Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crime - UK having the same problems as us apparently

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I think it is more of a case that we are having the same problems as them. There has been a problem with gangs in the UK for decades, we aren't near as bad as them, as much as people would like to think we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,531 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Lack of law and order, plus being soft on scum doesn't help.

Isn't the UK nearly out of prison spaces? Think its been advised for the judges to not send certain crimes to prison any more?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭beastfromtheEast

The good old British Bobbies always the heroes fearless and brave.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Everlong1

A poster on this site with connections to the justice system said the same is happening here now which is how we're getting the 100 plus conviction brigade.

• Advertisement

Think the Government needs to get building another few prisons soon then.

Wonder would the same thing happen here?

Are we anywhere near full capacity?

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

So, in the last year, 3 people I know were involved in violent incidents, 2 were the victims, and 1 who is very large decided not to be a victim, in any case, of those 3, only one reported the incident to the gardai, who never followed it up. Now I know my experiences are anecdotal, but I would heavily wager on the majority of victims of muggings and assaults not being bothered to contact the Gardai, as when they finally do turn up, they are as useful as a chocolate teapot. Also, do not forget this happened:

Garda members continued to cancel 999 calls despite controversy - Harris – The Irish Times

and since major reform within the Gardai is about as likely as a dry October, I would argue that there more than likely still at it. So yeah on paper everything is fine, and if you're of the myopic view that if you do not personally experience a problem then there is no problem, then everything will be fine until it isn't.

Spot on. Assorted Ministers for Justice and Garda Commissioners have been trotting out this bollo*ks for years, as an excuse for doing nothing any time crime becomes an issue. "Oh but the data shows crime is down, we're the safest country in the world, it's all in your head lads, one or two incidents shouldn't be taken out of context" etc. etc. ad nauseum.

As we all know now, the recent succession of high profile assaults on tourists and other unfortunates by mobs of savages running wild in Dublin have finally dispelled the cosy illusion of Dublin as a crime free utopia.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,052 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Why? More of the taxpayers housing these scumbags. Prison isn't a deterrent, you get to take more drugs, hang out with your mates and are looked after.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

I blame Topboy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭mikethecop

if ye think its bad now wait a few years , its gona get an awful lot worse

if you want solutions

get better politicians not more of them and get over this left right media bull

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭hymenelectra

Just build more houses and just build more prisons and just build more schools and just build more hospitals and just build more transport and just build this and just build that. That's "all", no big deal.

Not enough gardai, not enough teachers, not enough nurses, not enough doctors, not enough anything.

But whatever we do, under oath of death, should we draw attention to the reason WHY societal infrastructure is increasingly lacking: the dramatic increase in the population.

Wouldn't want to be awkward pointing out the elephant in the room. God forbid.

At least the boom in imported population has reduced the staff shortages here there and everywhere? Actually no, staff shortages have only increased as the population increased. Colour me surprised at the biggest economic con job across the nation failing to bring one iota of benefit.

By all means, everyone continue the near decade old "just need more of this, and just need more of that" bullshyt that has gotten us nowhere.

The penny is going to drop on this fiasco today or tomorrow, but its going to drop regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Rosahane

You mentioned the word "colour" ...now you're in trouble 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭hymenelectra

All that stuff is meaningless, the equivalent of airhorns being blasted to distract people from the most bleeding obvious facts.

"Redirecting" criminals away from prison back onto the streets because there is no room, the same streets with less and less gardai, just to paper over the obvious impacts of overpopulation is grade A, prime rib bullshyt. You wouldn't expect anything less.

But the reason, the why, is still there, and it's growing and growing.

I've said it before, people are not stupid. Everyone can clearly see the root causes. The problem is that people are playing ignorant. An ignorance borne of avoiding awkwardness, an awkwardness instilled by conditioning. And nothing ever solves a problem quite like ignoring it, *looks everywhere*, right?

Very awkward today to face this problem. And it will be more awkward tomorrow. And more awkward still the day after. The sooner its faced, the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Unfortunately you are right, and you will be proven right eventually.

Unfortunately it may be too late!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I can't wait to see the Tories legalise weed purely to save on the costs of building new prisons (never mind fixing the ones with RAAC) and hiring new staff.

You think we'll legalise cannabis to free up space in prisons?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

We need more long term prisons, privatise them if necessary. I think 3 strikes and you’re out is a bit harsh, but could we think about 99 strikes and you’re out? Some people need to be taken out of society permanently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭HBC08

Unfortunately we're in in a space where the elephant in the room and the sh1tshow coming down the tracks cant even be talked about,never mind trying to do something about it.

Post edited by HBC08 on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how many people go to prison for cannabis possession these days?

though i have read that an estimated 70% of people imprisoned have an addiction or substance abuse problem at admission.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,820 ✭✭✭SeanW

Yes, I would think something like "10 strikes and you're out" or 15 maybe.

How is immigration related to our current crime epidemic? I assume that's what you and HBCO8 are getting at with your coy nudge nudge references. We're all adults here man, spit it out. Yes immigration is a shi*show and is undoubtedly causing massive strain on our already overwhelmed public services. That being said, the savages rampaging around Temple Bar kicking the eyes out of tourists aren't immigrants, they're home grown scumbags who enjoy a relatively privileged lifestyle with free housing, medical cards etc. ad naseum. They're the product of our cradle to grave welfare state that panders to the workshy, coupled with the "free" legal aid scheme and the domination of the woke "hug a thug" brigade who have emasculated the Gardaí. All those conditions have existed for decades now, long, long before the world's poor discovered what a soft touch we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Most of the 3 strike laws in the US aren't for 3 random convictions, they're for 3 felonies with most having it be that 1 has to be a violent crime.

Ireland had a law for harsher sentencing for those with a prior firearm offense for a second conviction in the same, Dail clowns were all pleased with themselves for passing it going by the dail debates. And then there was legal action and apparently it's unconstitutional to legislate for harsher sentencing for a particular "class of persons" (prior offense this case) so then the clowns again going by the debates were very pleased with themselves when they undid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

There are people showing up in court with 64 convictions, and still getting to go home again that night.

My friend and I were in a taxi in the US and talking to the driver. They said they were sad because their son had been sent down aftre hitting the 3 strike rule. The stole a DVD from a shop but had been sent down for 3 years. We both said how sad we were to hear it and thats very harsh etc. But later we were talking about it. Neither of us had even been in trouble with the law, but agreed, if we had 2 strikes against us, how f**king stupid would you have to be to steal a DVD and risk prison? One strike could be bad luck. Two, very bad luck but three is negligence on a persons part. And sixty four is people not giving a shite and why should they if they are going to get a conviction and go home afterwards?

Yes I agree with you but we'll be nostalgic for the crime that's happening now with Anto,Deco and a few knacks in the next 10-15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

privatization of prisons, whether it be for existing prisons or as a way to get new prisons, would increase the prison budget to an unviable level, it just would not be a good use of tax payers money.

private operators would expect to make bumper profits which mean the prisons having to be filled up such that there would be no capacity available for future dangerous criminals.

3 or whatever strike rules would probably end up the same thinking about it.

we do need extra prison spaces but that comes with a mix of alternatives for non-violent offenders and the state building and operating the prisons which is the only cost effective way.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

You can still build infrastructure in accordance with the population growth.

Its just that our govt chooses not to do so. (as far as prisons are concerned, relative to this conversation)

Advertisement