Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2023 RWC Buildup, Squads, Fixtures 'etc'

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

"There is zero reason to do the draw before the 2026 autumn internationals"

In fairness there are lots of good reasons to do an early draw - it helps with both selling international packages and with selling tickets to locals. It allows the organisers flexibility on pricing strategies - whilst prices never officially change, what does happen is that tickets can change category. The game that is selling well you shift tickets up a category - the game selling slowly you can move tickets down a category.

Whether these financial reasons trump the sporting equality case for having the draw as late as possible is the debate. Whilst I hate the early draw I think it's folly to ignore that there are valid reasons for it.

I'd be pleasantly surprised if its done as late as 2026 Autumn Internationals which would mean early December 2026. Realistically by late summer 2026 people are planning their 2027 holidays. Rugby really wants people to be focussing on organising trips to Australia at that stage, not booking 2 weeks in California, Marbella or where-ever. Having a full schedule of fixtures is essential to organise trips.

I'd reckon after the 2025 AIs or at the latest after the 2026 6Ns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,826 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

But surely your team would be close enough to their final seeding. If you were considering going, you'd be doing it without waiting for the specifics of the draw?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Shehal

That's not a good enough reason to do the draw before 2026 though. All those issues can be sorted without doing the draw so early. This only is allowed happen when you have an old fart like Bill Beaumont as the president of World Rugby.

Imagine the amount of fans who will want to buy packages for the FIFA World Cup in USA/CANADA/MEXICO in 2026, in some cases fans wont even know what country their team will play their matches in...do you think that will convince FIFA to do the draw this year? No because that isnt their problem.

I agree dedicated hard-core fans will go regardless. I guess I'm looking at it from the point of view of a casual take-it-or-leave it fan like myself. i.e. if we have a Sydney-Melbourne double 8 days apart and one of the fixtures is attractive then I'd probably go. If we have a Perth Adelaide rotation I'd be less likely. The earlier I know the better. If the draw is done in Dec 2026 as suggested earlier, then I'll likely have something else planned for 2027.

The annoying 'half considering it' fan like myself is who the organisers try to attract via an early draw. My money is as valuable to the bottom line as that of the dedicated fan.

• Advertisement

I'd imagine you are the exception rather than the rule.

Nobody or very few would be in a position to decide on a whim to go to a match on the other side of the planet.

If you are considering going you'll have done it a long way out.

A firm date for the draw and the majority would hold off making plans until they see the draw.

But surely the draw isnt going to matter much one way or another if you are a casual fan? These reasons you give are very poor reasons and dont justify doing to draw 3-4 years out.

@ArmaniJeanss Just to add a personal view. I have family in Aus and a visit is long on the cards. I will make a decision to go to the World Cup after the 6 nations next year. I want to see how we rebuild and if we are looking like being in contention again.

The specifics of the draw won't matter until much later. I will be planning on going.

The comparison with FIFA doesn't work for me.

Ultimately FIFA can't actually do the draw until 7 months before the event because they won't know the teams who will be there. Even a year before the FIFAWC there'll be a good chance that no-one in Africa, Concacaf or Europe has confirmed their qualification, whilst perhaps Brazil, Argentina and Uruguay will have mathematically qualified from South America plus a couple of Asian teams. But you can't do a draw when only say 10 of the 48 teams are known.

Also we shouldn't ignore that the FIFAWC is an incredibly easy sell with minimal marketing required. Like they can have it in the uber awkward and expensive to get to/stay in Qatar in December, all the wise heads in the soccer media predict it will be a catastrophe of empty grounds unless they have locals pretending to be fans etc. Actual result was fans of all teams still travel and games pretty much sell-out as much as normal.

Rugby doesn't sell like that. Or so the organisers fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Certainly not new to rugby. Was at QF in 1991 so have plenty of scars from the WC ..but just don't moan about it. Beaten by better side on the night. Take it, move on . Certainly examine why but stop fecking moaning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭McFly85

Tickets went on general sale for this WC last December so I don’t think the early draw does much for that. Package organisers will have their allocation well in advance and 10 months is more than enough time to sell those.

If you’re going to seed your draw - the whole point of which is to have a good chance of having your best teams at the business end of the competition - doing that so far out that teams can be completely overhauled makes the seeding almost pointless.

Other international tournaments have done draws 6/7 months ahead of the finals, rugby should be able to do the same.

Meh, I'm not suggesting 3/4 years out. I'm predicting the draw to be made in late 2025 this time, so roughly 2 years beforehand. I'm just basing this from what I've seen of the process over the last few years, the marketing that needed to be done, the way the ticket releasing worked, the co-operation with package sellers/corporates etc.

Interesting debate anyway, more interesting than last nights semi-final.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭tgdaly

If FIFA can make a draw 6 months out for the biggest competition in the world, World Rugby has no excuse. I get that it causes some issues for fans and teams organising camp locations etc, but it's the only way the draw is going to accurately reflect the position of teams. Especially if the World League goes ahead in 2026 and all the top teams have played each other. Do the draw in 2024, it's too far out. Do it in 2025, the Lions tour effects the amount of games some teams have played

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I think a year out is fine. I fully intend to be in Australia and would like to book everything as early as possible, but as early as possible is about a year anyway.

Just do the draw and have the first tranche of ticket sales a couple weeks later. Job done.

Hmmm, you are way-off on 'tickets went on sale last December'. Surely it was way before that? According to our ticket thread here the initial FMT tickets and city packs went on general sale 15/03/21. That to me is the actual start-point of sales. Clearly it's ridiculously early compared to other sports, but that is what World Rugby/local organisers believe they have to do. Why are you so sure they are wrong.

What do you mean by 'other international tournaments have done the draw 6/7 months before hand?' Do you have a non-soccer example of a sport which is trying to sell out 30K-60K stadiums doing it in such a manner?

That's better than previously but still far too early. These reasons you give while valid concerns they dont justify doing the draw so early.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭tgdaly

Cricket World Cup tickets only went on sale in August. I know that a lot of the games haven't exactly sold out, but a lot of that could be to do with the location

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭McFly85

Was thinking cricket, it’s one big group but still as for where each team is playing and when, tickets went on sale fairly recently.

Just think there’s practically no benefit to anything further out than a year.

The organisers should have all the matches and locations planned out by then, they don’t need to know the specific teams for that. It should also be planned in a way that groups teams in the same group in one area to have it handy for fans to go to multiple games(especially in Australia).

So all fans really need to know is where their team is going to play, and 10 months is plenty of time to sort that out. Knowing which team is playing where 2 years out doesn’t automatically mean more tickets or bigger attendance.

And WR should really be looking at the fact that the semi finals, which should be massive games, are essentially 2 dead rubbers, which is a situation they will surely want to avoid in future.

I'm fairly sure they are wrong.

I was going to buy a FMT packet one way or the other. While it was pleasant to get the expense out of the way 2 years early, I didn't look at a single thing regarding transport or accommodation until about a year after I bought the tickets. If anything the risk of not being able to go when buying so early is far higher. It's simply deeply, deeply unnecessary.

And WR should really be looking at the fact that the semi finals, which should be massive games, are essentially 2 dead rubbers, which is a situation they will surely want to avoid in future.

To be fair, if the draw had been done at exactly the same time but SA and Ireland ended up in Pool C instead of Pool B then everything would have been fine...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭swiwi_

I took my 11 year old daughter to the stadium last night. First ever game. She was so excited and wide-eyed. Made everything else secondary. If you’ve got kids yourself you’ll know what I mean. We had 2 lads from Cork in front of us. They were wearing Argentinian scarves but were very magnanimous. Especially when I said the second daughter was born in Cork. Also saw a father and son wearing the Irish shirt and a kiwi lad taking a photo for them. The kiwis I spoke to said they really felt for the Irish, it would be nice if people forgot all the pettiness and just concentrated on the good things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,926 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You are looking at one side of it. The speed everywhere from New Zealand was incredible. The organisation is brilliant.

There is no holes in that team right now.

Ireland are the only team really close to them in my opinion.

It will certainly be interesting to see how they handle the other team we outplayed. SA, if they make it to the final.

plenty will probably say the pool game meant nothing but SA wanted to win that as much as we did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,926 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

They beat them easily enough in the Rugby Championship in the summer.

Don't mind that game in Twickenham. One side looking for a confidence boosting win before the World Cup, the other deciding they were giving nothing away that close to the tournament.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

How does it help selling tickets to locals? If a world cup is on near me I don't mind buying tickets the week before a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭hahashake

Will Jordan quietly tied for most tries ever at a world cup. Such a classy player, deceptively quick and skilful.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Rugbymad2020

Outplayed Sa?think u need to look at match stats.

There will be a lot of unattractive looking games in a RWC involving teams that also won't have a lot of travelling support. Based on this World Cup's fixtures I'm thinking of the Italy v Uruguay v Namibia trilogy, Portugal v Georgia stuff like that. Maybe 12-15 of the 40 group fixtures need graft. The expectation would be that the smaller grounds in Canberra, Townsville, Newcastle & Gold Coast would be used for these games but there's still 25K-30K capacity to be sold.

I accept you personally would go to any game if you happened to live in Townsville. However the reality is that these games aren't an easy sell to an Australian public for whom Rugby Union may now be down to number 3 or 4 on the sport they follow. So a long lead-in time helps.

The on-going CWC has been mentioned. To me that's an example of a sport/organisation getting it completely wrong by leaving it far too late to clarify venues/fixtures and blithely assuming that locals would go because it's cricket and Indians love cricket. So they've ended up with some group games with 10K attendance in 50K venues (in cities with populations of 5 million). I wonder if they wish they'd had 18 month lead time to do a marketing campaign in England/Australia/NZ and also locally, work with package companies and corporates etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

What do you mean "other" team we out played. Do you think we outplayed NZ?

Advertisement