Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,636 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Netflix UK & Ireland is making big money and they aren't losing subscribers infact it growing subscribers.

Netflix has revealed its full revenue from UK subscribers for only a second time — and it has been a year of growth for the streaming giant.

The company behind British originals The Crown and Sex Education posted sales of £1.54B ($1.9B) in the 12 months to the end of December 2022, an increase of 12% on the previous year’s revenue of £1.4B.

The earnings were disclosed by Netflix Services UK, the main entity that the streamer has registered at the UK’s Companies House. Pre-tax profits for the entity rose 22% to £34.1M last year.

It is only the second time Netflix has provided the full picture of its UK sales after changing its accounting practices in 2020 to stop funneling revenue through its European headquarters in the Netherlands.

Netflix Services UK’s earnings said that its average number of paid memberships increased 4% last year, while it also enjoyed 14% growth in the average money it made from each subscriber.

Netflix did not disclose how many UK subscribers it has, but audience research body BARB said 17.2M British homes had access to the streamer at the end of 2022, which was up 3% year-on-year.

Netflix Services UK’s tax bill has gone up considerably since it started posting full UK revenue. It paid £6.4M in income tax last year, compared with £5.3M in 2021.

The company’s earnings showed that its average number of UK employees grew by almost a third to 202. Most are based at Netflix’s UK headquarters at 30 Berners Street in central London.

Netflix said: “The UK is our most important production hub outside North America and we are deeply committed to making Netflix series and films here. Since 2020 we have invested almost $6 billion in making shows like HeartstopperThe Crown, and Top Boy. This is an increase of nearly 50% on what we originally anticipated and has created thousands of jobs right across the country.”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

I'd suspect the account sharing thing ended up catching people who share in reasonably decent ways. My mother uses Netflix so I'm inclined to just pay the extra fiver. It's pretty much prime and that which end up my defaults.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭jj880

More mugs out there than I thought. You'd wonder how much Netflix will rip the hole out of it before these numbers start going the other way.

Enjoyed it. Dark humour action. Script a bit light but fight scenes are excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭thefa

Enjoyed Fair Play. Hadn’t been expecting it to be as intense at different points. Two main characters are well acted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

• Registered Users Posts: 86,483 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Started watching Formula 1: Drive To Survive. Its a great series. Looks amazing in 4K but theyve done something with the sound that takes it to the next level. Dolby? Anyway havent watched anything that's managed to get as much out of my TV speakers. Really immersive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

I started The Fall of the House of Usher last night and found myself on episode 4 at midnight. I loved Mike Flanagan's Midnight Mass and Haunting of Hill House so had high hopes for this, tempered by my lack of interest in the Midnight Club even within the first episode. The Fall of the House of Usher is gory, no doubt about that but I'm loving the atmosphere of it and the storytelling. Reactions elsewhere (reddit) seem mixed so far though. I haven't read the book but I've a hazy idea of how it goes. Loosely basing the family on a recognisably loathsome real-world family was quite a clever device.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

The latest season of Top Boy is absolutely brilliant. As good as tv gets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Proper trailer has appeared for that Scott Pilgrim redo that's animated, but voiced by the cast of the 2010 movie. Not much to go on but I tend to be a bit leery about predominantly screen actors & "big names" doing voicework 'cos they're very different disciplines.

Post edited by pixelburp on

On episode 6. Enjoying it a lot. Some great actors from classic movies over the years. All putting in good shifts with some of the harshest dialogue Ive heard in a while e.g. "You've got new b@stards popping up like the latest smartphone". 😆 Hope it finishes as strong as it started.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Finished up Fall Of The House Of Usher tonight and it sticks the landing. I thought it was excellent, to the extent that I'll need to mull it over for a few days to decide whether it nudges Midnight Mass from the top spot of Flanagan's work.

I suspect that this one will find more favour than Bly Manor did because it is clearer and more confident in what it's doing (I liked Bly Manor a lot, but it felt like its form - ghost story - conflicted a bit with the tragic gothic romance it wanted to be).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

I see you all giving this good reviews, but is it a horror? We don't like horrors in our house... 👻

Finished it today. Ending is excellent. I'd put it in thriller / mystery / horror genres equally. Herself and myself enjoyed it. A good story well presented is always a winner in our house even with some horror thrown in 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Easy was highly enjoyable once you make it past a few episodes, and Love was good also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Kim’s Convenience is like Open All Hours but based in Canada and Arkwright is Korean. Funny, sweet and 20 minute episodes. What’s not to like? 😉

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Watched the latest season of Top Boy, was great stuff.

The Fall of The House of Usher is excellent, shades of American Horror Story in places, very slick, enjoying it highly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭appledrop

The Beckham documentary is excellent,way better then I expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭appledrop

I watched 'Nowhere' on a whim this week, not expecting much, it was outstanding.

Big Vape.

Good watch. Not a smoker / vaper myself so didn't know much about juul or similar products. Found the story of it very interesting.

Also just got my first "Add someone from outside the home to your Netflix account" screen. Skipped it. How long before anyone outside the home location gets blocked?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Ah fall of the house of usher was so good!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

You'll start getting them every few days unfortunately

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Watched Mark of the Phantasm the other month and it really held up. In fact it was surprisingly deep and left me thinking it was the best onscreen treatment of Bruce Wayne.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,483 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

From Friday 27th

Pain Hustlers

Liza Drake (Emily Blunt) is a blue-collar single mother who has just lost her job and is at the end of her tether. A chance meeting with pharmaceutical sales rep Pete Brenner (Chris Evans) puts her on an upwards trajectory economically but a dubious path ethically as she becomes entangled in a dangerous racketeering scheme. Dealing with her increasingly unhinged boss (Andy Garcia), the worsening medical condition of her daughter (Chloe Coleman) and a growing awareness of the devastation the company is causing soon forces Liza to examine her choices.

• Advertisement

Hollywood really is milking the prescription opiate epidemic.

Advertisement