Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2023 RWC Buildup, Squads, Fixtures 'etc'

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,139 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Hugely embarrassing for the organisers that it was so one sided. I'd say TV ratings were through the floor for a WC semi final....nearly zero interest in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,711 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

The punditry on RTE is poor, Virgin win that match for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

SA will win it, but they wont be going hundred percent full throttle. They have one day less rest than NZ and once they get the job done V england, ie see them off comfortably enough, taking it as easy as they can, while doing enough to get into the final, will be priority number one. not obliterating england, because they could... they would probably go for that if it were a final. But SA could win this game, win the battle but lose the war to NZ if they dont go in with a relatively full tank for the final

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

What an absolutely mince game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,926 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I wonder where all those people who called this New Zealand team the worst in their history, as a stick to beat Ireland with, are now?

Four consecutive Rugby Championships, that's tied for most ever in the competition, and destroyed Italy and Argentina on their way to the final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,926 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Watching a team play that standard of rugby is always enjoyable to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,139 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Not for the casual viewer - it's shockingly bad for the tournament that a supposed 'world cup semi final' could be so uncompetitive (having looked uncompetitive before it even kicked off).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,808 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I wish Ireland could have another crack at NZ next week.

I really hope we get them next November in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

That was Angus Gardner's first knock out game at a world cup. It will probably be his last.

An England loss and it will be Barnes or Pearce.

• Administrators Posts: 54,086 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

You thought that match was evidence that NZ are actually excellent? Odd take.

Tonight proved nothing more than NZ playing in 3rd gear can demolish a piss poor Argentina team. Ireland would have demolished Argentina as well. I'd fancy Scotland's chances too.

• Advertisement

It was a fairly low standard of rugby. The match had no real intensity to it. Some of the tries were laughable.

NZ were flinging the ball about not because they are incredible, but because Argentina offered absolutely nothing. They were wide open in defence. They were totally devoid of ideas in attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭ersatz

I assume its tongue in cheek but no way this is poor NZ team. They had a run of poor results but, other than the Irish series, they've delivered in competition when it mattered. They had a so so tour of Europe but otherwise this team is up there with most NZ teams of the past.

I actually think one of the biggest things I've learnt tonight is Wales are way worse than I thought they were, to have lost to that Argentina team. Imagine sitting at home watching that if you're Welsh, properly depressing.

This NZ team is nothing like their 2015 team for example. It probably is one of their weaker squads in a while, but it's not weak.

But crucially, this NZ team, while they are not at the dizzying heights of previous sides, still have the know-how of how to get the job done. They are not phased by QFs or SFs or whatever, they can take the pressure.

This makes a huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭magic17

Forgot that was on tonight. Looks like I didn't miss anything. Tomorrow should be a bit more of a contest even if South Africa should win comfortably in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Hardly surprising given there's currently only 4 decent countries in the entire world at the moment in this sport. Unfortunate that 3 years ago there were more 'decent' countries that have since fallen off a cliff.

Why can FIFA do their world cup draws within a year of a tournament but world rugby needs 3 years for countries to prepare for their host city? What a piss poor excuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Where we'd beat them in a game that is of no real consequence , the Irish team will be celebrated as heroes, but then struggle at the world cup in 2027.

Meh, a November game wouldn't take the edge off for me.

The only way to right the wrongs of Saturday night is to beat them in a WC game. Beating them in some Autumn game or some summer series match is not the same.

I really hope we get to meet again in 2027.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

The Pumas did not belong in a semi. Absolute gash side. A joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,544 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Such a depressing evening watching this. Full credit to an excellent NZ, they played some lovely rugby.

Will be haunted by Barrett's thigh for years.

Post edited by AbusesToilets on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,808 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Of course it wouldn't take the edge of, but I still want a crack at them as soon as possible, but you're right the only way to get last week properly out of the system is to beat them in 2027 at the WC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,826 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I shouldn’t be saying it but that was a depressing semi final.

A NZ team not even in 2nd gear winning at a canter.

World Rugby Inc is the problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Argentina a joke. Pathetic match. How is that shyte going to attract supporters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭ersatz

Yeah, I wouldn't put them on the same level as 2015 but I believe that team to be major high achievers even by AB standards, and that team had almost a decade of consistently high standards. Hard act to follow. But this team are no mugs while almost everyone else in the comp bar ourselves SA and France are muck. Maybe its always the way but this WC really does show a major gulf between the top few teams and everyone else. Assuming England are handily dispatched tomorrow that's them, Wales and Australia who all are normally competitive who didn't show up this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,186 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

there's a lot to be said for the 'old fashioned' fast winger. i cant remember the last time we had one. possibly hickie?

and when i say fast, i mean blistering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,826 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Should be a showcase and wasn’t. I fear tomorrow might be the same. England have very few options to make a game of it and I genuinely hope they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭McFly85

We’ve already seen the semi finals last week. Didn’t bother watching tonight and I expect tomorrow to be another blowout.

It’s a great shame for Ireland that the best team they ever sent to a WC was subject to such a lopsided draw.

Hopefully WR learn their lesson for 2027. There is zero reason to do the draw before the 2026 autumn internationals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Shehal

Well the 2015 side for me is the greatest side of all time. You dont have to be at the same level as 2015 to be a great team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

They would beat us again next week.

But they might not in November when we are at our most dangerous

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

They would beat us again next week.

Ah yes, play the game ten times and they would probably choose to have 10 one score wins defending under the posts in the 82nd minute.

Advertisement