Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"I started a joke, that started the whole world ......" | Ireland v New Zealand.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Demolished? Please stop! We lost by 4. France lost by a geehair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

No idea what Murray was thinking. Your fullback is Keenan so you gotta be confident he is going to catch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,490 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Probably could've been a penalty/ YC against Barrett aswell, given how Keenan landed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭TheRona

How does this work? If an Irish player knocks his own player off balance while they're in the air making a catch, they just penalise the nearest All Black?

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭mrm

Jesus, of course not.

Doesn't have to be the nearest, any All Black on the pitch will do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,490 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

From memory, Keenan fell over Jordie, who didn't jump because of Murray, but not sure he was ever in a realistic position to challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Wales well beaten, England will be well beaten. I said demolished OR beaten. It will be an all SH final and another SH winner like 90% of previous tournaments.

SH dominance in the World Cup is and always was OVERWHELMING, as in never in doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Greengrass53

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭TheRona

Na, it was Beirne who put Keenan off balance. Jordie had already been flattened.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,100 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I think we now know why it is happening in this particular competition. It's suits their season better. That's were those 4 extra, 1 extra points are coming from.

• Advertisement

At elite level it usually comes down to fine margins and who is that 1 or 2% better when it matters. Unfortunately that wasn't us.

I agree, but on a level playing field there is nothing between the top teams. There has to be a reason why the SH teams do so well at this specific contest and I think part of it is because of it's timing.

How you deal with that given the commitments NH teams have is anyone's guess. Would I be in favour of taking the foot off in the 6 Nations in order to win a World Cup - absolutely not TBH. I wouldn't want our competitions diminished so there has to be care taken in getting the balance right.

The performance of the 6 nations teams at the world cup was overall poor. Scotland, Wales and Italy completely underperformed and I read nothing into Wales win against an awful Australia. England have yet to be tested, but I can see the game against SA being over after 20 minutes. You'd expect France to beat SA, especially at home, and you'd expect us to beat NZ, expecially if they had 2 yellows.

The biggest issue for NH teams at the WC is consistancy and the ability to string 3 or 4 good games together which you need to go far in it. Its frustrating.

Clearly it isn't, looking at the tournament overall since it began.

Unless your claim is the SH teams are significantly better - the facts don't support that IMO. IRE, FRA, in this cycle are certainly on a par with the best in SH. A 1 point and a 4 point win bears that oiut.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭Augme

SH teams have generally always been a level above their NH counterparts. Ireland only best NZ for the first time in 2016. France have always been widely inconsistent and, at times, just bad. Same with the other NH teams. They all gone through periods of being great to awful.

The SH have always been consistently excellent and are consistently used to winning. Very few NH have been capable of doing that over long periods. This world cup is probably the first ever where two NH teams have looked as strong as their SH counterparts. It's no surprise that the teams who have a more consistent winning mentality have pulled out the victories.

As for not wanting the six nations to be diminished, it is already as there's only two good teams in it. The rest are average, at best.

Well if that's the case, we aren't going to win this thing until we become consistent.

IMO there are subtler things like the timing of the tournament and the commitment to our own competitions at club and country level that are producing the consistent WC results.

Just my view of it and I am not sure what can be done about that.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I don't think the 6N has anything to do with it tbh, or at least I don't think us focusing on winning 6Ns has anything to do with it, I think we proved that this year. We were excellent in the 6N this cycle, nothing was sacrificed, and we were in an excellent position going into this WC. Everything was set up perfectly for us, I don't think you could possibly be in a better position.

The problem, IMO, is entirely down to mentality and preparation.

We haven't figured out how to prepare a team to do the business in the pool stages but then be able to further raise their game in the knockouts, I don't think we've yet learnt how to build momentum to peak at the absolute best time. SA and NZ know how to do this.

The RWC is obviously a different beast to the 6N, it's a much more difficult tournament to be successful in. Even with the plethora of fairly average teams involved, the format, schedule, squad restrictions etc make it far more difficult.

I think the approach you need to win a 6N is very different to the approach required to be successful at a RWC, and we just haven't figured out what the differences required are yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Close it seems, as the All Black fans here seem to be delighted beating Ireland the last day.

Most NZ supporters seemed surprised/relieved they managed the win.

--

I think it has something to do with mindsets, for most Irish rugby fans the bar was much lower historically than going beyond the QF's of a WC. The focus was on a grand slam in the 6N, or a test series victory against the All Blacks.

Hopefully in future Irish rugby fans will realise the Rugby world cup is where it is at. This has been NZ's focus. It always has been the World Cup in their minds. Their 'famine' from 1987 - 2011 really stung them. The WC is not an easy tournament to win even for the best in the world, it is a knockout tournament after all.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

One of the two -SA or NZ (if they make it) are not going to 'peak' at the right time Awec. That's knockout competitions for you.

When exactly do you 'peak'? The final? Or the QF, in which case you are descending as either SA or NZ will now, because somebody has to win it.

I don't think you can 'peak' for one game.

I don't see any other option but to do the same again, arrive at the tournament in our best possible shape and take it from there. It may just be as simple as, 'try again, fail again, fail better.'

Is there a case to be made for not over-complicating or over-thinking it?

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Unless you're really, really lucky with the draw (like England) then it's the knockout games when you're going to have to really be in tip-top condition. Coming out of the pools, you need to be stepping it up. NZ and SA both stepped it up, I don't think we can say the same. We appeared to be caught off caught by the first 20 mins of the game, as if we weren't expecting it.

But these are 2 teams with lots of experience of going far in this tournament, they know how to shrug off pool stage defeats, they know that in any RWC the 3 most important games are the last 3. They know what the approach needs to be to maximise the chances that the players turn up for these big knockout games.

We've definitely got a lot better here, in previous RWCs we've completely emptied the tank in the pool stages. We're better but IMO not quite there yet.

This is why I'd love us to bring someone in who has been there and done it. Like Felix Jones (just a random name, not suggesting he'd be interested) I'm sure would have loads of insights into how SA approached their run of fixtures, given it was very similar to ours. What did they say to the players before and after the Ireland game? How did they prepare before the Ireland game? Did they talk the game up? Did they talk the game down? Did they change how they ran training once the pools were over? Did the message change, did the way the message was delivered change etc?

How did that compare to our approach?

As I said before, Mike Catt is the only person involved in Irish Rugby who has any experience whatsoever of getting the job done at a RWC, and his experience was over 20 years ago. This has bound to have an impact.

• Advertisement

You didn't address the point that only one team at a world cup 'peaks' correctly or can 'peak' correctly.

I agree that we probably should have more confidence in the squad rather than the team and rotate more. But in a group like ours that could catch you out too.

. They brought in Keane and Harrington, maybe others, to talk about the winning mentality thing, so they were doing some work on that.

I honestly, a week away from the defeat, don't think there is much more to be done than what we did, just do it a bit better next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,408 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Really really lucky like England with the draw. Yeh that draw had nothing to do with getting to a final last time.

Ireland's draw had everything to do with getting knocked out at the QF stage again.

I

• Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭Augme

I agree, generally speaking the Irish team isn't that consistent. The last 24 months have very much been the exception to the rule. But the reality we don't produce enough good rugby players to consistently produce excellent results.

I thinknthe subtler things are the mentality and the culture around Irish rugby. Someone posted here before, we view world cups as a additional extra and we make 6 nations a priority. Most other top nations do the opposite. Our club system is a god send in terms of allowing the national team do as well as possible. We'd be in terrible shape if our club system mirrored France or England.

Until we start shifting our focus to winning a world cup I don't think much will change.

To be honest, the tournament and defeat to NZ did expose a couple of flaws that have been papered over.

Strength in depth. If you take Aki, Lowe, Hansen and Gibson Park out what are you left with in the backs? Why aren't we producing world class backs/wingers domestically that can start Ireland games?

Questions over Porter's scrummaging, never really addressed. Again we fell down on the fine margins.

Tiredness/fatigue when it came to knockout stages.

Lineout very patchy. Good enough for 6nations, nowhere good enough for big WC games.

Several more I'd say.

Our comfort zone is the 6 nations and high profile test series. World Cup is not our comfort zone.

Strength in depth...back to this...honestly, how good is it really...it plays a massive part in a World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Why is Hansen always listed with the others. He's been eligible for Ireland since Birth.

We dont need to produce "world class" backs. theres very few of them..

Porter has got away with plenty of that style of scrummaging which is partily a reason why it hasnt changed.

There was plenty of criticism here/in the media of our lineout in the 6nations and well before this world cup. its far from good enough for that and not for the world cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Tommysocks11

Our style of play is very attritional too as we have to work so hard for every score through phases as our backs wouldn't be flyers or as creative as the new Zealand backs or the French or SA for instance therefore we rely on forward line gains more which invariably fatigues our pack more so therefore we struggle more in the basics like set pieces due to tiredness

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Lineout very patchy. Good enough for 6nations, nowhere good enough for big WC games.

I'm sorry, but this kind of phrasing is so silly. It was not a case of the same lineout that was good enough for the 6N but suddenly wasn't good enough for this higher level. Our lineout in the World Cup (and indeed the warmups) was just worse than it was in the 6N. This current lineout also would struggle in the 6N. The lineout didn't collapse under the mental struggles of the heights of a knockout game against Samoa, there was just something fundamentally not working.

Believe me, I am a huge fan of the 4 players I mentioned. My point is who do we have to challenge/replace them?

Come on. A lot of teams don't even bother competing in the line out. But SA and NZ do and effectively. Put any sort of pressure on our line out and it crumbles.

Thats the difference between WC and 6N. Much more pressure on everything...line out, scrum, etc

So yes we have a mediocre line out. We can win the 6nations with it, but certainly not a WC.

• Advertisement
Advertisement