Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cohabiting?

Options
  • 21-10-2023 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a question regarding cohabiting.

My partner is on Disability Allowance and I am on basic supplementary Welfare allowance because I'm unable to work but was turned down on my disability claim.

I currently get 218 on the claim but the social welfare are saying my girlfriend needs to claim for me instead.

This would reduce my payment from 218 to 146 making things look pretty bleak for us in terms of bills rent and food.

It feels as though we are being punished for telling the truth.

Is it mandatory for us to be that much less off per week on account of cohabiting?

Thanks in advance

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 25,268 ✭✭✭✭zell12

They are correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭gipi

Yes, you are only entitled to the rate for a couple, not 2 X single rates.

It would be the same if you were on disability allowance.

Edit: See tootired123's post below, my information is out of date re DA.

Post edited by gipi on

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭John Horgan

Will lie through my teeth from now on if that's the thanks you get for being honest.

Thanks for the clarification though guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

It's not the "thanks you get" it's exactly what you are entitled to.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭xyz13

Plenty clerical WFH jobs out there...

3 sides to every story...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

No it wouldn’t. If he had been successful in his DA application then he’d have €220

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

If you make yourself available for full time work and claim JSA and you have less than 20000 in savings then you’ll have 220.

If you remain as your partners dependent you’ll have €146 but your partner can claim HBP and they’ll get Fuel Allowance.

It’s not a question of lying through your teeth. Things have changed at SW and they know everything about both you and your partner now as all the government bodies are speaking to one another all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭gipi

I sit corrected, thanks - it has changed since my day when a couple were treated as a couple for all means tested SW payments. Glad to see there's a bit of consideration for DA recipients.

Advertisement