Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Windgap were very unlucky to lose that match. They were up for it and a few poor mistakes cost them in the end. Freshford were backed earlier in the year by some in that they were playing Intermediate grade hurling at a level above any of the other Junior teams but having seen them on a number of ocasions this year and in particular the last 2 matches against Ballyraggett and Windgap they have only scraped through without impressing too much. Their form 6 weeks ago was impressive. On the other side Tullogher didnt get any test really against the Emeralds in the quarter final and Dicksboro last Sunday. They are scoring heavily and in Walter Walsh, Cian O Donoghue, Conor Hennessy and Marty Murphy they have a serious threat. Add to that Danny Glennon, who can be a matchwinner on any given day, and they have the tools to get up Intermediate. Freshford will no doubt have their homework done on these forwards and i think Freshford will up their game and its going to be 50/50 on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Truth be told1974

That's the quickest thing he has done this year, he reduced the Danesfort v Shamrocks match to a farce, only capable of walking around because he is too overweight to keep up to adult hurling's pace and now putting up Facebook posts lamenting how is has been so overlooked in his career. Totally delusional.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Village87

Freshford have not lost a game all year as far as I know, got 2 serious tests in championship and passed them both, that will stand to them Saturday. I expect Freshford, Thomastown to win the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭KK36

He was a very poor ref who reduced games to free taking contests and always made the game about himself. His opinion of himself was always way higher than his performances. He thought he was more important than the hurlers and this in turn led to everyone getting frustrated.

However, he does deserve credit for doing the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

You're correct. Freshford won all their matches and only had one draw, which was against Tullogher. Expect a serious battle whatever the outcome but i wouldn't rule out Tullogher. On the Intermediate i expect Thomastown to finally clear that hurdle. They are playing well together and from their point of view really need to get there. Mooncoin have done remarkably well, having wont the junior just 2 years ago and being on the verge of going up senior. Mooncoin had 5 adult teams competing this year which must be some kind of record. They competed at Intermediate, Junior, Junior C, Junior E and Junior F afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Freshford got gifted a couple of handy goals last Saturday there return from there forwards was not great, Tullogher will not leak goals like Windgap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭kksaints

I see Lisdowney won the intermediate Football Final tonight and congratulations to them but was there any reason as to why this was held over to now compared to the other football competitions which were finished by June?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Neewollah

Dispute between GBC and Black's and Whites I believe at QF stage that delayed the semi which was only played recently after the hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭forchange

In fairness to Flynn he has the right to give out he very poor ref but the standard of ref in kilkenny is probably the worst in the country not one of them capable of getting on main national panel

Burke gets county final again and he hasn’t a clue how to ref listening to commentary last day and they making a joke of his referring

He stood by as a linesman in boro v shamrocks and a lad sitting on a player digging hurl into a players neck clearly visible on tv he at most 3 feet from play and took no action

I would also question his honesty after he ref Thomastown v Glenmore The greatest robbery I have ever seeing in any sport

another ref gets top matches is Evarard

another man not capable of keeping up with play and seems to have a problem with players running in front of him

Patrick o Reilly was ref in last 2 village matches against ballycallan dermod Cody should have got straight red worst tackle I saw in years

The person that summed up boro v shamrocks. For kclr said at least 2 shamrocks players should have being sent off in first half

I don’t know what linesman are there fore

then again some of the linesmen are nearer to 70 than 60

Raymond Byrne doing intermediate again not capable of doing job about 3 stone over weight seems to look after senior selectors clubs I wonder why really looked after village last year

• Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

scandalous personal insults against men doing a job that 99% of yee hurlers on the ditch wouldnt have the balls to do.

Would you ref a game?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭conor05

That was some statement in an interview TJ done this morning

TJ states that the Shamrocks wanted to play a “brand of hurling that The Village haven’t seen before”

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jamesbond2022

Fair play to any man or woman that refs or does the line for games as without them we would have no games

But when you have club players at all levels putting savage work across the year and serious effort to be in peak condition and a ref rocks up clearly not in good condition and over weight and can’t keep up with the play it’s not good enough imo

Club refs should be help to a much higher account fitness wise

I ve no issue with older refs as a lot of the time there fitter than the younger refs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

• Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Theres always a "BUT" right after a bit of praise or the usual 'fair play...' 😏

No one wants to ref due to the criticism/dissent/abuse being experienced by the refs , by teams that use the 'Were training since march for this' excuse ... So they are 'stuck/left' with whos available to ref ....

So why dont these players that have put in 'savage work and effort' turn to refereeing when they hang up the hurley?

Wouldnt that help?

Fit men/women, that have played the game, reffing... Shur what could go wrong then???

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭droppingball

Another four matches in the park over the weekend after all this rain. Pitch will be some mess by Sunday evening. Pity that the Junior and Intermediate aren't both on Sunday, it had been great day the last few years. That and the senior semi finals are great days, crowds love the two matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭conor05

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭tibruit

You need to reel it in a good bit on the refs there fella. You`re way out of order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭KK36

That's hard luck on those chaps but inevitable given the rain we've had.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭davidx40

Windgap got their due rewards against Freshford ...... parish rule doesnt apply to them .......same story with their underage teams being joined with Galmoy with 20 years ......while every other small rural club has to scrape teams together .......Jimmy Walsh ticked some boxes when he was County Chairman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭droppingball

That is tough on the lads in those games but it probably is the right decision as pitch is getting plenty of traffic of late. Looks like senior is standalone game as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

I suppose it's no big suprise to see David herity going in as tipp goalkeeping coach. It was well speculated the last few weeks. I actually said it here a few months ago. I really like him as a pundit and it's a Pity he wasn't brought into the underage set up but he's outspoken and probably didn't suit.Hard to blame a lad going to get experience and get looked after for it.He won't be the last lad to go that's for sure. We definitely need to be doing more to get lads involved especially with underage.

I don't think it's as big of a deal when you see Tony Browne involved with Tipp and eoin kelly with Waterford. Mikey Harte going to louth and Henry going to galway. Alot of counties are going with ex managers in the backround or as selectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 AhBoyDelaney

It’s an absolute disgrace that he has gone to Tipperary. Imagine Darren Gleason coming into KK as goalkeeping coach. This is about money and nothing else. Herity should be ashamed of himself going into Tipperary. The real TIp supporters will be sick at this and rightly so. Liam Cahill then again was in Waterford so he doesn’t understand loyalty. There will soon be high profile player transfers because money will be involved. Good luck to Herity and I hope he never gets a position within KK. Joe Brolly summed it up when he said f**k Micky Harte and F**k Derry.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

There is something wrong when you see lads going to our arch rivals Tipperary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Can't disagree with you. It is all about money, no loyalty whatsoever. The likes of Shefflin and Herrity will say they're not wanted by our County Board but it's really about money. Did either of them offer their services with our underage? Galway have realised their mistake and are attempting to shore it up by bringing E O'Shea in to oversee matters. Is Richie O'Neill disposed of I wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

I don't see how anyone could be mad at Herity. People from other counties are always involved with other counties, whether its club or county, and that's everywhere. That's always been the case. It's nothing new. I don't know why people get up in arms over something that's always been this way. Babs Keating trained Galway the year before Cyril took over, pretty sure they got to the final when babs was coach, and they won the all ireland the following year. Likewise, Len Gaynor in Clare.

Clubs in Tipp are managed by Kilkenny men, past and presently, and I'm pretty sure there's been a lot of Tipp men who managed or coached or were selectors in Kilkenny (including Liam Cahill). Lads have to get experience somewhere. It's nothing new under the sun. In fact, it happens so much you couldn't keep up with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

In 2023, ‘loyalty’ has gone out of the game by-and-large, especially for people wanting to make a name for themselves in Coaching/Management

• Registered Users Posts: 30 AhBoyDelaney

Don’t be fooling yourself. Shefflin and Herity going to opposing counties is wrong and is only for money. Why don’t they get involved in underage in KK and help their own county progress. Oops sorry no money paid in KK for helping out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Ya of course a lot of it is for the money…. F it, why not? Things have changed now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭forchange

Tribut reel it in

you can not contradict anything I said

There willing to take the 60 euro i

if you willing to take the money you should at least be capable of doing the job

most of them doing 5/6 matches a week for 6 months that’s at least 300/ 360 for 6 hours work

why do you think there doing it

they say show respect to refs

it’s time refs showed respect to the game and turn up at least being capable of doing job

Peter Burke reffing the biggest game of the year and the last match he reffed in park they laughing at him on radio

2 comments that I remember

1 he does not need yellow cards

2 he does not need whistle

he lets tackles go that would not look out of place in another sport when I heard that being said I said no wonder hurling is fucked in kilkenny

if you think these lads are doing it for the love of it think again

up the money you get young fit x hurlers like they had to do in England and if they not up to it they stood down

Advertisement