Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

How has that not been looked at for a pen? Keeper nowhere near the ball and nearly knocks the striker out ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Dave0301

GKs really shouldn't get away with taking out attacking players like Sanchez just did.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Hour gone and Arsenal still waiting for a shot on target.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭NITRO95

Just sat here thinking the very same. He was nowhere near the ball. That's the definition of reckless play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

It won't be, and it doesn't deserve one, and you know it. But, Liverpool bad.

Those sort of incorrect decisions happen every other game. It's not a once off occurence ,which is what PGMOL actually get involved for. There's plenty of examples of the same thing in October alone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Fine goal, keeper caught out a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,289 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

keepers getting caught left, right and centre trying to play out from the back.

good hit from rice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,179 ✭✭✭Xander10

Howler by Sanch

2-2 , Arsenal will take a lot from this game if they can snatch a winner.

• Advertisement

Sorry for trying to inject a bit of humour. Forgot I was responding to a Mod

I didn't say it wasn't humourous, just not very funny to me. Must be a Mod thing though 😁

2-2 fair result in the end. Chelsea with yet another draw and will not be happy to cough up a 2 goal lead.

Arsenal will be delighted with a point considering they were fairly poor for nearly 80 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

It's always funny to see how poorly Chelsea are doing after spunking so much cash since Bohley came in.

McTominsy scores and then gives away a penalty.

1-1

• Advertisement

Dalot with a Beckam-esque finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Fair play to the lad. Og was unfortunate though.

If he keeps scoring like he's done recently, he might get a move to one of the big teams 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Not sure what happened with Konate but sounds like a foul was given but no second yellow. Don't think VAR can intervene there?

On another note, there are some absolutely abysmal teams in the league this year. Can see a couple of teams finishing with fewer than 20 points and Derby's record might even be under threat.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,576 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I think the fact that there is a few of them might be the only reason the record doesn’t end up under threat.

Awful miss by Watkins, has to be scoring them.

• Advertisement

Luiz's goal is his sixth in a row, a Premier League record for Villa.

I reckon Antonio has given possession away the majority of time he's touched the ball.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Bowen's fifth away game in a row to score, joining Henry and Salah.

West Ham playing well now, game really opening up.

The Villa player should be sent for a HIA. Poor lad looked liked he was almost knocked out be that little tap on the head

A belter from Watkins should seal the points. 3-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I just dont get why anyone would want to chant ill feelings about the dead, especially one who was a hero of their national team? Football fans can be incredibly stupid at the best of times, but this is just low.

I really hope no one at any club I support would do likewise.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/67188823

English football fans are a weird bunch. Anything to score points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Been plenty examples of that crap among League of Ireland football supporters too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,118 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

They are and always will be a small time club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

Have to day I was surprised tonight by how absolutely atrocious Fulham were.No fight at all in them and since Aleksandar Mitrović left they look really ordinary.Absolutely terrible they were.

Post edited by ConcertKing on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I cant be the only one hoping Raul Jimenez starts banging in goals again. That injury really ruined him right when he was heading for his peak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

With you on that, but its been years since then, and he has never looked the same player, ever. 0 goals last season, 6 the previous one. Was nearing a 1 in 2 rate prior to the injury and probably looking at a move to a 'big club' the following summer if not for the injury. But now? you'd have to assume he is finished at the top level. Been too long since he showed form to think its just a matter of it clicking for him again. (talking league goals here, btw)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,118 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

What are the chances of Spurs doing a Leicester and going on to win the league?

Based on current form they are on target for a 97 point season. That's unlikely of course and they will probably drop at least 10 points but City don't (at least yet) look as dangerous as they have recently. Arsenal are stuttering a bit and LFC have Thursday ball to contend with as well as not being wholly convincing in alot of games.

Nobody else will come close I feel and not having any European distractions is a huge help for a fairly light squad.

Bookies have them at around 4th favourites which is probably about right based on recent history but its good to see someone else setting the pace for a change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Could be like Rodgers title tilt season with Liverpool, no Europe, out early in the league cup. Not a massive squad to try keep happy with rotation as a result. Very much think they'll be there or there abouts give their form so far. City have rodri back so that's massive for them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

No Spurs fans are really even thinking about the title, we're just enjoying the ride so far. Years of utter dross finally ended and we now play exciting attacking football. I actually enjoy watching our games, and actively look forward to them. The atmosphere in the stadium is better than ever, and there's a really good feel amongst the players from what i've read. Given that we lost our best ever player, its crazy how things are going. Ange has really changed things at the club, and i couldn't be happier.

Squad is very thin though, and one injury to Romero, Van de Ven, Maddison, Son etc... and we could struggle, though Bentancur's return could really help. The likes of Skipp, Dier, Emerson etc... are still not good enough for a team that want to challenge for the title. We also have had some dodgy performances, struggling to break down teams and poor passages of play (we were shite in the 2nd half last night against Fulham).

Now if we're top by Christmas, then i'll quickly change my tune and jump on the title train 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

They’ve had the easiest run of games in the league so far. I think top 4 is still the aim for now

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

If Spurs win the league it would not be doing a Leicester.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭JPup

Correct. Leicester winning the league was literally the longest odds winner in any sporting event ever. 5,000-1. It would be equivalent to someone like Bournemouth or Burnley winning the league this season. Hard to remember now, but Leicester were expected to get relegated that year!

As for Spurs, I think 4th is their most likely finishing spot still. With one or two good January signings though, it's not impossible they could win the league.

I'd rate the odds around 50% Man City, 20% Arsenal, 20% Liverpool, 9% Spurs, 1% Other (mostly Newcastle).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Sir Jims Reds are gonna give you one hell of a shock in May!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

As mentioned above, Spurs have had an easy run of fixtures so far.

This is the current top 10 (and I think these will be the top 10 teams at the end of the season) and how many other teams they have played from the top 10, home and away.

Spurs have only played 3 of those teams, and were extremely lucky in one of those. Man City and Man United have also only played 3 games so they have had an easier run of fixtures too.

Liverpool have had a tough run, as have Newcastle, with 6 games so it will be interesting to see how they are placed once this table evens out a bit. Brighton and West Ham have also played 6 and have had Thursday night games too, which makes things trickier as also mentioned above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I spoke about last week, I don’t think this City side will break the 90 point barrier this season, they’re not at it like last season and rely heavily on Rodri, however I don’t think the chasing pack is strong enough to even break the 80 point mark! They all seem to be lacking something; Arsenal still don’t have a recognised out and out goal scorer and have made some questionable summer signings in Havertz and Raya. Liverpool don’t have a top quality No.6 and won’t get away with playing MaCallister there all season. Spurs their squad is just too thin, last night’s bench was hugely lacking in quality. Newcastle likewise, their squad just lacks depth. Now if any of those teams stay in the mix and can then add the required talent in January, we might get a decent challenge. But as things stand, they all currently lack as outlined. 85/86 point mark will be enough for City this season like the 20/21 season. 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭doc_17

I said it at the start of the season, if City lost a player or two, post treble season, they are catchable. KDB injured and Grealish not in Pep’s good books at the minute, Gundogan gone. Stones struggling for fitness too. It won’t take 90 points this season I’d say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

This could be the month (4 weeks) where Spurs find out how they are placed in the top 6 of English football.

Sat, Apr 13    Week 33        Newcastle    Tottenham

Sat, Apr 20    Week 34        Tottenham    Man City

Sat, Apr 27    Week 35        Tottenham    Arsenal

Sat, May 4     Week 36        Liverpool       Tottenham

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think they are very serious contenders. Postecoglou looks like a serious coach and it looks like all the players have bought into what he wants. The new signings all look like great additions too.

It's amazing how the loss of one player can hurt a team. Gundogan was a crucial piece in the City lineup and it's showing up now. I'm of the opinion that Bernardo Silva is another critical cog in that team. If he gets injured they are in real trouble I think.

Liverpool look good but not back near their best.

Arsenal look decent but I'm not sure if they are at the same level as last year.

The fact that Tottenham don't have European football to worry about is a huge bonus.

I fancy they'll be right there at the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

City have a habit of getting better and better as the season goes on, so i think it'll take a few key injuries to give anyone else a sniff.

Yeah, City are in 3rd gear. They'll win the league with ease imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭golfball37

Hopefully we’ll be 15 points clear before that run of games 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DAngelo Bailey

Spurs will challenge for top 4 but that's it they've only beaten 1 good team and that was in controversial circumstances to say the least.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement