Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Global warming

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,726 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I've no idea what people get out of constantly posting snide comments like this just because other people care about something.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Upstream

For anyone that's interested in solutions the National Organic Training Skillnet have just announced the lineup for their BioFarm 2023 conference. It should be up on their website soon

https://nots.ie/events/biofarm-2023/

This event has ran for a number of years with speakers from a diverse range of backgrounds, including Irish government bodies such as Teagasc and the EPA, NGOs like An Taisce, soil scientists such as Dr Christine Jones and Professor Helen Sheridan, vegetable growers such as Jim Cronin and Klaus Laitenberger as well as Irish farmers who are working out how to apply regenerative agriculture techniques on a variety of Irish Farms, in a real world context. It has also featured Allan Savory and some farmers who have used his ideas.

@Shoog mentioned that we're probably guilty of looking for easy answers, they're right, there mightn't be perfect solutions or easy answers, but I think it is possible to reduce fossil fuel dependency, improve biodiversity and climate resilience on working productive Irish Farms.

I'll just leave a few pictures from a presentation from 2019 by a UK based farmer called Rob Havard, who used some of Allan Savory's holistic management techniques on a farm in the UK. He was able to significantly increase the amount of biodiversity by resting paddocks and allowing time for different plant species to recover and reproduce. And as the different plant species reappeared and field covers increased, insects and birds reappeared too. He also used bale grazing to reintroduce native species of rare orchids and grasses from species rich meadows to land that had lost these. It's not a highly scientific technique, it's basically rolling out round bales of hay from species rich meadows as feed for animals, and in doing so the seeds are scattered and have an opportunity to germinate and grow, but it does produce tangible results.

If I can attempt to mediate here (or pour more fuel on the fire😂) - I don't think @thinkabouit is saying we don't need to reduce our reliance fuels, they are going to run out some time soon if we carry on the way we are. Or as @cfuserkildare was looking at the graph of historical CO2 levels, that the increased CO2 in the atmosphere is not the main problem we face. I am somewhat in agreement with that idea, but I would say exponential / hockey stick type curves / rapid unsustainable short term changes like this are a real risk.

Rather the main problem we face is desertification, largely caused by deforestation and poor agricultural practice (overgrazing and unsuitable irrigation), and since desertification causes climate change, desertification leads to more desertification, so that's what we need to fix, as a matter of urgency.

Many proponents of holistic management are probably a bit hard to pin down on the science front. But there are other regenerative farming techniques that have shown quantifiable increases in soil carbon sequestration and biodiversity improvements. But when an argument breaks out online most people on the opposing side seem to see Allan Savory as a bogey man and completely overlook the potential of regenerative agriculture practices, especially practices that include ruminant animals, to be part of any solution, so I hope we can find some common ground somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Is desertification the main problem of global warming? I don't think that follows at all.

Desertification is really bad. REALLY REALLY bad. But violent storms, sea level rise, species extinction due to rising temperatures seem like the main problem, along with the massive human migrations its introduced.

Still, holistic management sounds like a nice hypothesis to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Im thinking biodiversity loss is what lead’s to poor land & poor land lead’s to desertification.

And the symptom’s of that includes everything like flooding, fires, conflict, poverty, war, famine’s, migration etc

These are huge problems for much of the world, things we can’t imagine in Ireland thank god.

The true problem according to savoury is how humans make decision’s & our failure to address complexity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Problem is, @thinkabouit thinks increasing livestock such as cows is a necessity to enable this kind of approach. That ends up more detrimental than anything else.

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough, I meant it the other way around.

I think desertification is the main cause of the disruptions we're seeing to our climate. The vast hot deserts are changing weather patterns, leading to storms and increased extreme weather events in other areas.

It's obviously a problem in and of itself, for the reason you mention, desertificaton leads to human migration due to lack of food and resources.

There's also some speculation that broken microclimates are a way to explain some desertification. If the moisture and plants are completely gone the water can't cycle

For instance there's some research that suggests that every drop of rain contains a bacteria or spore, that caused the droplet to form. I think 80% are a single species, so if the land has lost it's bacteria through desertification it has lost it's ability to bring the rain back.

But there’s no animal’s being managed on those parts of the world holistically, there’s places in the world where only animal’s can restore ecosystem & biodiversity.

And equally there’s place’s that have too many animal’s on the land.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

Maybe we should be stopping the destruction of forest and scrubland,

Yeh know, like the areas being torn up and housing estates built on them?

Many of which were only permitted due to the COVID Emergency Housing program?

Many of which had previously been refused planning permission?

You coming at this from a different angle after spamming the thread with claims that humans aren't responsible for climate change?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

I didn't spam this thread,

I started this thread!!!

Secondly, the historical record shows that warming and cooling cycles have been ongoing since long before the advent of humans!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

We'll all be long dead in this country soon enough with the amount of slurry being spread and in all weather conditions entering the water tables.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭Shoog

I always said it a part of any solution. What I have objected to is the proposition that it is the solution. This has been explicitly said here and it brings the whole idea into disrepute.

Overselling a solution whilst not acknowledging both the complexity of the problem and it solutions is magic bullet thinking and unhelpful.

Dessertidication is a symptom not a cause.

The vast majority of the planet is water, the land use patterns have small effects compared to the thermal inertia of the oceans.

Biodiversity loss is the primary crisis, and one which has to be dealt with in parallel to fossil fuel caused climate change. If we do not address the fossil fuel driven climate crisis we will not solve the biodiversity crisis since it is one of the primary causes of habitat disruption.

Take for example the migration of fish species to more northern latitudes following sea warming which is causing the collapse of sea bird colony's across the planet.

Focusing on one issue whilst blanking yourself to the multiple other issues is counterproductive and what has happened within this thread.

Can't disagree though what I've googled and read about the research here isn't that conclusive. Still, bringing species back, especially the 'cryptic' things like bacteria and bugs, is good in my book.

It's a loop: CO2 gets into the atmosphere. Temps go up. Desertification worsens, storms due to acute dryness and perhaps loss of bacteria worsen. Storms (lightening) cause more wildfire. Fewer trees sequester CO2. CO2 gets into the atmosphere. Repeat.

Trouble is, CO2 is going up for all kinds of reasons, but the one thing I keep coming back to, is more people eating means more CO2.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Seamus4life

One single Pinatubo+ volcano will knock the global temps back more than any agreed global treaty lads. I'm more worried about the trillion dollar industries of NGOs that will try to manipulate the facts to stay alive when this does happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

We know where most of the additional C02 is coming from in our atmosphere. It's from fossil fuels. We can measure this using Carbon 14. https://yaleclimateconnections.org/2018/11/isotopes-point-to-the-culprit-behind-climate-change/

The primary solution needs to be 'stop burning fossil fuels'

Of course we cant do this immediately or we'd all starve and end up chopping down every last tree for fuel, so the primary activity needs to be to build the infrastructure that allows us to stop burning Fossil fuels as quickly as we can, and then use the infrastructure to allow us to stop burning oil gas and coal.

Being quite resourceful as a species, we can do more than one thing at once, so we should simultaneously spent resources on improving adaptability, and this involves increasing biodiversity, rewetting drained land, rewilding uplands(not just tree plantations) and using more sustainable agricultural techniques as much as we can, creating green buffers to protect our towns and cities from the consequences of climate change, natural flood plains, forests create micro climates that cool the area and improve soil health and clean water courses...

Not gonna be easy to balance competing interests

Maybe. Maybe for a short time. Or maybe not - on a hotter planet, volcanic eruptions might have less effect. This is being investigated and modelled, so I wouldn't jump to any conclusions yet.

Volcanos are short one off blips on the carbon concentration graph. Their effects last a few years at most. The main point is that volcanos have been constant so cannot account current climate changes

Can’t be any doubt about it that livestock are essential to keep land healthy in brittle environments.

My simple observation earlier where I said that if the science is right, & keeping animal’s off land, then Arizona, Australia, Spain Portugal etc (using them as examples )should all be green & bio diversity thriving. But it’s not.

The only thing working i can see, is holistically managed livestock to restore biodiversity.

• Advertisement

All of those areas have serious issues with feral stock.

The Sahara was not created by overgrazing - it was created by regional climate change. Your analysis is shallow.

I disagree

But the bottom line is this, agriculture is having an absolutely enormous effect on climate change & biodiversity loss

If agriculture isnt right economically, socially & environmentally then we’re going to continue living in a chaotic world and were going to to bring extinction.

Holistic management is the only thing i find that can bring about the changes.

take a drive around the country side today & i promise you’ll see over grazed fields, cattle not bunched & moving, hedgerows with all there flower & berries cut, river’s brown with silt & slurry.

Confusing the issues of biodiversity loss and climate change is unhelpful. Your concerns about biodiversity loss are well founded, but they are not the primary cause of climate change.

If you want to discuss the biodiversity crisis then please start your own thread on it. It's an interesting and important discussion to have but a distraction in a thread focused on climate change.

your wrong.

Biodiversity loss is a huge part of climate change, it started even before we got fossil fuel’s.

To think they are different issues is like saying smoking 40 cigarette’s a day isnt going to cause you cancer & a pile of other problem’s!

Biodiversity loss is not the main cause of climate change - repeat it all you like but no one here is biting.

It absolutely is the main cause, and its caused by human management.

And you can't produce an ounce of research to prove this claim. It's just gonna be another Savory institute video.

There’s plenty evidence out there you’ll just have to go and get educated about it yer selves.

• Advertisement

Me & Upstream have schooled ye. It’s you guy’s that destroyed it.

Ye have offered nothing to it really.

Advertisement