Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2 Johnnies Late Night Lock In

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,436 ✭✭✭squonk

I think I’d be happier if they were still spending their money on flip flops and doomed musicals

Post edited by squonk on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭StevenToast

RTE think these clowns are like the 2nd coming of christ....

Just leave us alone....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,738 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

The title of the show alone is cringe, hard pass here.

It is. If this was 11:35 you’d say something. Nighthawks it won’t be I guarantee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

The case for letting RTE go to the wall just getting stronger & stronger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

They're the new Amy Huberman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Sorolla

God love them - they are a dose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Una Healy and Marty Morrissey!!

If the late late show are scraping the bottom of the barrell for guests then where are these clowns sourcing theirs??

They' ve gone through the barrell and down into the dirt ...

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I never find anything funny/comedic coming out of Irish broadcasting. It's terrible. Bland and unfunny. Like failing the leaving cert / have a pint / emigrate unfunny.

Foil, Arms, Hog can be very funny. And they produce their own stuff and distribute for free to the world on YouTube. It looks way more professional than anything done on the traditional broadcasting channels here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,483 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

....And arrived at the rat infested rte canteen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Dreadful stuff. The two lads and their version of bog comedy just isn't good enough. They should be on Tipp FM or something. They are absolutely atrocious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

And they wonder why people aren't paying licence fees

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Gave it 5mins and couldn't take anymore. Absolute rubbish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Sure tis only a bit of a crack ,crack on a thursday night!!1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭supereurope

I lived in the UK for 16 years until the start of 2022, living a (mostly) happy life blissfully unaware of the existence of these two unfunny clowns. Then I came home and saw them everywhere. If they weren't guests on the Late Late Show, they were guests on Today, and if they weren't on Today, they had some RTÉ 2 show, and if they weren't on RTÉ 2, they were on the radio.

RTÉ seems to have this thing where every so often, in an attempt to counter claims that its too Dublin-focused, they send some executive down to counties Tipperary, Clare or Limerick to find some locally-popular DJ or comedy act, and bring them back to Dublin where they're put in front of everything because "all the rural folk will love it." It happened about 25 years ago with Pat Shortt and now it's happening again with The 2 Johnnies.

Apparently, this show is promising "celebrity guests." If the flagship RTÉ chat show on Friday nights can't get high-profile guests, how the heck are these guys going to find anyone? I saw the start of it in the pub earlier this evening and saw they had Una Healy on, a whole fortnight after her Late Late appearance.

BTW, I grew up on a farm in Co Cork. I'm now back living there, and absolutely no one I know around here likes The 2 Johnnies.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Shocking stuff altogether. Looking around the audience, our dress sense as a nation hasn't improved at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,147 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I've never seen a single these guys have done but saw they're having an open air concert/live podcast thing in Dublin next summer and I assumed somebody out there must like them. This thread suggests not.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 HarryMolloy

I'm a culchie, I like culchie things, I speak like these two johnnies act yet I can not stand them. This is in response to people who usually say its Dubs who don't like hearing culchies in the media.

The fat Johnnie has a really big opinion of himself. He thinks he's fcuking hilarious.

I just can't stand the stereotypical culchie craic. It just looks all fake and scripted. I remember the first time they were on the late late and they were asked "how are ye" and fat Johnny says "it's like driving the back roads with no tax, not great but we're getting away with it".

A pal of mine had a free ticket to their podcast thing in 3 arena last year so I went along. I couldnt believe how bad it was. The show opened with women dressed in christmas attire dancing. All those around me started laughing their heads off. I didn't know what they were laughing at.

Then random shouts were made like "would she dhrink oil"

Anyways, the show goes on and they have a skit of a character with a ladder. Reminded me of Pat Shortt, basically a carbon copy of his character from 15 years ago or so.

The same spiel fat Johnnie had on the late late show a few weeks back about marriage and say yes to the dress, he said the exact same thing at the show nearly a year ago!

Then they finished with songs...the fcukers actually think they can sing!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭HBC08

Obviously going against the grain here but the two lads are likeable and some of that was a bit of craic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Hardy Bucs was great comedy. It was culchie west of Ireland, but culchie rebels. All about drinking, drugging and trying to get laid. Hardy Bucs and Podge and Rodge is the only funny things RTÉ have done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,051 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭bop1977

dont feed the gondolas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Yeah grand. They shouldnt be anywhere near national tv or nationl airwaves though. Its tragic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭bop1977

these two im liking less and less as each day goes on.

Mrs B on the other hand loves them.

the fat lads joke is he played minor for Tipp. The bigger joke is it was tipp football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Oh yeah I was young then but I remember that was great. Ahascraghhhhh!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭mikep

They remind me of Maeve Higgins, where some people believe saying unfunny things but with an accent, in their case, a fake bogger Tipp accent, seems to miraculously make it funny...

Maeve Higgins made it by having a Cork accent and that's about it..

BTW I grew up and still live in Tipp and don't know anyone with their accent ..

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭supereurope

It was great in its first few series, then they changed the format and Sean Moncrieff left, and it just wasn't the same.

I still refer to an en suite as an "en sweetie" after one of Monica Looley's calls.

Pat Shortt was funny though and did good own productions. I really wouldn’t lump him in with dross like the 2 johnnies. I get he want everyone’s cup of tea and I like him but do find some of the stuff cringe at times. Hardy Bucks set a massively high bar for west of Ireland comedy that won’t be beaten for a very long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 HarryMolloy

RTE dont get credit for Hardy Bucks. They sanitised it down. And one of the good things that made HB was the poor production quality. It was like real life, a lad recording on a camera phone. Doesnt work as well when you get a professional setup in.

Advertisement