Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭markw7

Taylor at the back post from a corner makes it 3-1. Delighted for him, he has been good today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

He is starting to come into some decent form after having such a rough start to the season.

What are peoples thoughts on the board not banning the green brigade?

Personally I think support Palestinians if you want, but the timing of that banner immediately following what Hamas did is disgusting and the lot of them should get lifetime bans.

If this is not an appropriate post then delete away mods, I think its important as it reflects very badly on our club as a whole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

There are other forums for discussing the current conflict, which should not be discussed here, but it would seem appropriate to discuss why a significant group of Celtic supporters show support for Palestine.

This is a short article from a few years ago worth reading by Celtic fans who don’t know

In summary, this group of Celtic fans say they continuously fly Palestinian flags to try and highlight the apartheid regime and continuous oppression, displacement, even murders, carried out on a day to day basis against Palestinians in Gaza and West Bank.

I didn’t see the exact flags you refer to, but I’d be surprised and disgusted if it was in support of the Hamas murders carried out last week. But their support of the innocent Palestinians who are now being oppressed, displaced and killed on an even higher level now cannot stop, in their view. In fact , they say, the support of the plight of these innocent people is now required more than ever.

I have no issue with them showing support/solidarity with the Palestinian people, I thought it was admirable.

They held up a banner that read "Free Palestine victory to the resistance!!" about 10 hours after the attack started.

That to me is not on and should be punished by the club, at least ban them for a few games to let them know it isn't acceptable. Calling for a lifetime ban is maybe too harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

That banner doesn’t necessarily mean they support Hamas’ attack a few weeks ago. Since then the Israelis have killed hundreds more civilians than what happened in that Hamas attack. “The club”, by that I suppose you mean the board, need to be cognisant of the support that is the lifeblood of the club.

The people in Gaza are starving and being bombed out in what looks like a land grab by Israel using the terrible attack by Hamas you referred to above. The Celtic supporters stand in solidarity with the Palestinian people and if “the club” as you call them single out the Green Brigade on this they will find large scale resistance.

'Victory to the resistance!!' 10 hours after a terrorist attack that killed 1,400 people... to say "doesn't necessarily mean they support Hamas" is some fierce denial of their intention in showing it imho.

These lads are the lifeblood of the club? Nice of them not to turn up for Forrest's testemonial a couple of months ago, a player who has been with us since he was 11 I think.

Am I really that off with my opinions that the majority of the fan base have no problem with their behaviour in this instance and would back them.... f*** me.

Backing the Palestinian people doesn’t mean supporting that Hamas attack and taking of hostages a couple of weeks ago. I’m not a spokesperson for the Green Brigade so I don’t presume to know their exact intentions re that banner. Also I didn’t say “these lads are the lifeblood of the club”, I said the support is the lifeblood of the club, which it is and the custodians of the club need to be cognisant of that before they go issuing lifetime bans to some of them as you said above.

The response from Israel has been horrendous and disproportionate even in the context of Hamas’ horrific attacks and follows decades of reneging and undermining the Oslo Accords among other deals that have been internationally brokered. A bit odd that you get so animated about a banner in those contexts with cries of “What are peoples thoughts on the board not banning the green brigade?”

What are people’s thoughts on the prohibitions against expressing solidarity with the Palestinian people I would ask which has been occurring elsewhere and UEFA will be handing out fines as per usual after the Atletico game next week no doubt. A nice little earner for UEFA raking in fines from clubs across Europe for their fans displaying banners or fireworks.

So asking for a bit of cop on with the timing of banners after attrocities is being animated and crying?

You keep deflecting so I'm not going to engage anymore and I probably shouldn't have started it in fairness.

• Advertisement

I’m deflecting nothing. The banner you’re originally referring to to my knowledge did not display support for Hamas.

Again I didn’t say crying, I said cries, a different word in that context that doesn’t literally mean crying. Honestly if you’re going to ask for “people’s thoughts” on something can you stick to debating on what they actually said. That’s the second time you’ve done that, misinterpreted what I said.

By the way, there’s no harm in discussing the issue, and you’re entitled to debate the issues around displaying of banners etc. Bohemians for example have an away shirt where some of the proceeds of sales go towards Sport for Life an organisation in Palestine promoting sports for young people there. The Green Brigade among other Celtic fans are also engaged in that project I believe. The idea that politics and sport don’t mix in reality isn’t feasible.

In my opinion saying they support Palestinians over and over again and they didn't mention Hamas is deflecting, if you disagree thats fair enough.

Cries and crying is really splitting hairs and needless semantics, I'm not putting words in your mouth or twisting your argument.

I think the timing was awful, you have no issue with it - again fair enough.

Would people be ok with a "Unite Ireland victory to the resistance" banner after the Omagh bombing I wonder.

This is a poor example I know but the best I can come up with for now.

You saying "I'm deflecting" over and over again doesn't translate to me actually "deflecting" from anything. What am I "deflecting" from exactly in your opinion? The Green Brigade in their banner to my knowledge did not display support for Hamas, that's not me deflecting from anything.

Cries in that context is a different meaning and is not splitting hairs and earlier you exclaimed that I had said; "These lads are the lifeblood of the club?" referring to the GB I presume. I never said that, I was talking about the fans collectively being the lifeblood of the club.

You jumped in two footed in post 3654 with "What are peoples thoughts on the board not banning the green brigade?" followed by "the lot of them should get lifetime bans." You're now saying it was the timing was awful. Would it have been ok if they waited a bit until after further Israeli atrocities to display the banner in support of the Palestinian people?

"You're now saying it was the timing was awful". I said it in the second sentence of the opening post - I can play pedant as well, it doesn't further the discussion.

I walked back from the initial lifetime ban suggestion, but keep putting it out there if it makes you feel better.

Any thoughts on the scenario I posited?

You can play pedant just fine.

Keep putting it out there that I'm deflecting, even though I'm not, if it makes you feel better.

Which scenario? The one about Omagh? That's a poor analogy, you even said yourself it was a poor example.

Edit; When I quote your post above number 3664 the bottom two lines disappear, maybe you edited it?

• Advertisement

That's not a "no comment" answer that you quoted. You are good at this pedantic thing aren't you.

Well, you've made a journey of sorts since your opening gambit on the subject in the previous page.

Gambit? Well if thats how it came across it wasn't my intention. I don't believe in point scoring but with this clunky medium of text on a screen it devolves into that so much on here - not a snide remark or about you btw.

Well this seems to have run its course I think, thought there would be a few more voices on the subject tbh.

Hopefully we can give Hearts a good pumping on Sunday, 'mon the hoops!

Celts Are Here just after posting an article saying Brendan had a sit down dinner with Abada over the international break and he'll be with us for the foreseeable - thank fcuk, think he's a quality player with a lot of potential.

• Advertisement

Others may have something to say about it and it's expected that there will be a display of support for Palestinians at Parkhead on Wednesday v Atletico, probably followed by another UEFA fine because UEFA are against political displays in stadiums except when it comes to political issues they don't find controversial.

He's our player and a good player and will be good to get him back fit as soon as possible.

Agreed, UEFA can stick their fines, corrupt w*nkers.

Good news there for sure. Nawrocki back in full training too so things looking much better on the injury front now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

I watch games/go to matches for entertainment and I would prefer football and politics are kept separate but in reality they can't be.

I thought the timing and wording of the banner could have been better with the horror that was unfolding at the time. For me "Victory to the resistance" at that time crossed the line into celebrating what had happened.

On the flip side Celtic fan groups have for many years highlighted the plight of the Palestinian people when being attacked by Israel and have actually done some good work there supporting causes to make life for people a little bit better.

I'd prefer our game on Wednesday to be spoken about for us putting on a great performance and hopefully getting a result against Atletico but more than likely it will be flags and banners that will make the headlines.

Having a short injury list will be pivotal to our season I think, I'm kinda worried the other lot have signed a good manager and it'll go down to the wire.

If we can get through these next 2 away games in the league and maintain our current lead we will be in a very strong place going forward.

Definitely, we also have recruited far better players and only lost one starter in Jota.

Well that didn't take long, O'Riley with a lovely volley in the box from a fantastic assist by Palma after 3 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,296 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

• Advertisement

This is the away end just before the game started. It was not shown on Sky at all and it was what the booing was all about

Was wondering what the boos were about, f*ck 'em (the jambos).

Maeda from about a yard out after plenty of pressure from us, this could be embarrassing for Hearts.

Soft penalty given to Celtic but Hatate hits the post

Kyogo makes it 3

Kyogo makes it 3, sin é.

Very sloppy from Maeda but great finish from Shankland to pull one back for Hearts

Iwata with his first goal for Celtic makes it 4-1, nice finish by him.

• Advertisement

Nice win today

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭dom40

a good win today against the horrible Diets,What a goal from Matt o Riley,Hatate very casual and not seeming too intrested at times,giving the ball away far too much,and the penalty was terrible,Anyway roll on Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Very good win today, some decent goals and we dominated the game from start to finish. Palma looking better by the game and Hatate starting to find his form.

Good to see Rodgers getting the recognition from the fans after the game

Hopefully it will be both on Wednesday. Atletico probably the best team in the Group but at home all going well a win is possible.

• Advertisement

That was a big test passed with flying colours. Could easily have been a good bit more then 4-1 on the scoreboard as well. Palma looked good again and I thought Iawata put in a decent shift when he came on as well as getting his first Celtic goal. Should do his confidence the world of good. But how about Matt O'Riley again. Another superb performance and what a stunning goal to set the tone so early on.

Two brilliant goals to put us 2-1 up but we’ll probably need several more to win it

That was an enjoyable first half, more of the same for the second and we have this.

O'Riley is really on another level lately, delighted we nailed him down with the new contract.

It's nice to have a neutral ref for a change, lets hope we can punish them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭luckyboy

Scales is doing well again tonight. He’s really settled in at this level now

• Advertisement
Advertisement