, Cohen is a lier and that is why he went to jail... But the lies that he told were on behalf of Trump weren't they.

Even in Trumps barely functioning logic centre of his brain, how can he possibly think that is a good defence against Cohens testimony?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Trump doesn't think like that. Cohen is now his "enemy", therefore everything Cohen does is "wrong" no matter that some of those things were done at Trump's bidding.

He has the thought processes of a 9-year-old.

the previous lies were in Trumps favour so that makes them ok in trumps eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I wonder do the likes of KellyAnne Conway or Lindsey Graham etc ever take a moment to reflect on the chaos they helped to create in the US. I don't expect them to ever admit it publicly, but in the quiet moments do they have any pangs of guilt for helping Trump to the power he has? It would appear from the complete break that Ivanka has done with Trump in relation to the campaign that she has at least considered that it is not in her own interests to stay so close (although I doubt very much whether she has cut ties with the business)

I know that many of them appeared to have crossed that line on Jan 6th, before quickly pushing those feelings back down on the basis of personal/party benefit.

According to a Journal.ie report on MSN, two court lawsuits are on in different states to prevent Trump standing in the ballot in the 2024 presidential election using the 14th amendment part where those who swore an oath to the constitution and then "engaged in insurrection" against it cannot hold high office again. The first suit began today in Colorado where an effort is being made to keep Trump off the ballot in that state. Tump failed in a legal move to have the judge hearing that suit recuse herself because she once donated money to a liberal group.

The 2nd suit is set to start on Thursday before the Minnesota state supreme court.

Expectations are that Trump's legal team will go to the USSC to block the suits. A section of the report reads as follows "The nation’s highest court has never ruled on the Civil War-era provision in the 14th amendment that prohibits those who swore an oath to uphold the Constitution and then “engaged in insurrection” against it from holding higher office".

Mention is made in the report that the suits were filed by two liberal groups with significant legal resources.

Ref the chance of no agreement between both parties in the House on funding the US Govt and federal agencies [due to the activities of a certain non governmental person and his allies] in the next vote, would it be to the benefit of the new Speaker to cobble together a deal between both parties in the House and agree on ensuring an agreement on the funding, thus certifying an independent position free from influence by that person currently not in Govt service? This would include the proxies and allies of the non-governmental person. I'm assuming that the new Speaker would like to be in a position of power free of obligations to the current outsider.

I'm looking at the CNBC TV media [Squawk Box] read on how the US economy is doing market-wise and how the Fed seems to be prepared NOT to raise rates at the present because such a move might have no effect either way on the market and the US economy. Is the US market concerned as much as the media seems to be about a failure of congress to agree on funding of the Govt and federal services [incl various social services] or is the media fretting about a lack of agreement gaslighting, giving some advantage to the person not in Govt service and his allies in the House?

I'm looking forward to the next Trump Snr court session to see if he takes the stand and testifies like his sons did. They basically threw the qualified accountants under the bus with their testimonies "we are not qualified trained accountants - we just signed the documents they advised us to".

Donald Snr defence line [when things get tough] "I just signed whatever was put in front of me as I was advised, that all was legal and in order" - with a minor alteration - "it's not my fault that my sons were amongst the advisors I relied on when they put the documents in front of me for signature".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Presumably the accountants will be along at some point to state that they just operated under instructions from Trump?

The accountants are kind of screwed either way. One scenario is they came up with the idea of making false accounting because they like their clients being richer, or they knowingly worked with false numbers that Trump supplied. Both result in them at best not working with numbers again.

Their only get out of jail card is to drive the bus over Trump.

Advertisement