Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N8/N25/N40 - Dunkettle Interchange [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭niloc1951

"also the fact hgv's "shouldn't" be in the right lane"

AFAIK, that rule only applies if there are three or more lanes, and HGV's must confine themselves to lanes 1 & 2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

@niloc1951 your photograph illustrates a problem perfectly - the direction signs are too high, way above eye level, and are partially obscured by the electronic signs below and in front of them on the gantry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

You must be a truck driver who ignores the law then, there are a lot of them about and as usual the Gardaí do nothing. However, the law does not apply for areas of 80Kmh or less, which may well mean that they do not apply at this junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Norteño

Actually, he is factually correct regarding lanes.

You must be one of those people who shouts at traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

The actual rules of the road that apply in this country are easily found on rsa.ie. So far, nobody has been correct...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

You have a point. I'll revise my statement, as only one road at this intersection is under motorway regulations despite its expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭cantalach

Agreed. What kills me is that they are getting it right with some of the signs and very wrong with others - there is no consistency at all. The sign in the location you’re referring to should be of a *similar* design to the one below (heavily zoomed so bad quality). It should have Waterford N25 across the full width of two lanes at the top and then Dublin M8 across only the width of the right hand st the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Norteño

I have been correct in regards to the north. And the rest of the UK.

When the Dunkettle interchange is moved to Lisburn, the rules of the road that apply in Northern Ireland will become relevant.

I know this is a bit off-topic, so apologies. The RSA Rules of the road reads:

You must not use the lane nearest the central median, that is, the outside lane (Lane 2 or Lane 3, depending on the number of lanes), if you are driving: a goods vehicle with a maximum authorised mass of more than 3,500 kilograms, such as a lorry or heavy goods vehicle; a vehicle towing a trailer, horsebox or caravan; or a single or double deck bus or coach that is designed for carrying standing passengers.

The above, in respect of two lanes, is another bit of half-arsed BS legislation. Consider this:

A goods vehicle with a maximum authorised mass of more than 3,500 kilograms, such as a lorry or heavy goods vehicle is entitled to travel at 90 km/h on motorways here in Ireland. Vehicles traveling at, say 65km/h, are also entitled to use the same 2-lane motorways.

Flowing from the above, a HGV, coming upon a vehicle traveling at 65km/h (for example, a bus or coach that is designed to carry standing passengers and which is subject to a speed limit of 65km/h on ALL roads or perhaps a mobile crane or other vehicle with a restricted speed capability) on a two-lane motorway or dual carriageway is required to remain behind the slower vehicle until the motorway or dual carriageway reverts to a single-carriageway road. On the 220km journey, using the M7 & M8, between Naas and Dunkettle, the time added time for that journey would be 56 minutes. Or put another way, 3 hours 23 minutes instead of 2 hours 27 minutes. Add that to the rules that cover drivers’ hours, breaks, and rest periods and productivity goes out the window while added costs come in.

Here's the formula https://valeur.uk/time-to-drive/time-to-drive-calculator.html

Post edited by niloc1951 on

• Advertisement

If you read on, you'll see a bit about "... except when obstructed", which would apply to your example.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Incidentally, from dunkettle to carrigtohil is a dual carriageway way with a 120 kph speed limit ( in places) ,and your lorry driver can be in whatever lane he likes ..

( i think , i dont drive a hgv so open to being wrong )

Actually every main road off the dunkettle except the m8 is a dual carriageway, n40 , and the n25 eastbound and n25 westbound

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

So, as said, it's a nonsensical regulation, it could be argued that an HGV traveling at 90km/h coming upon another vehicle traveling at 85 km/h is being obstructed by the slower vehicle and may overtake same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

All main roads off Dunkettle are national roads. The M8 technically doesn’t begin until 400m north of the Dunkettle Interchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Well, yes and no. Back in the day the M8 south HAD to end where the old Glanmire slip came in. Northbound it started at the old Dunkettle Interchange Roundabout.

The guys on Openstreetmap are big nerds - they have it labelled correctly. Maybe not whats correct legally, but what should be correct given routes that are inescapable etc and therefore HAVE to be motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

So the M8 should start now at the slip just North of the tunnel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭yagan

Anyone any idea when all the n25 westbound lanes will be open?

The last few times I used it two lanes were being squeezed into one for no obvious reason. It looks like all that's missing is road markings.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,380 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

End of next week for 2 lanes as far as the now signalised roundabout, with 2 lanes as far as flyover opening this week

Just spent 10 minutes watching the feed again this afternoon.

During the ten minutes, I saw six or seven cars making a last-minute dive across from the left lane to access the M8. One nearly cut the nose off a car in the right lane which was heading straight on for the N25 and another actually came to a stop in the left lane, holding up following traffic, while waiting for a safe gap in the traffic in the right lane to make the maneuver.

Having driven eastbound on the N40 I can well understand the confusion arising from the aforementioned signage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭chooseusername

• Advertisement

Probably taking their cue from the stupid signs or from a stupid person submitting the wrong info to Google, Garmin, TomTom, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭yagan

Thanks for that, I wasn't finding any timelines googling.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,380 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Would be in their latest newsletter. I was actually going to ask about ithe last week, had thought they were due earlier. But at least its nearly there now, final links by year end hopefully (and it's main one I'd be using)

I think their timelines are getting a bit shot by the weather at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

I'll wear the big nerd badge with great pride, thanks for that! Also relevant here (though it would take me too long to find a link to this) is the rules in the Traffic Signs Manual about the placement of the start and end of motorway signs. From memory, it goes along the following lines:

Start of restrictions sign: to be placed at the point beyond which a driver would be committed to entering the motorway. There is specific mention of the fact that this may mean placing the sign at a point that is before the point of commencement of the motorway order. I'll note that a lot of the on-ramps on the network do not apply this placement correctly, placing the sign either half way or occasionally all the way down the ramp.

End of restrictions sign: to be placed at the point beyond which motorway restrictions cease to apply. The wording here didn't reiterate the distinction between this and the extent of the motorway order, but it was framed in terms of how you want traffic to behave, not in terms of legal classification.

I may have mapped some minor roads and some forests, so I am a Big Nerd too!

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

A lot of work to do yet for the 3 lanes as far as the flyover to be fully opened by the end of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭cantalach

Not just a case of painting the line at the central median, getting rid of the cones, and (hopefully) turning on the lights?

https://media.evercam.io/v1/cameras/dunke-bnivp/thumbnail

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

I drove that stretch today and there's no real barrier between the road and the sloped hill. I was expecting some sort of pavement or fencing or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Is there a good website to check traffic volumes ? The sheer number of cars traveling between Midleton and Dunkettle in the morning these days is bananas. 7am is already bumper to bumper barely managing 80kmh.

Advertisement