Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Western Rail Corridor / Rail Trail Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Drifter100

Watching and listening to the media today there seems to be a lot of anger from homes and businesses in Midleton and the other towns in East Cork to suffer flooding

They are all singing the same song..... How come there is money and a priority for greenways such as Youghal / Cobh Junction but the flood defence gates and walls are forgotten

Hard to disagree with them. Maybe out priorities are wrong

The current rail line is good for nothing and needs to be fully replaced including ballast and likely some underpinning in places where there's degradation, regardless of a greenway.

For a greenway to be implemented now, rails would need to lifted and a suitable surface laid, that's about all. We're talking about cyclists and walkers so nothing much more is needed. The existing ballast would serve as a foundation and would need little additional works.

Once rail is being implemented, you extend the width of the surface and lay them side by side.

To do side by side now would be a massive waste of time and funding as it would need to be ripped out for the more significant rail works to follow.

Now if someone wants to pay for side by side now, lash ahead, but purely from an economic standpoint there's is no logical reasoning to go that route.

Personally I don't give a toss which option is chosen. Just choose one and get on with it. The current situation is of benefit to nobody

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Westernview

I know the rails would have to be taken out for the new line but I just wondered if they needed to come out for the interim greenway option. I think we agree something should be put in place soon to make use of it, especially as there seems to be room for both so there should be no big conflict and future changes will remain viable.

I don't think the priorities are wrong. I can understand the frustration with the issue not be addressed but greenways contribute to tourism and peoples health and wellbeing. The flooding issues must be tackled but life must go on elsewhere too. Crossmolina has been waiting for years for flood relief measures but cancelling greenways won't speed it up in any way.

Similarly I still hear people complaining about money going to sports and leisure and saying it should go to the health service. They can't see the role of sport in keeping people healthy and reducing the pressure on the health service.

I know the rails would have to be taken out for the new line but I just wondered if they needed to come out for the interim greenway option. I think we agree something should be put in place soon to make use of it, especially as there seems to be room for both so there should be no big conflict and future changes will remain viable.

Honestly scratching my head as to how you would lay a suitable surface over rotting rails and sleepers because thats exactly what you would have to do for a large portion of the line if the greenway is to meet national min standards of 3-4 meters width given the existing widths available. Maybe there's a way to do it but I can't, for the life of me, think of why anyone would do that

It would be akin to laying new tiles in your house on rotten floorboards

There is no need to retain the existing rails/sleepers if a greenway is laid in the interim as its all for the bin anyway.

I only said it as quick way of getting a greenway in place. They can do it either way IMO. I'm sure if you were to lay 300-400m deep of fill along the line over the required width it would suffice for 10 years at the very least. If the sleepers and rails are still present over 40 years after closure they are not going to disappear for some time. So the comparision with rotten floorboards in a house isn't the best analogy.

Otherwise a lot of extra time and cost will be needed upfront lifting the lines wheres that could be done when the major works are carried out later on at rail laying stage when significant contruction plant is mobilised.

Thats possibly an option. I doubt they would go that route, but who knows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

The works required to reinstate rail services will be enormous. The civil engineering works alone to reopen Limerick - Foynes is costing €65m and that's for basic freight only (no passenger) services and for a line which which was in use up to 2000. Most of the closed WRC has been unused since the mid 70s. The works to reopen it would disrupt the greenway no matter where it was possitioned (side or middle) as they'd be so extensive. You'd have to pretty much rebuild the greenway after regardless. Ironically, the presence of the greenway would actually reduce the cost of reinstating rail in the future by providing access and workspace for plant, etc.

Basically, none of these ifs and buts actually matter. The greenway just needs to be built, there are no negative consequences from it, only positive (unless you gain support and relevance by spoofing about reopening the railway but only applies to a few individuals).

Seeing as the AIRR didn't find a case for reopening north of Claremorris (despite supposedly finding a case for reopening everything else), we can take it that there is no case and won't be for a long time. Calling for a full reopening to Sligo is tantamount to saying there should be no reopening for rail and the route should rot. If people were serious about rail for the region, they'd be advocating for a wider assessment of options, outside of using solely the historical alignment.

For example, north of Tubbercurry there is less than 10km as the crow flies to the Sligo - Dublin mainline. This is a shorter distance than following the historical route to Collooney which was built to a low standard originally, is riddled with road crossings and only exists as an overgrown ditch now anyway. I'I'be confident the new build would actually be cheaper, certainly over time when maintenance is considered.

Not sure who you are replying to there. We have been discussing the Tuam-Claremorris section not further on to Sligo. I'm pretty sure Varadkar was only speaking about this section in his reply to Ciaran Cannon as well.

Of course reinstating rail services are costly, especially relative to greenways. It's major public infrastructure after all but that isnt a reason not to do it or invest in the future of the country.

The main thing is that there is a 25-30m wide wayleave between the towns largely intact and that gives you the options. I think that's a fantastic thing and we are fortunate that the route has been preserved. If it was only wide enough to accommodate either the greenway or rail track then I'm sure conflict and suspicion between various groups would soon get very nasty. But thankfully that's not the case so lets get on with doing something.

But again as I keep saying it comes back to what the priorities are. Varadkar hinted that the greenway might be sensible until the rail comes but is that what Eamon Ryan will say? He has indicated a few months ago that he isn't against the idea of the 2 side by side but whether he will let the greenway in first on its own remains to be seen. Until any cabinet friction is ironed out nothing will happen unfortunately.

https://connachttribune.ie/transport-minister-not-ruling-out-two-options-working-side-by-side-at-a-cost/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

this is untrue, most of the WRC was used up until the mid to late 90s.

the works to reinstate the line are no bigger or worse then the works to reinstate any closed line to modern standards, they really aren't a big deal.

to be honest i see no positives from a greenway here, there is nothing worth seeing for tourists, and the people deserve better then the mostly poverty wage jobs that it might bring.

a railway at least benefits people all year round and will bring them to places which will employ them and pay a decent wage.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Advertisement

North of Claremorris has been closed since 1975 so most of the currently unopened WRC has indeed been closed since the mid 70s. It was a low quality build with an extensive number of level crossings. Even 20 years ago, reports were estimating costs for Claremorris to Collooney as double Ennis to Athenry €/km.

Greenways aren't just for tourists, they are a great asset for people living locally. They provide a safe place for all people to get outside and exercise. A greenway could be provided comparitively much quicker and cheaper, it would be of more benefit than waiting another couple of decades for the government to put up several hundred million € to reinstate the rail line.

Given your sneering at "poverty wage jobs" in hospitality, I'm not sure what the decent wage jobs are which the WRC would allow people to access within a reasonable commuting time. Into Galway would be a long journey time from anywhere north of Tuam and the single track line from Athenry doesn't have capacity for direct services anyway.

you said most of the wrc was disused since the 70s, which is not correct.

no point in shifting the goalposts to north of claremorris now when you made a different statement and it was pointed out that you were incorrect on the rest of it south of claremorris.

very few locals are going to go out in the height of winter to use a greenway, it's just not going to happen no matter how much people will like them to do so, they can exercise even more locally or chances are that they will just take up a jymn membership instead as they can exercise out of the cold.

so we would be spending money on a long distance greenway that benefits hardly anyone instead of a railway that can be used by anyone all year round.

if the areas served were areas of outstanding natural beauty i could see the benefit, but the reality is the areas from athenry to sligo along the wrc just don't fit that bill.

better to build greenways in kerry and places that have sceenery to offer and will attract cyclists and walkers who are there to visit that sceenery.

stating that hospitality jobs pay rubbish wages and that people deserve better jobs is not sneering, it's just fact and actually wanting to improve the lives of people.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Consonata

Let's just do both and put an end to this sad stone throwing lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

Creating a direct train link between Galway and Westport would funnel tonnes of tourists through Athenry, Tuam, Claremorris and Castlebar. Obviously all of those towns are already connected to the network, except Tuam, but this would be a new link/route, which could become a major tourist trail.

These new trips would support businesses in the area, creating and supporting jobs. A Greenway would do similar, but let's be honest (I'm from that area), it rains (mists) an awful lot and it's a relatively boring landscape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭noelfirl

Why is it on one hand, a Greenway would elicit no interest and little use, passing through nothingness as it seemingly does, whereas in exactly the same setting, a railway would bring "tonnes of tourists" and give rise to some sort of "major" tourist trail? In the same vein, the greenway would only bring insecure "poverty jobs"* whereas everyone is expected to believe the railway will somehow lead to the genesis of some form of Rhine-Ruhr megapolitan industrial heartland in the West.

There's some serious cognitive dissonance that goes on in relation to this specific piece of infrastructure.

*an incredibly aloof and callous characterisation by the by.

• Advertisement

What I said was "Most of the closed WRC has been unused since the mid 70s". This factually correct. The majority of the WRC north of Athenry (i.e. the closed part I referred to) has been officially closed since the mid 70s. I never mentioned north of Claremorris and I don't have to move any goalposts. Hopefully you are reasonable enough to admit that you are wrong on this.

Greenways aren't just about sceenery. This may come as a shock to you but people walk and cycle outdoors all year round in this country, our winters are mild compared to many other countries. Any field sports clubs with a walkingtrack generally have good numbers of people walking despite it being laps of a pitch and often no sceenery. There is big demand for such facilities and greenways provide huge benefits relative to their small initial and maintenance costs. People join gyms because to use the equipment/weights and/or classes, not exercising out of the cold probably doesn't even register as a reason why most people join gyms.

Your issue with hospitality jobs is extremely odd. Plenty of people earn good money in hospitality, many also earn enough to have a decent life. It may not be for you but it suits plenty of others. It absolutely is sneering to say that a hospitality workers need new jobs to improve their lives, you are clearly looking down on them.

It isn't as simple as "just do both". Reinstating rail services will cost several hundred million € and all assessments have found the payback not to justify the expense. Journey times would be long, capacity limited due to single track and trains would be diesel. Our rail network needs huge investment, why should such investment go to WRC when more populous parts of the country have inadequate rail services? If the motivation is environmental, focus has to be on where demand is.

A greenway on the other hand will cost a couple of percent of the rail cost, can be delivered much faster and are proven to provide real benefits to people in the locality.

trains traversed athenry to claremorris up until the late 90s, these would have been specials and freight so still ultimately trains.

Just to be clear, I mentioned tonnes of tourists but I certainly don't see tourism jobs as poverty jobs. I believe in the long run a railway would provide more tourist income than a Greenway. Although it's just an opinion. It can also support denser sustainable growth in towns, as Ireland generally moves away from one off housing. We've a lot to go there but putting towns on the rail network is important, and would generate economic growth.

No one here has suggested a Rhine-Ruhr megapolitan industrial heartland. I might suggest your own view is misguided here by a bias against the rail...

I certainly consider a direct rail link between Dublin-Galway-Westport-Dublin as a major trip generator and tourist trail. It's not unfounded to assume the small towns inbetween would benefit from that.

I fully agree with 90% of this. WRC phase 2+3 (Athenry-Claremorris) should not be unfairly prioritised above other projects. It looks like we'll start properly investing in rail in the near to medium term, like the motorways in 00s. Hopefully it won't (and it certainly shouldn't) be a case of this project or that project.

I've posted previously on the so called "Reports". I can repost this if you like? EY made fundamental significant errors in their assessment and showed a clear bias against the project. If you disagree with my assessment of their report, then please challenge the points I raised on that. No one did when I posted about that.

• Advertisement

@Pete_Cavan here's my review of that EY report (also attached). If you disagree with my conclusion that EY were flawed in their assessment, please challenge my points. If not, please stop referring to this report to conclude the railway is uneconomical.

I know that rail supporters love to discredit the EY report but it's not the only report to have reached such conclusions. Even the AIRR doesn't recommend reopening north of Claremorris, despite advocating for Portadown - Mullingar! It has €400 - 600m just for Athenry - Claremorris.

We can even go back as far as the 2005 McCann Report if you want. It estimated a cost of €75m to reopen Athenry - Ennis. The actual cost a few years later was €106m, a 40% increase. If we take McCann's cost for Claremorris - Collooney (€197m) and increase it by 40% we are at €275m, then allow for cost increases between 2009 and whenever construction might start. Once completed, we can also use Limerick - Foynes as a real world, current benchmark.

The faffing about the EY report is a convenient distraction for some but irrelevant overall. We know it'll cost an obscene amount, the existing network at either end is insufficient with not enough being done to address that, and that there is not a good enough payback.Whatever about Athenry - Claremorris, there simply isn't a case to be made for reopening Claremorris - Collooney for a long time. We have got a least half a century of more necessary rail investment projects to be getting on with. In the meantime, greenway makes perfect sense. Again, we have real world examples of the benefits of greenways (and they go beyond just tourists and get used all year round).

Rather than constantly trying to discredit or simply ignore reports which don't suit their narrative, rail supporters have to come up with a credible case for WRC. Why should taxpayers money be invested in WRC, ahead of other projects with a stronger business case (we have lots of them)? WRC is at least a decade away from reopening even if it was approved tomorrow, why should a low cost greenway be ignored in the meantime?

Just to be clear, phase 2 is considered Athenry-Tuam and phase 3 is Tuam-Claremorris. That whole section should be considered a single phase. Can you please reconsider your response based on that. I am not supportive of Claremorris-Colooney.

Calling out clear bias in a report that is regularly pulled up (for your side of the argument) is absolutely legitimate. My main issue is on the "Benefit" side of the equation, not the cost side.

The closed WRC is 126km long. The section north of Claremorris is 74km long and has been closed since the mid 70s. The facts reflect exactly what I said,.

Again was that "most of the closed WRC has been unused since the mid 70s", lest you try to suggest that I said something else or claim I am trying to move the goalpost. You saying "trains traversed athenry to claremorris up until the late 90s" doesn't disprove what I said and is you trying to move the goalposts.

I'm not sure if its your comprehension of the English language or basic maths that is your issue here. Either way, you make yourself look for stupid. Hopefully you'll admit you were wrong or at least just quietly drop it and move on like your "poverty wage jobs" comment.

Omg there are so many things in that report which are absolute nonsense. Every time I look at it I find more.

Example - Property Value:

They throw in +€10m benefit due to Property Value increases. That's €500 per household along the route (18,000 households). Even if that was €10k for 4,000 households, you have a benefit of +€40m.

They also include €90m of additional capex investment out to 2056, starting with €10m in 2031, another €40m between 2040 and 2049. If €40m was being spent again in 2040, that would need its own CBA. It doesn't make any sense to beef up the capex that much for a CBA analysis on simply reopening the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

I read this and it only makes me think ‘It will never cost less to build the WRC than it would today’. Phase 1 is seeing significant increases in passengers, bucking the national trend. It was a tough investment at the time owing to the financial downturn, but I think it looks good now.

Why must we always wait until everything else is in place before we move ahead with building adequate infrastructure? Our capital airport with 34m annual passengers isn’t served by rail. Galway City doesn’t have a ring road or any alternate transport solutions in place. Our second and third cities are not connected by motorway. Double rail tracking. Progress in these projects is now being suffocated by the very developments and populace that we think are required for these projects to proceed. (eg. Dublin airport needs to go underground adding astonishing cost)

We’re a cash rich country, we should be investing in infrastructure projects all over the country and not in some linear one by one fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

The same goes for any other rail project. Inflation alone ensures that. It's the same for all capital projects. However take the Dublin Navan rail line for example. Are you honestly saying that the WRC ranks above this? Navan has a half hourly bus service to Dublin plus the building of the M3. You can't get much clearer when it comes to demand. Bray to Greystones is another example of a line in need of investment. That's just two examples.

The country has money but it doesn't have unlimited money. Money needs to be put towards projects that have the best return on investment. There are lots of projects with better ROI for the country than the WRC for rail projects alone never mind the countless other things money could be spent on.

This thread alone is an example of how bad an investment the WRC is. The Navan Dublin railway line doesn't have a big thread because the demand for it is self evident. There is no need to argue over report semantics. The same goes for plenty of other rail projects.

It’s curious. I ended my post that you quoted advocating that projects shouldn’t be done in a linear, one by one fashion but you jump straight into prioritisation.

Id expect that if you were to list Irelands top 50 infrastructure opportunities and then ranked them economically the top 8 would be in Dublin and it’s commuter belt and the west and north west wouldn’t get a look in.

That might sit well with some people, but an unbalanced strategy like this only suffocates Dublin further - people and economies follow the money and investment. It also accelerates the economic decay that has lead to the west and northwest of Ireland being classified as a ‘lagging region’ by the EU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Increasing private property values is not a justification for the taxpayer to spend money.

Scrap the cap!

While it is true to say ‘It will never cost less to build the WRC than it would today’, the same applies to practically every other potential project. We obviously can't build everything now, or even over the next 10 years, there are too many constraints (funding, labour, planning system, regional development, etc.).

We need to prioritise. For some reason, WRC gets pushed as a priority, even against projects which could deliver more benefits for the reason. This attitude actually prevents us from delivering the infrastructure we need.

A greenway on the line could be delivered in a much shorter time for a fraction of the price and get the benefits from that. Instead nothing will happen while we wait for €500m+ for a train service when a bus would suffice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The idea that Dublin should not get infrastructure which comparable European cities of its size got 50+ years ago because it will "suffocate Dublin" is laughable.

Scrap the cap!

It’s not. There are two different lenses here.

Should Dublin get adequate infrastructure: Of course

Should Dublin exclusively get all infrastructure capital investment, which I think is what happens if you prioritise national projects one by one: No.

If Dublin were to get all the investment, then it would logically get all the jobs, then that’s where people will move to and yes - the suffocation continues.

Dublin didn’t get its investment 50 years ago, so everyone else can take a seat?

Remember, I’m responding to the theme of ranking and prioritisation

Exactly. The same cycle of arguments over and over when there is room for both pieces of infrastructure. Other countries would just build the damn things side by side and very little would be said about it.

I don't speak for everyone who supports the WRC, but I'm don't think anyone expects WRC to be prioritised immediately. I certainly don't.

I'm fully supportive of a Greenway being built while the country figures out how to build these projects faster. They can't even get a few bus corridors through the planning system...

And don't bring up old reports to back up your arguments, then immediately dismiss other people for faffing, because they question the validity of those reports. You do that without responding to the glaring errors that are pointed out. Then dismiss the reports as irrelevant. Extremely arrogant and rude.

There are a lot more deserving rail projects in Galway and Mayo ahead of the WRC. You don't need to focus on Dublin

I tend to agree, however it is only one measure, of many, which was considered in the CBA. Since it was included in the report by EY, I assume it is normally considered in a CBA.

The whole point of a CBA is assessing the economic value produced by an investment. Increased property values is a small piece of that puzzle, not the main driver by far.

I’m certainly on the record on this thread saying Galway to Athenry double tracking would be required before Athenry to Claremorris would be re-instated, if that’s what you’re alluding to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Is it not 10m uplift in property *tax* due to increased values over a specific timespan?

I don't believe property value increases are counted in CBAs at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

And doubling Galway to Athenry would allow more trains to Limerick also? Is that correct?

4/5 a day is poor.

To me, doubling Galway to Athenry helps everybody.

• separate IC and local trains
    • new stations in Renmore and Roscam
    • more services to Oranmore and Athenry for commuters and students
    • better for Ennis and Limerick trains
    • More trains to LK?
    • Makes it easier to run trains to Tuam
    • more flexibility / less delays

Is it that somebody needs to convince Clare, GY and Mayo local cllrs and TD that doubling Galway to Athenry helps everybody?

• Advertisement

actually rail supporters don't need to do anything, the case for the WRC was shown to be sound years ago, the only reason we didn't get phases 2 and 3 open was the recession.

what is effectively a minny motor way is not really low cost, you are not going to get a real greenway which is effectively a blue way realy which would be low enough cost.

even so, there are more important areas for investment in cycle infrastructure such as the major towns and cities.

that is i suspect why you won't get a green way, because in truth the amount that would benefit from it in the areas is low compared to the journey opportunities a regional railway can bring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Why wouldn't they use a Greenway in winter ?

They're already out walking all over the place . It's an additional walking route

you made a statement that was incorrect, and then shifted the goal posts to simply north of claremorris when your statement was shown to be incorrect for the section south of claremorris.

you can twist it all you like, but i know what you said and you have just admitted what you originally said in your post which was most of the wrc, claremorris to sligo is not most of the wrc.

a bus would suffice for some yes, but not for all.

therefore a bus would not suffice instead of the rail line, but would compliment it.

road and rail are the way forward, bus as a way to get out of building rail or instead of rail rather then on it's own merrits is a discredited notion from the 80s.

it would certainly help potentially to run more trains to limerick, but you would need to double limerick to limerick junction as well, + put in more passing loops on the line from ennis junction to athenry.

redoubling limerick to limerick junction is happening i believe.

What I said was that "most of the closed WRC has been unused since the mid 70s". This is true. The word closed is in my original post which remains unedited.

You are clearly trolling at this stage.

• Advertisement

yes, that was what you originally said, and then when i corrected you that this wasn't the case, that limerick to mayo was used up until the late 90s, you shifted the goalposts to north of claremorris, as in claremorris to sligo, which is not most of the WRC and which wasn't even being debated.

anyway you have been corrected so my work is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭DoctorPan

Limerick to Ennis and Galway to Athenry are the infrasturce bottlenecks to increased capacity on the corridor. Doubling Galway to Athenry increases capacity/improve journey times for that small section and increase capacity for additional trains but on the WRC they'd just end up sitting at Ennis station to filter down to Limerick. Indeed additional an additional passing loop at Oranmore is underway and indeed studies into capacity imrpovements for Lim Ennis section are under way as well.

The closed WRC is 126km long.

The section north of Claremorris is 74km long and has been closed since the mid 70s.

Those 74km (which has been used since the mid 70s) represent the majority of the closed WRC.

Therefore "most of the closed WRC has been unused since the mid 70s" (I quotation marks as that is my original comment).

I really need to question your intelligence if you still think that you corrected me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Are there any passing loops between LK and Ennis?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭DoctorPan

No, between Limerick and Ennis, there's no passing loops until Ennis itself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement