Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby world cup post mortem

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,930 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Every QF we played the ball bounced wrong for us.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Not sure how you got that from my post. I never said they would come last or have empty stadiums.

The tournament which keeps the light on and rugby afloat is the 6 nations so naturally enough that is the competition we should focus on. As I said if NZ and SA got into the 6 nations they would focus on it as well.

Not really

2011 - Wales totally out coached Ireland and won comfortably

2015 - team had too many injuries to crucial players

2019 - got hammered, game was over after 10 mins and was the end of a slow death of the team which had started in Feb that year

2023 -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,098 ✭✭✭Augme

No, but you implied it when you said we viewed keeping Irish rugby alive as to the reason we focus on the 6 nations. As if focusing on a world cup would suddenly be the death of Irish rugby.

Also, given England, France and Wales don't focus on the 6 nations above world cups I don't know why you think SA and NZ would be different. They treat it the exact same way.

There's a reason the only the only team who dont prioritise the WC are the team who've never been beyond a quarter final.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Also, given England, France and Wales don't focus on the 6 nations above world cups

What are you basing this on? The English were maniacal about achieving the GS before their WC win. France gave this years 6N their absolute all. You are completely inventing this narrative of Ireland being the only team that cares about the 6N.

• Advertisement

I said they don't focus on 6 nations above world cups. This is what Dupont said after winning the grand slam last year.

"We have the World Cup in mind, but first we will all enjoy the end of the Tournament together. We will focus on the World Cup afterwards.” 

Ireland said the exact same thing after the GS this year and the GS in 2018.

Eddie Jones got sacked because of poor results in 6 nations and the press turned on him because he belittled the 6 nations

France went all out to win this year, all teams make it a priority and SA are bending over backwards to get into the 6 nations.

Ireland said 2 years they had a focus on winning the World Cup and it was a priority. Both Farrell and Sexton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

What's your point? Ireland have won numerous 6 nations. It hasn't helped them with the World Cup. They are two different competitions. You can have a bad week and still win the 6 nations. But have a bad week at the world cup and you are out or on the back foot.

England and Wales may take the 6 nations seriously but equally have a solid record at world cups.

Personally I think the 4 days celebrating the 6 nations was a bit ott.

But have a bad week at the world cup and you are out or on the back foot.

The make-up of the semi-finalists would rather tend to argue against that.

Ireland treat the 6N no differently to any other team. You should probably just accept that and stop inventing stories for Ireland's difficulties in the World Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Ironically, I remember Rob Kearney getting criticised for saying as much after the 2018 GS.

Have a bad week and you are not out of WC. As we can see England are the only team who haven't lost a game.

England have won 1 World Cup, that's it between all NH teams. Hardly qualify as England and Wales having a solid record IMO. Winning the competition would provide a solid record.

My point, is the 6 nations is Ireland rugby most important competition, it keep rugby alive in ireland and without it the IRFU would go bust. The World Cup is not critical, yes it is a goal to win it as the team said 2 years ago but trying to win it does not mean we should stop our focus on the 6 nations. Like all the other teams in the 6 nations, plus as I said if the SA team gets in wait till you see what they focus on

I doubt the player care what you think about them celebrating a Grand Slam to be honest. Have you ever achieved anything close to it? personally I haven't so I am not going to comment on how the players should/shouldn't celebrate the achievement

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

This is the first time in my opinion we have had a team capable and good enough to win the world Cup. Our history in the competition is largely irrelevant as all I can look is decent sides but a little behind the best in the world at the time hence the lack of progression. I had hope this time of winning the world Cup but have never had genuinely felt we had a chance before. It was always going to be tricky having to beat in 2023 SA then France or NZ and then probably SA again.

If you are going to analyse why we lost, it wasn't mental or because we are like 'Mayo' but in the final analysis comes down to probably just not quite getting our set piece humming be that scrum or lineout. Both struggled against SA and NZ and no doubt would have been an issue in a final. I can't be sure exactly what we could have done to fix this area but we have to look at our forwards and question have we got the quality and have we got right coaching. I think in a review you have to look at the decision to hand Paul O'Connell that job with let's face it a very basic coaching CV with zero proof that he is a good coach bar his legendary status as a player. Was it the problem perhaps or maybe we just don't have enough quality in our forwards. Possibly a bit of both. For me though if I had to stake the failure on one thing its probably picking a forwards coach on his reputation as a player rather than proven coaching ability but honestly we will never 100% know.

Our lineout was a mess and with Paulie it was transformed into one of the best in the World. We had huge issues in both the SA game and the NZ game with teams closing the gap. It was interesting to listen to James Tracy on OTB he is very good at reviewing the games.

I do agree Paulie maybe lacked some experience and when it started to go wrong he didn't seem to be able to correct. It wasn't a player issue either as different hookers/second row etc was rotated and we still had problems.

So in reality it was an issue with the gap and also an issue with the lineout itself malfunctioning after a sustained period of been good.

Maybe, like NZ done with Joe and SA have done previously with Eddie Jones, Ireland could look at a consultant type role for the 12 months of the World Cup to give a different perspective if we have a 4 year cycle on the coaching ticket. Certainly in 2019 that would have helped.

I do agree this time I felt we had a team which could win it, previous World Cup I was hoping for teams to get knocked out or getting an England type draw to get anywhere. Maybe 2011 was the only other one I felt we could win because that was an incredible team

In terms of quality of players, we have stayed at number 1 the longest for any NH team, we have beaten every team in a record run, SA and NZ a few times in that run. We have provinces which are close to the top in Europe. We have good players. We also have a U20 team just after losing a WC final so we have good players coming as well. Tweaks is what we need.

People forget our lineout was really poor when POC was initially appointed too, and he completely transformed it then.

There are definite questions to answer, but given what he’s done since his appointment, I also think he deserves the opportunity to turn it around.

Our lineout success and performance in the 6 nations if I remember correctly was supported heavily by some outstanding work from James Ryan especially stealing opponent ball. Maybe his quality papered over a few cracks in our coaching and quality.

Nothing against Paul but the time to learn on the job isn't a world cup. Not his fault by the way but why was he appointed with such a limited coaching CV. That I suppose is really the question and something that should be raised in a review.

He was appointed in Jan 2021. Two and half, nearly 3 years before the RWC.

Yes get that but if you look at his CV when appointed it was extremely limited with no evidence of coaching track record and then we get found out at the very highest level with a struggling set piece.

Anyway for me it's a significant question and it really comes down did we let Paul's quality as a player cloud judgement on coaching quality. Forwards coaching is staggeringly technical and something that needs years of experience. Perhaps he could have done no better and perhaps down to player quality in the end but in the key matches I saw a better coached and peforming set of forwards in both the SA and NZ games in the set piece. Our brilliance in other areas kept us in both games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,345 ✭✭✭✭phog

Like you, I don't know what was the issue with our lineout but to say POC was learning during a RWC is simply incorrect.

He was appointed in January 2021, we saw a huge improvement on our lineouts immediately after his appointment. He's had three 6Ns campaigns as coach with Ireland

Whatever our lineout woes are it's not that the guy was learning on the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,364 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

If you are going to analyse why we lost, it wasn't mental or because we are like 'Mayo

Yes it wasn't "because we are like Mayo" because they are completely different sports and situations.

But what is like Mayo is this thread a week after a loss.

Like Mayo threads a week after an All Ireland people start bending their minds to suggest that losing was not that big a deal, and that winning the competition or game you have failed to win so many times was not the be all and end all, and that the journey or some other malarkey in between was more important.

Well as a Mayo person I think many Irish rugby fans would agree with me when I say I don't care anymore about the journey or the other malarkey in between, I'd like to win for a change to see what the winning is actually like.

if you look at his CV when appointed it was extremely limited with no evidence of coaching track record and then we get found out at the very highest level with a struggling set piece.

He was appointed, and then we get found out? That’s just not true.

We had 2 seasons or more of a quality, functioning lineout, significantly better than before he started, between him being appointed and the RWC.

That’s part of the picture of any review.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,700 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Kinsella does a good overview of what was going on in the lineouts.

Fair enough points and as a matter of interest does anyone have our lineout stats from the last three 6 nations. Honestly I don't remember it being rock solid to the point of being entirely comfortable but stand to be corrected !!

But our set piece did struggle and I have no doubt if we had even achieved parity at the set piece v NZ we would have won. That is something in our control largely.

I noticed this was raised in the media this week, can't remember who said it, but more or less why didn't anyone question the coaching and was Paulie been given a pass because of the player he was.

Honestly we are just repeating ourselves. Truth is Ireland's players and coach's have made them into one of the most consistent teams in the World, with a long winning streak against the top teams in the World. One loss v NZ, which was a close loss and either team could have won, does not change that. So calling into question the quality of the players and of the coach's just seems like a total over reaction. if they managed to get ireland to the top and kept them they have to be doing something right

Questionable if SA and NZ had better coached forward, are you basing that on the lineout alone?

Good example of what NZ did, they had one second row lifting another second row. Something ROG discussed last year that La Rochelle had looked at doing and DOC had come up.

Who's Ireland? Sexton had the following to say after winning the 6 nations this year.

"Honestly, I couldn't make it up. It's like living in a dream - I'm actually worried I'm going to wake up in the morning. It's the best tournament you can play in [the Six Nations]".

There's certainly no doubt in Sextons mind that the 6 nations is the pinnacle.

I've absolutely no idea why you think SA would view the 6 nations as more important than a World cup.

• Advertisement

There's certainly no doubt in Sextons mind that the 6 nations is the pinnacle.

I think you’re reading way too much into a solitary quote.

Advertisement