Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

URC 2023/24

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,152 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

You may as well say there's 60 million potential TV viewers in South Africa.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Except there aren't 50m potential viewers. Prem rugby has very poor viewership numbers. It's more like a few hundred thousand potential viewers.

Exactly. They got 14.5m viewers TOTAL in the 21-22 season, or around 500k per round.

An average of ~1m then watched the final.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

• Registered Users Posts: 17,799 ✭✭✭✭bilston

• Advertisement

The point is, we'd be best to base projections around the number of people in England willing to pay to watch it on TV than on population. And that number is somewhere between 500k and 1m, with the number likely being closer to the downside.

You might see a spike in interest with Irish and SA diaspora based in England, with more frequent encounters against their teams.

I believe BT pay £40m a year for the Premiership.

Given any combined league would in theory be a more attractive competition that figure should rise as there would probably be more competition for those rights. In other words the TV Rights for the URC would at least double, albeit the English clubs would be taking a chunk of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,494 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Connacht and Ospreys is a joke kit wise. This stuff really needs to be done better

The devil will be in the detail.

Assuming TV revenues double to 80m per year, it then gets chopped up between unions of England, Ireland, South Africa, Scotland, Wales and Italy.

Assuming unions will want a share of TV money proportional with the number of teams they have, that grants us a share somewhere between 15% and 20%, with the proportion decreasing with every team England enter into the competition (realistically they can probably sustain 6 or so; they'll probably push for at least 8).

So a realistic projection for the upside to the IRFU is around 12m from this source of TV revenue.

As it stands, Provincial income (URC TV included) makes up the 20m or so "other income" portion of the IRFU income statement, out of the 90m+ total.

Long winded way of saying, I'm not sure how much appetite there'll be to secure this source of revenue, given all the costs that come with it.

I also can't see (a) English clubs suddenly folding into RFU control or (b) the URC unions entering into a deal that doesn't deal directly with the RFU.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,350 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

It could go to a straight knock competition after the leagues are done. Be a better format imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,181 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

What was with Mack Hansen knocking back a pint at the Connacht v Ospreys match on TG4?

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭sliabh 1956

I think he is entitled to one after his efforts over the last few weeks😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Stormers letting the Lions back into this game.

35-26 with 7 minutes left.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Are they not using the bunker system in the URC this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,019 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Man watching Saturday afternoon match in pint drinking shocker.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Some outrageous tries today. Dragons 1st one was a beauty. Stormers had a good one too. Glad the domestic season is back.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,181 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I agree, but he was necking it in one and spilling a bit on himself. I should have clarified better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

The English game is in the process of destroying itself. The IRFU and others would be better off staying away or at least waiting until the RFU are back in greater control over the premiership before having anything to do with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Happyhouse22

Just realized that I have been watching the URC (and it’s predecessors) for years but don’t know the kit colours of most of the non Irish teams…

Is it just me or do a lot of the teams show up with random colours from season to season - I get that a lot of it is away jerseys and kit clashes but don’t think I know what colours Zebre, Benetton, Edinburgh, Dragons, Sharks or Lions wear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,494 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Scarlets getting destroyed by Bulls

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

The budget cuts in Wales look like they will go well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,962 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

What on earth is going on with Josh McKay's line-up picture 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

I know there's a lot of first choice missing across Irish and SA teams in particular but it was a cracking opening weekend with some interesting results and story lines. Both Italian teams going well (Zebre very unlucky v Ulster), Leinster losing their opening match for the first time in God knows how long, all four Welsh teams losing and a ton of tries scored. Glad the league is back!

Wonder how much of a break all the players will be getting after the world cup. Especially SA players who still have a game to play this coming weekend.

Easier for the SA teams, they will be asked (told) by SA rugby to give most of the players a decent break to recover, but those players playing for clubs abroad might not get the same courtesy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭OldRio

The Wales v Baa baas game is scheduled during the season. Absolutely madness from the WRU.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Wales always have a game outside the normal international window in November, so this is that game this year. This issue within Wales is that there is a Welsh derby between Scarlets and Cardiff the same day and derbys are the only games that draw a decent crowd for them.

Depends on the union too. The likes of Jones and Darge were back in action for Glasgow yesterday, while Mack Hansen was necking pints on the terrace in Galway the day before.

I'd be very surprised to see URC-based Springboks in action before the Heineken Cup rounds in December, tbh.

Fair enough, but Scotland did exit a week earlier than Ireland. Is Hansen playing the coming weekend? That woould indicate a weekend off before getting back to it.

I hope the players get a bit more of a break than that, but also realise the clubs pay their wages and will want them to play as soon as possible.

Kolisi can play the final saturday evening and run out for Racing 92 on sunday lol

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

There's no reason the likes of Byrne, McCloskey, O'Brien and Casey shouldn't be back next week.

But I doubt they will be.

Advertisement