Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭kentu

Well the County board really messed up with that one hoping to have 4 matches on this weekend and now with the U19 games off The Junior and Intermediate on separate days. Can't see too many people paying €15 to go in 2 separate days so hopefully they will have sense in the Long term with Junior and Intermediate together forever more because it's been a good tradition always.

Anyways to matters on the field, Junior is very hard to call...The fact these 2 drew earlier in the year is very interesting, Tullogher have won 3 Championship games with relative ease while Freshford haven't hurled great 2 days and have battled back hard on both days to get wins, don't think there will be more than a puck of a ball in it either way.

Thomastown are clear favourites once again but Mooncoin play a lovely brand of short passing and interplay and will relish the underdogs tag, Pressure will be on Ttown no matter how much they try to block it out, they should edge it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

David is living in Dublin a long time and is a long time gone from dunnamaggin.He is a goal keeping coach the same as pj Ryan was with Davey. Herity is vocal and the county board wouldn't get on. Anytime I've heard him talk I find him intresting and given our lack of ideas when it comes to puckouts its an area we needed strengthen

Guys are going for experience and the money. It's no secret Kilkenny are tight when it comes to spending money. I don't know if he was asked to get involved at underage but he should of being.He did do some coaching clinic thing in kierans I think during the summer but maybe lads aren't as interested getting involved with underage teams in their county.

Eddie Brennan trained a tipp club and John Carroll was involved with lisdowney but going in with the county is probably a bit different.why didn't lyng get herity on board as soon as he stepped down from kildare? Loyalty has gone out the window and henry and Mackey Harte going to derry have being the two biggest but I'm sure this will continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Herity is back living in Kilkenny the last couple of years to me he is a cocky past players coached him .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Lads reminder ye had an 'outsider' involved during your golden period with Laois man Mick Dempsey.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 AhBoyDelaney

No impact on Laois. Henry was involved in trying to stop his nephew captaining KK to Leinster. He looked terrible watching Eoin collect the cup. Shame on these lads after all they won with KK to take the 12 pieces of silver but by God Herity has gone to an all time low going in with the arch enemy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Spot on again. Turning your back on your parish, club and club players, family, fellow county players whom you wouldn't have won much without them and supporters - ain't nice in my book.

Dempsey had a pub in John street lived in Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Jaysus lads how much money do you think he is going to get as a goalkeeping coach at intercounty level?!

He is going for experience

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Did pj Ryan not help Wexford to beat us in a Leinster final a few years ago? I don't seem to remember anyone calling for his head at the time?

Herity to me is a very astute deep thinker of the game..I personally will welcome him back with open arms if and when he takes any type of role within the Kilkenny gaa set up..same with Henry by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭jonniegoogle

Kilkenny have been crying out for a goalie coach for the last 10 years but I think this wasn't considered by our previous manager! I don't blame Herity for moving to other counties where his ideas would be embraced rather than frowned upon.

I still think Henry was right to turn down Cody. Absolutely no say in anything if he had joined up with KK. Where would loyalty have gotten him.....sitting behind Cody frustrated at not being listened to, going home from training the same??

No, both players made the right call.

• Advertisement

Henry might be sitting behind Eamon O'Shea in Galway soon! Pat Hoban could be the next Galway manager!

Going to that shower is different,ask anybody in the area where they have to vote in the next general election Tipperary what they feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭PáircLife

Money talks! And at least he'll feel his ideas and puck-out strategies will be listened to in the Tipp camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Rochelle

Small-minded, parochial, backwoodsman pig-ignorant mindset typical of so many GAA dinosaurs.

Aside from the fact that Herity wouldn't have a hope of getting a role with Kilkenny due to similar neanderthals to you at the helm, good luck to him for

furthering himself...as others have pointed out, you weren't so indignant about PJ Ryan, Eddie Brennan and the likes... could it be that you're some way linked to the Quinn/Henderson mafia?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Truth be told1974

I agree with the vast majority you have said.........but going to TIPPERARY........!!

Ned Quinn was autocratic but one hell of an administrator

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Village87

Lads has anyone taking into account Herity was the worst Kilkenny goalie we ever had, I cant remember him making one good save. and his puck out were terrible, all I remember from him is making mistakes, he was a bag of nerves in the goal

• Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

This 🔼

A case of "do as i say, not as i do "??..

And his excessive slapping of the hurley onto his hand ....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭kksaints

Don't know why lads get overworked up at explayers coaching in different counties. It's basically a part time job at this stage so you go where you get the best conditions. Also why should lads coach at underage here when there's a better position available in another county that probably has better pay and better chances of making a name for yourself for future roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Isn't it obvious why people on here would like these lads to coach underage within Kilkenny? Does it really need to be spelled out? Most of us come from a background where people volunteer with the GAA to try and better the club in some form or fashion. For some that means coaching the younger players to try and improve them in the hope that at least some of them will go on to represent the club at adult level. Ultimately serve the parish in the hope of better days ahead.

At county level the same principals still apply for a lot of folk. The GAA was never about making money, but that appears to be changing.

Clearly these are different times and the GAA probably has themselves to blame for this. The expectations of time and commitment from volunteers has only increased over the years and especially so at county level. A number of the lads who are now taking up positions at county level (and even club level to a certain degree) are very much doing this for their own benefit and financial gain. They're not interested in the long term benefits of the county/club they're with. To a certain degree this is inevitable given the commitments involved now.

But it's no surprise that a large number of posters here (myself included) are unhappy about the way it's going.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

I can understand why some people would not be impressed with former kilkenny hurlers going to other counties...what I don't understand is the difference between herity going to tipp and pj ryan going to Wexford..

If its just because its tipp then it's ridiculous and childish..also insulting to Wexford who have beaten us often enough in the recent past to be considered a rival..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Wedger90

In fairness if you are going to mention parish rule then some of the town teams addressees would have them hurling outside the city

• Registered Users Posts: 30 AhBoyDelaney

To be honest I had forgotten about PJ Ryan and Wexford but I would put him in same bracket as Herity.

Dunnamaggin whilst not their best performance fought back well to go in at ht only 4 points down. The village found other gears in the 2nd half and were worthy winners.

Dunna are the 2nd best Minor team in the County having got to Div 1 League final and the Roinn A County final. If they are only 'average' what does that say about the rest of the teams at Minor Level in the county

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Marrooned

What happened in the league ?

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Correct. There is a grey area around the town teams but there are also dispensations and exceptions to these rules that are practical. At least we have a reasonably good system in place.

What about lads living outside the town hurling with the town teams?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Neewollah

Most are still within the parish boundaries. St Patrick's almost touches Bennettsbridge and goes a distance out the kells Rd. St John's goes well out into clara and close to Muckalee. Canices goes well out the Freshford and tullaroan roads. There are a few exceptions but most of these lads are playing for their parishes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Tulougher withstood the onslaught to record a good win.some good underage hurlers in Marty Murphy and Danny Glennon I’m not sure about Conor Hennessy and a few others and the Leinster championship will give them a wealth of experience. Hard to know who played well for Freshford as you couldn’t see the numbers on their backs who ever made them and who ever bought them have a lot to answer.

Advertisement