Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2023 RWC Buildup, Squads, Fixtures 'etc'

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Augme

The great thing is those 6 nations games will nearly always sell out regardless. France have only won one 6 nations since 2010, they aren't bankrupt because of that. It's not a tournament where teams take a win or bust approach to. For England, France and even Wales they would view it as a stepping stone towards a tilt at a world cup.

If you found last week's Ireland vs NZ and France vs SA games boring and not edge ofnyour seat stuff then that fair enough, your entitled to your opinion but I don't know if many other rugby fans would agree with you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The RC in RWC years is a bit of an oddity I will grant you. That is both a benefit to the SH teams in general and allows for this kind of thing as it is being treated very specifically as a warm up.

That being said, they sent their first team ahead to NZ to prep and lost handsomely anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,614 ✭✭✭✭walshb

There will be an awful deflated feel tonight watching NZ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Be prepared!

It was bad post 2015. Painfully bad post 2019 & It is going to be twice as BAD for the next 4 years.

RWC draw wont be made in DEC 2024

1.Rankings v Squad Depth argument for every game until the draw

RWC draw prob DEC 2025

2.Momentum v Squad Depth argument for every game until the RWC

Ultimately what will happen is that Farrell will pick his strongest available XV for every single game for the next 4 years

(excl Italy & NOV INT v Fiji/Georgia/Japan)

This time, this time, more than the previous 3 WC Cycles there is a valid point

3.Halfbacks

Its not clear who is going to be the starting halfbacks in RWC 2027.

It's not clear who will be the starting anything in 2027!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭techdiver

I didn't say all the games were boring. Christ, I was screaming at both games last weekend. I'm talking about the inevitable shakeup at the end of it all which essentially is groundhog day. The only NH team to consistently show up at world cups is England. I know they got an armchair ride this time but time and time again they perform above themselves to get to finals.

Remember this is all opinion. I believe one thing, you believe another. We're not going to change each others minds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,817 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Yeh a bit. But it will be essential viewing for me. Want to see what ARG would have posed if we had been there.

With respect saying that is bit dismissive of a good reason why it will be a major talking point both here and everywhere.

I think most of us knew beyond doubt who the halfbacks were going to be Post RWC ’11 and RWC ’15 – 8 years

Murray/Sexton for ALL of ‘15 & ‘19 cycles...And they weren't retiring post RWC '19

& then Farrell started them 6N '20 until Park Nov ‘20/6N '21

Halfbacks are the most important positions

15,14,13,8,4,2 & 1 All have a clear front runner for 2027.

They all have a clear front runner but the clear front runner for 2, for example, was about a year away from making his professional debut in the aftermath of the 2019 world cup.

Very, very few people thought Sexton would be the fly half in 2023 post 2019 also.

It will (potentially) be a big debate, but it might also be blindingly obvious in a couple years. For sure the halfbacks will be different from this world cup though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,718 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Your last statement is completely ridiculous and if you truly believe it you're a worse rugby fan than anyone you give out about. It essentially implies international rugby is pointless apart from a world cup every 4 years - you must truly love the sport alright.

• Advertisement

We all know full well about Sheehan and Sexton in fairness.

A major setback has happened in Irish rugby and a major shift is upon the team - esp. at outhalf.

If you think that will 'potentially' be a big debate...ok, but be prepared is all I was saying!

It will be THE major topic of debate and I think there is a validity to it this time, particularly around the halfbacks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Augme

It doesn't essentially imply international rugby is pointless. It simply implies that the rugby world cup is the absolute pinnacle of rugby and the most important competition in world rugby. Despite many Irish fans trying to pretend the 6 nations is. 😂

The club scene is massive in France and England and their respective top flight leagues are viewed as being extremely important. I think that impacts the attitude of players regarding the 6 nations. Also, the level of competition in the 6 nations isn't exactly high. Its a 5 match competition and one of the sides is not far of being awful and Scotland haven't won a 6 nations in 24 years. Generally, at least one of the other 3 teams left will be fairly average as well. Its an essential tournament from a revenue generating point of view though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

• Subscribers Posts: 41,807 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

at least they're imaginative with their jerseys..... 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭hold my beer

NZ and SA will blow them away in the semis. Looking forward to the final, should be a cracker. Still absolutely gutted we got pipped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,817 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Wonder how many Irish fans are there tonight. ‘Strange atmosphere’ according to Lenihan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

This is a tough watch ,really feel we should of been there, ahwell here's to a good game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭mcburns07

The Haka is so boring, sick of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,614 ✭✭✭✭walshb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭davepatr07

Wouldn't it be a big twist and drama if the AB's fell apart and the Argies miraciously win this by a fingernail...

Here we go 80 mins of Hugh Cahill nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,870 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Jesus last weeks loss has become even worse now watching the anthems etc

Cant wait for the tournament too end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

What a miserable post. Why even worse now? Why do you want tournament to end so much more now?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Kerry jersey in the crowd

Good start for Argentina

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭TheRona

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Argentina have done something we couldn't, take the lead vs New Zealand

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

Seems fairly quiet compared to our games or the France games.

I know it's been done to death, but WR really screwed everyone with the draw. Teams like us that would have likely gone further with a more favourable draw, and the audience too, cause these semi finals feel much lesser as a spectacle than the QFs on our side of the draw.

It's very much devalued the tournament imo.

• Advertisement

Oh right so switch channel for a few mins while they dance around like idiots? Thanks for the tip.

Advertisement