Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

CONNACHT RUGBY MATCHDAY 23 VS OSPREYS

15:00, Saturday 21st October 2023 @ The Sportsground

15. Andrew Smith *

14. Diarmuid Kilgallen (16)

13. Tom Farrell (99)

12. Cathal Forde (13)

11. Byron Ralston (15)

10. JJ Hanrahan *

9. Caolin Blade (170) (C)

1. Denis Buckley (228)

2. Dylan Tierney-Martin (24)

3. Jack Aungier 50)

4. Oisín Dowling (44)

5. Joe Joyce *

6. Cian Prendergast (47)

7. Shamus Hurley-Langton (20)

8. Jarrad Butler (114)

16. Tadgh McElroy *

17. Peter Dooley (18)

18. Dominic Robertson-McCoy (79)

19. Niall Murray (56)

20. Seán O’Brien *

21. Colm Reilly (17)

22. Jack Carty (195)

23. Liam McNamara *

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

It's a really interesting team selection. Not what most would have expected but to be honest I find it a very exciting selection. If it works it really could be a sign of what is to come for the rest of the year. I simply like this a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

Oliver and Porch miss out throughout injury.

Hanrahan picked based on performances in training

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Interesting that. Thought JJ would be putting pressure on Jack this year but didn’t expect it so soon. Presume it’s similarly why Dowling is ahead of Murray.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Strand1970

Good for Jack overall to know he has to perform or he will be on the bench. Competion focuses the mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

No Boyle! He's in danger of falling off a cliff. Very strange. He was playing great a couple of years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

Good to see Thornbury starting for blackrock this weekend

Andy Friend said a while back that Thornbury injury profile suggested maybe an early retirement.

Did he? I must have missed that. That’s actually pretty bad to be saying publicly. I can see where he’s coming from

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Interesting team, I'd echo the sentiment expressed by others that it's good to see Jack under pressure from JJ, think it can only do good. At a squad level, it shuts a door for Tom Daly, a matter myself and @ElisaAtWar have discussed in the past, and also makes life harder for Hawkshaw.

DH was one of the names I was surprised not to see on the sheet, but I hope to see more of him this season, along with Shayne Bolton, Shane Jennings, Sam Illo and Darragh Murray. From the pups I'm looking forward to Mathew Devine entering the action and curious about Chay Mullins and Josh O'Connor, both of who have their fans.

Last season Connacht surpassed my expectations on almost every count, it was a great season, even though I felt we lost a knockout game against the Stormers that was there for the taking. But we broke through on the mental strength front and even when behind didn't let the head drop. I'm psyched to see what contribution Scott Fardy will make, very excited for the back five players to be learning from a such a hardy and intelligent player. Leinster will be gunning for silverware this year, Munster are back in the saddle, so it's going to be tough, but we should be looking to finish in the top eight.

Looking forward to seeing Bundee back in Sportsground, what a world cup he had, a genuine Connacht legend. And with Mack and Finlay to enjoy as well - we're lucky.

And so many thanks to Andy Friend for leaving us in rude health.

I doubt we will see Mullins before the Olympics. He seems to be on the 7s path atm. Agree with the other young lads you’ve named there. Would also add McCormack as another I’d like to see more off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Great touch from Hansen to be in attendance

JJ motoring well so far

• Registered Users Posts: 11,430 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Good to see Connacht playing a bit more pragmatic and taking points to get the scoreboard moving. Excellent start

What an introduction for Joe Joyce. A penalty winning monster hit.

Prendergast must have 10 big tackles made already. He's everywhere.

Lovely try

Tom Farrell. Gary Ringrose part II

• Registered Users Posts: 11,430 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Really impressive from connacht so far. Poor pass there but solid basics mostly and not overplaying it

Two trys absolutely butchered but encouraging stuff considering the starting 15.

• Advertisement

A poor 5 minutes of finishing there in the 22 but the opportunities are coming. Need a bit more calm and precision but I wouldn't worry just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Blackheath

I think Forde is a decent player

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Very impressive from Connacht so far. Just need a bit more patiences and precision in finishing opportunities.

Blade in for a 2nd just as I write that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭OldRio

This is delightful.

Forde impressing so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Blackheath

Joe Joyce has settled in well

Bladey has the best positioning of any scrumhalf in the country. Never seen a SH in the right place so often.

Blade in for a hat trick 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭OldRio

A hat trick. Wow. In 34 mins

• Advertisement

Bundee you have a job on your hands to getting a starting position 😀. Forde and Farrell have been incredible. Defensively Connacht has been impressive also other than that try for Ospreys.

The new blood I felt was only going to be positive and so far it seems that way. I am liking what I am seeing a lot. Get on Connacht

Advertisement