Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,658 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Dorries was only in 1 of the 20% swing constituencies.

Labour have taken 3 and Lib Dems 1 seat by 20+pp this year so polls would not indicate Dorries can be used an excuse by the Tories.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,420 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Hard to break that down, I think; both factors definitely at play. But we can see Dorries' behaviour as just a particularly egregious example of generalised low standards of governance in the Tory party, so maybe these are not really two separate factors; just a single factor which has affected mid-Bedfordshire especially badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

I caught part of Sky's coverage of these results earlier, including an interview with someone from the Lib Dems really hammering home the position that there will be no deal of any kind with Labour on strategic/tactical voting come the general election. What??? Surely the very best way to batter the Tories into complete irrelevance for a generation would be to ensure that the Lib Dems (+/- the SNP) become the Official Opposition, and see the Tories relegated to fourth place or lower.

I do understand that FPTP sometimes requires parties and their leaders/spokesmen to make statements and adopt positions that seem contrary to common sense, but I cannot see what benefit it brings to either Lab or the LDs to so vehemently reject any alignment of their electoral objectives. To me (admittedly an outsider) it comes across as another example of "we're British, we don't do consensus".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

It was more about the Mid-Beds constituency but Dorries, in particular, highlights the disconnect between the current Tories and voters (maybe not in Mid-Beds): a 'council estate Scouser' who rallied against public school types like Cameron and Osborne before pledging allegiance to Johnson and eventually choosing her rejection from the House of Lords as her hill to die on.

And she effectively abandoned her constituents while being a very prominent face among the Tories in recent years. The shitshow surrounding her resignation and that bizarre interview she did just so how little substance she has. Even water isn't that transparent.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I think its important to say publicly that there will be no deal - it keeps your own party members morale up and also gives the Conservatives and their press one less stick to beat you with.

The reality though is that the Liberals will have a certain number of target seats (maybe 30/40) and will concentrate their limited resources there. They will generally be seats that Labour don't do well in and thus will campaign softly. After last night Mid-Beds is now unlikely to be on the Liberal party target list so Labour might have a relatively clear run at defending there.

Labour will also have their set of targets (by and large Tory seats in England/Wales, Tory/SNP seats in Scotland) and whilst the Liberals will probably stand a candidate they won't spend much resources. Such unofficial nudge/wink 'Soft campaigning' is probably the best kind of deal that can be done without pushback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,648 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

That'll really cheer everyone up at the food bank queues.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

The Lib Dems hate Labour as much as the Tories do. You will find just as much upper class snobbery and rural conservativism in their ranks but just with a milder face.

Also despite the hammerings the Tories coming anything other than 2nd is just not on the cards.

"Railed against public school types" you wouldn't think it the way she sucked the aras off of king of the Brideshead cosplayers Boris Johnson.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭Shelga

Nice news to wake up to the by-election results, at the end of yet another week of very grim news. I’ll take hope wherever I can get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Truly terrible results for the Tories last night. This was after Sunak's big announcements on Net Zero, his claim to be the champion of the car driver and his conference speech. He set out to make himself the only real leader. And if anything it made things worse.

So where do they go from here?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Truly terrible results for the Tories last night. This was after Sunak's big announcements on Net Zero, his claim to be the champion of the car driver and his conference speech. He set out to make himself the only real leader. And if anything it made things worse.

I presume he was aware that they'd be getting a hiding and that's why he scheduled his trip to Israel for the same day/

So where do they go from here?

The Tories will probably keep him in place. If they are on a path to a major hiding in the next GE then I'd be surprised if anyone would be willing to take the PM role just yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Unflushable Turd

I don’t think Sunak’s conference speech made the slightest difference. It will take more than a few comments in a speech to the party faithful to restore any confidence in the Tories.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,298 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

In a normal world I'd agree with you that only a moron would want to become the new Tory PM right now; but then I look at the sitting UK government and start to doubt they would not push for it to become "the saviour of the party" because they are really that stupid and believe it.

PM would probably still be tempting for a few who are age 55+ for whom it's likely the last chance, the likes of Michael Gove, David Davis, Jeremy Hunt, John Redwood. Those who know they won't be considered after the election when the party will probably try re-invent itself with a sprightly young look.

It comes down to is it better to have been PM for 10 months than never to have been PM at all? Ultimately it's still a directly lucrative move (increased salary leading to increased pension, + the lifetime stipend of 100K for offices/staff) and also indirectly lucrative (potential book deals, media appearances, always being able to get your voice heard as 'former PM') and the extreme long-shot that you might win as a bonus.

So I think 'moronic' doesn't apply to all potential candidates. It would be a bit silly for some potential future candidates (e.g, Penny Mordaunt, Kemi Badenoch) to take it now but for others it would have a certain attraction.

"Only a moron"

So we are looking at a comeback for Liz Truss then.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,462 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The PM gig comes with a lifetime of lucrative speaking opportunities, expenses, personal soft power and employment potential. I wouldn't be surprised to see a horde of eager candidates given the short term prospects for the party. Look at Liz Truss, arguably one of the worst leaders in democratic history and what she's been up to despite lasting less than 45 days.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Unflushable Turd

I think Sunak has given up on the election, but will use the defeat as an opportunity to cleanse the party of the loonies and start to rebuild. Labour aren't going to be the magic wand people expect, so he will be betting that he will have a good shot at No 10 in four years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

What makes you think Sunak isn't one of the loonies?

He was all for Brexit, was in charge over the PPE and loans ripoff, is all in on stop the boats and the Rwanda plan.

There is nothing to suggest that Sunak is anything other than totally on board with the direction of the party.

Remember, he took the Chancellor gig knowing that No 10 had completed control over not only the decisions but even his advisors. Clearly a man willing to toe the line on anything once it benefits him

Jeysus this is some fiercely delusional stuff.

As pointed out by @Leroy42 all evidence points to Sunak being part of rather than the solution to the parties current catastrophe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,462 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Exactly. Even if he weren't doing stuff like below, as leader he's ultimately responsible.

The super spreader events, the ratcheting of taxes to an all time high, no action on climate change, allowing the NHS to fester, no action on housing and many other things can be laid at his feet.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I really dislike the framing of him being an "unelected" prime minster though (even if, frankly both parties leadership elections are horrendously undemocratic).

• Advertisement

Why? It's perfectly true. Johnson was elected in 2019. Neither Truss nor Sunak (nor Gordon Brown if you like) had a mandate.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ordinarily yes I think it's a poor argument cos all Prime Ministers have been "unelected"to a degree - but Sunak has lost all vestiges of a mandate in being the 3rd PM since the last Election. The government couldn't be less popular if it tried - and it's trying! - and the country's leader has arguably zero right to be helming the nation. The honest thing to do would be to call a GE but here we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,648 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Selling the HS2 land is criminal.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Undoubtedly, while there's a tiny part of me that ... well. Doesn't admire the shítty and Machiavellian cunning, but smirk at the nerve.

I would never have claimed that Johnson was unelected notwithstanding the problems I have with FPTP. However, Liz Truss went from levelling up to implementing a dodgy agenda from a dubiously-funded think-tank for which she had no mandate from anyone but 0.2% of the population and some Tory MPs.

I think the term "unelected" is perfectly fair here.

H. H. Asquith

Tricky one really.

The idea that there should be an election if the PM changes is instinctively an attractive one. It seems democratic.

However, the reality probably is that such a rule wouldn't actually lead to an election. it would just lead to MPs sticking with the likes of the corrupt and incompetent Johnson for far longer as the downside is so much bigger - they could lose their seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

But parties go to an election with a leader and people vote for the programme proposed by that leader (theoretically, at least). People voted in 2019 for Johnson to Get Brexit Done. They didn't vote for Truss' disaster-budget and they didn't vote for Sunak's wishy-washiness. Sunak couldn't even convince the Tory's to vote for him the first time.

It is technically a point and, as obnoxious as Johnson was, he did have an ability to charm people despite their better judgement, something that Truss and Sunak lack. I don't think either would have done as well as Johnson in a GE, even at the height of Brexitmania in 2019.

Westminster (and us) do not elect Prime Ministers. All PMs are "unelected" technically and none have a mandate which is an idea seems to have been dragged over from the US.

To me the framing of it is far too close to the recent Shinners attempts to frame coalition governments as illegitimate.

It should actually be criminal. Destroying any hope of it being returned to at a later date and after all the hassle and fighting to get it in the first place.

If anyone had their land CPOed will they get first option to buy it back or will it be bought by Rishi's wife just like everything else he has his hand in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Yes they did. That is not how parliamentary democracies work and we should absolutely stop framing them as presidential personal mandates. This is just the other side of the coin of Govt more and more ignoring Parliament and announcing policies as if their are the personal fiefdom of the PM.

This should be rejected from all angles.

Advertisement