Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭User1998

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I’ve driven Toyota hybrids from the very early 2000’s that have one pedal driving. You put it in ‘B’ mode and the car starts to brake any time you let go of the accelerator. Mind you, the braking isn’t as severe as a modern EV.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The definition of one pedal driving is that if you lift off the accelerator, the car comes to a complete stop. Pretty much all BEV / PHEV / HEV have regen braking, but that doesn't count!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

My mk2 prius didnt have one pedal driving, it has similar regen to my 2011 leaf in their respective B modes. They sometimes speed up going down a not steep hill, thats not one pedal driving.

Sold now. Hope someone in here bought it? 2020 Model 3 in a nice colour for about €23-24k or so. Lot of car for the money...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Not 100% in the theme of the thread but I think it's a relevant video for what's going on in the UK

For some context the cheapest Ford Fiesta petrol at the time he made the video was £11k, so already a challenge

Interestingly prices seem to have bottomed out in the UK and are now on the rise again since demand has picked up. Funny how making things cheaper does that

I feel like there's a bit of road left here for prices to drop, partly because they were insanely high (and still are in many cases).

But I think there's also a bunch of dealerships that sold cars on PCP in 2021 which are starting to trade in. The dealership has to offer a decent trade in because otherwise customers will just jump to Tesla, but then they'll struggle to sell those on at a profit if 2nd hand prices drop much more

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

Theres one from a dealer priced only €2k more, so I wouldn't consider €12.5k from a private sale a bargain considering the high mileage it has.

It would be a good buy at €10k which I imagine the seller would accept in person if you arrived with cash. The add is very poor and won’t attract many potential buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭djan

Does the SV Premium of thst year have the 360 cams, bose soundsystem and heated steering wheel/seats?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭Goose81

13k for any 8 year old MB is not bad value, how much was it new? Not everyone needs or cares about fast charging

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

I’d say the point they were making was related to battery degradation, reduced range, old tech, and the fact that any battery issues would likely write off the car. I think this car was only sold for 2 years (15-17), which is a huge red flag too.

for that risk, the price of older tech EVs needs to be bargain basement.

according to the internet, the motorway cold range on that car brand new was barely 105km(!), so I’m guessing today it’s 80-90km, with mixed driving. That reduces the buyer pool massssssively.

It’s a Mercedes Fluence for €13k.

Post edited by sk8board on

• Advertisement

Worse, electric / battery parts are impossible to get as they were Tesla sourced from a time when Mercedes owned a small minority in Tesla and the latter shared their tech. But the parts were not identical, so can not be replaced by Tesla parts. And near impossible to get second hand / from car dismantler's either as the number of these cars produced was tiny

Believe me, I looked into this as the Mercedes would have made a nice second family car for me. Indeed, like the Fluence, or like the BMW i3 that I have now. None of them can fast charge, which is fine for me and which made the purchase price relatively low

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

AFAIK: Yes, no, not as standard in Irish spec but yes in UK imports.

Fair enough but the car would still suit alot of people regardless of the battery condition and calling it a non bargain, how much does he think an 8 year old Merc is going to sell for, 2k.. BMW and Mercedes are expensive cars used or new they command a premium

It's simple: risk vs reward. The B class BEV out of warranty is a huge risk, as @sk8board rightly mentioned, a serious battery fault and the car is end of life (although the batteries will still have significant value then). That risk has to be rewarded. The price has to be sufficiently cheap for someone to be willing to take that risk

Most cars would be out of battery warranty, who cares.. I just paid 36k for a 2018 530e, that has no warranty on the battery and if the battery goes the car can't be driven on a petrol engine .. i didn't have a second thought about a battery warranty and judging by the amount of them for sale neither do most people

You are on here the whole time preaching about ev's, but you are saying you would only ever buy one that still has a warranty on the battery ? So you are basically saying that buying any used EV that's over 6 years old is an absolute lottery, that's not a great endorsement of EV's

I think you got me completely wrong. I'd buy an out of warranty 2018 BMW 530e in a heartbeat. The battery is readily available from BMW and much cheaper again second hand on eBay or from a scrapyard. The replacement is an easy DIY job if you have a lift to take it out. Two men can lift the pack. As a matter of fact, I actually bought the full pack from a 2019 BMW 530e myself a few months ago from Kilcock dismantlers for €1200, took it apart, reconfigured it and fitted it to my '96 BMW 318tds (converted to electric) 😂

That's it there fitted to the "Red Arrow", all 9.135kWh of it 😁

In your case if your battery goes, I have no idea what BMW would charge to replace it but I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't have much more than a few grand left from €10k. Not many indies that would take that job on in Ireland but they are coming / growing as we all make the transition to electrified transport

My main point in this case was that the partnership between Tesla and Mercedes ended many years ago and afaik, Mercedes do not have any parts, nor can they get any. And the parts are not the same as with Teslas. These BEV B-class were produced in tiny numbers. All adding to a big risk but if you know what you are at and you are inventive enough to find a replacement part, then sure go for it.

I think I did misunderstand. You know more than me about it, I should have kept my mouth shut. I was just looking at the headline of you saying an 8 year old MB at that price was crazy.

Tbh I'm handy enough with cars if my battery went I would replace it myself, given the costs involved once I could find enough resources for what else needs to be done re coding etc..

Do you have a project page for the build you did with the 318? I would like to see what you did, that's very cool

People here would be shocked but really low range batteries suit some people. My car does 36-40 km of range and I have had it 3 months and used about 1/8 tank of fuel. I use it essentially as a purely electric vehicle and it suits me perfectly. I don't care about a fast charger I just plug it in every night into my outdoor socket.

So if I was going full used EV , a range of 90km would be plenty I reckon , same with lots of people

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭joe1303l

The BMW 318 is back with the guy who originally converted it. Recent update here; https://youtu.be/pgsdg7C0Dx8?si=P1lXHiFgcqniUUsk

Couldn't agree more about short range EVs! I currently have a Fluence Z.E. myself (no longer in use by me) and a BMW i3 now as my second car. Neither of them can fast charge

Here's the page of my ownership time of the Red Arrow

Yep. It's all on my thread above. I got the car in a terrible state and spent quite some time and money getting it ready for the NCT. But when the car failed on structural failures (that I can't fix), I took out and sold the battery and charger that I had bought for it and I donated the car back to its maker, Damien Maguire, legend of EV conversions and well known in those circles all over the world. He is working very hard to get it back in shape again, subscribe to his channel for all the follow ups. The conversion playlist is also well worth your while:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Obviously this offer is only applicable to Taxi drivers but it looks like a no brainer if you’ve a suitable clapped out diesel to scrap ?

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/35218893

MG MG5 SW EV Taxi Offer - 82pw- Taxi Fit Out Incl

Yep we have a few threads about taxi BEV alright. @Gumbo has posted about them a lot. Iirc you used to be able to get a brand new MG5 for €13k as a taxi driver. It is beyond me that there aren't any more. Guy in my estate is a taxi driver, and he just doesn't want to know about them, for the usual prejudicial reasons like the battery will be dead in 2 years costing €10k to replace, the range will drop from 300km to 100km within a year, they go on fire, can't use them in the rain, etc. Maybe he reads the sun or something 😂

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

€10,400 for the original MG5 on the road back in 2021. Albeit the older smaller battery.

Lenders must have a deal with a local fit out company to offer this, maybe skan or Robinson.

You could possibly save a few quid by doing it all yourself but the devil is o the detail, you get 20kmfor the grant of scrapping, but if your car is ok, you can actually sell it to the likes of N2 Salavge and you’ll get scrap values, in our case, just a little over 2k for the Prius which meant we got 22k off the cars.

Post edited by Gumbo on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Maybe this has been posted already, 5k Fluence, mileage suspiciously low!

This looks like ridiculous value

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/renault-fluence-z-e-dynamique-automatic/35316488

Not really a bargain as the car has been out of NCT for quite some time and the battery is under lease, meaning you have to pay Renault Finance a fixed monthly fee until the car is scrapped. Unless you buy it out, some people have been able to do that relatively cheaply

But yeah in general a battery owned, NCTd Fluence in very good condition for around €5-6k is a lot of car for the money.

I see! Is there a link to check the battery is under lease, or is it a given that all Renault batteries are under lease?

I presume you meant to quote the Fluence, not the czero

It's a given that all Fluence are under lease. Unless the owner has a letter from Renault Finance Ireland specifically stating that the battery is no longer under lease and that the addressee has bought it out

I own a Fluence Z.E. and I have that letter.

The Fluence has NCT until November 2024, you can see it in the photos.

That Citreon was posted here about 4 months ago, surprised no one has bought it.

• Advertisement

You might be wrong on this one, I've messaged the seller, he owns the battery

Advertisement