Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Shehal

What was actually the point of Addison's selection? He's almost certainly going to hand Zebre the win here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,795 ✭✭✭✭bilston

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

He's been useless all game and then when Ulster needed a calm head he throw's a ridiculous needless offload.

If Ulster had any brains they would have let Zebre score a try 3:30 - 4 minutes ago so they would have still had time to get a winner. This situation is only going to end 1 way, this is just death by 1000 cuts stuff now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Wow, barely held on. Why didn't Zebre go for a scrum again. So so stupid

I mean why on earth did Zebre not take a scrum there? That is probably one of the worst decisions I've ever seen on a rugby pitch. Unbelievablely stupid.

Ulster win and don't deserve it in any way shape or form.

Luckily for Ulster Zebre for whatever reason decided to move away from the scrum after winning 4 penalties and instead decided to tap and go and it ends with Ulster turning it over.

It wouldnt surprise me if they asked the ref and ref said he wasnt going to give a PT from there or something. I see no other logic in going for a tap and go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Ah yes, the 'let them score a game winner' tactic that all great teams employ. Plenty to criticise but maybe wise up a little?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭OldRio

To be fair given what had happened in the previous 76 minutes I did think the sooner Ulster concede the better.

Trying to think of positives. Ewers and Stockdale maybe. Some nice interplay at times which suggests a bit of a change in the way we're going to play.

But Jonny Bell will have a busy week ahead. That was unacceptable defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Get Payne back ASAP.

Sorry for not having a crystal ball and not seeing Zebre actually being stupid enough to move away from their dominant scrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭jacothelad

He is at Scarlets with Peel. Ulster look lost. That is really down to the coach and his team and the fact that we are lumbered year upon year with hopeless imported failure rejects like French and a squad with too many home grown players who are inadequate at URC level. The actual make-up of the starting 15 is mystifying. How in the name of F*7k do players need rested for the first game of the season. Why was Addison started instead of from the bench after 2 years without a game? Amateur time has returned. It's more like an episode of Hi-De-Hi than a professional aports outfit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

I agree with your arguments, Jaco, but really felt compelled to salute you on your "rubbish 80s British sitcom" point of reference.

Hello campers.

Positive post time.

What's the view on Flannery? He looks like he has really good hands, and can play flat and if we are going to change our attacking shape then he might be our man.

It was interesting to hear Gilroy on commentary say he was quite quiet and needed to grow into a leadership role. But overall I am quite encouraged from what I saw from him yesterday.

Elsewhere I like big Dave Ewers, he carried really well, only one game down but he looks an astute signing.

Stewart, Treadwell, Stockdale and Doak all had decent games (again I'm talking about on the ball, the whole team get minus points for the defence).

Negative post time

I'm really concerned about the prop situation this season certainly in terms of depth.

We are putting a hell of a lot of eggs into the Steven Kitshoff/Tom O'Toole baskets, realistically will we see either before December?

Addison was really poor yesterday. I'm not going to criticise him personally too much because as you say a couple of AIL games may have been the best thing for him. I don't think anyone should ever be above playing AIL. I remember Paul O'Connell playing for Young Munster after a long term injury to get minutes under his belt (admittedly this was maybe 15 years ago), if a Lions captain can do it then anyone can.

And yes, you can trace our struggles back to both Peel and Payne leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭launish116

What a dire showing, actually feel sorry for the likes of Ewers & Kitshoff joining Ulster.

We had 4 looseheads playing yesterday, is all I need to know.

Ulster have no depths of any standard and then recruit a bunch of AIL level players and expect them to succeed. Signings like that should have been signed last year and given a full year of S&C and integrated properly. Until Ulster resolve the continuous parachuting of players into unfair situations we'll never progress.

Players like Ewers & Kitshoff are great to hide cracks, but 4 above average players woulda been better for the squad than 2 marque.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,091 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Wouldn't be too down on Ulster just yet. Zebre do have the capacity to string together some strong attacking phases. Leinster played them in the opening fixture last season and barely scraped through for the victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Dire defensive effort. Very very poor. If Ulster fall apart early this year MacFarland won't last. I think he's reached his apex.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭launish116

Sadly the epitome of Ulster reliance on a 30 something player recovering from an ACL

I hate the doom and gloom so earlier in the season, but Ulster have some serious depth/quality issues. Which we continue to paper over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Watched the game back. I know it's the first game but that was pretty bad. Really not sure what value Bell brings?

When he came back to Ulster it felt like jobs for the boys. Look at the assistant coaches at the other provinces,then look at ours

I would hope at this point he would be back up to TOT. I suppose irrespective of age, once fit he gives us another option. But without O'Toole and Moore we are in big big trouble.

What happened to Scott Wilson? Is he not rated?

Questions to be asked about our defence alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Scott is currently attending the mandatory talent removal protocol in case he shows any smidgeon of ability in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Bulls put over 60 points on Scarlets so Ulster could be facing another rude awakening in a week's time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

My expectations for this season are incredibly low after watching that one.

Advertisement