Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Babies are not that expensive..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Do you have children?

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Maybe we could sell them to rich catholic yanks.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

€90 sounds low.

Having said that the second child is less costly than the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,239 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Sure babies are not particularly costly to support, particularly if sensible with hand me downs and breastfed.

They tend to grow though and it's when they get older, that they become expensive. A spike with any early childcare costs, less for a period in primary school and then soars again in teenage and college years.

Then they need to live at home as nowhere can be rented at reasonable cost and when they try to buy, assistance with mortgage.

But babies are cheap comparatively.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Just bought my lad a new pair of shoes having bought him a pair 6 weeks ago that he's grown out of.

There's something to be said for old days when kids went to school with no shoes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,979 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Provided you exclusively breast feed, use cloth nappies (line-dried), buy 2nd hand everything (buggies, clothes,toys), don't use a car (so no car seat) - and the kid never gets sick enough to need medicine (GP is free, the pharmacy isn't). then, yeah the first six months ain't too bad.

(Seriously do you know anyone who does ALL that????)

But then maternity benefit ends and ya gotta feed them solids and pay for childcare ... costs really take off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭corner of hells

And don’t let them know about Christmas or birthday parties when they’re older ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭howiya

That's if you can find childcare to take a baby before they are one. Friends of mine couldn't and had to take unpaid leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭timetogo1

I know you mentioned "unless you are paying somebody else to look after them". That's the huge expense and not a choice for most parents. As soon as maternity leave is over you have no choice if you work.

Then going into school reduces that but still, if both parents have a 9 to 5 and extended family is not available then you have no choice but to pay for some kind of child care (€400 a month for my 7 year old during school days).

Then if you have a second child just multiply by 2.

The recent childcare supports in the recent budgets are a huge help. Still up to a grand a month depending on your child's age.

Plus when the schools are closed you need childcare. We overlap our holidays obviously but we don't get as much time off as they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

€90 on average for your first child seems low enough when you average out the cost of all the stuff you need to have for babies these days. €90 would cover two, maybe 3 days in crèche.

At a minimum, a baby needs a modern cot, a car seat (and it's advised to not buy second hand), food and clothes. For practical reasons they also need a stroller. Most expensive of all is the minding they require.

Other nice to haves are a travel system and travel cot.

It all adds up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Just pray they don't get or have a serious long term mental and/or physical illness. Babies are not just for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭Tork

At least the little blighters will get used to the meaning of the word No early in life. If money's that tight you'll be saying it a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Kids are expensive, and first babies in particular. However in saying that, this will most likely be an unpopular opinion, but I think the amount of assistance parents get nowadays towards the cost of raising children is very generous.

Child benefit, childcare subsidy, and free GP also, all add up.

In my day there was child benefit and that was it. There was no free preschool, no childcare subsidy, definitely no free GPs, and maternity leave was 12 weeks. Childcare wasn't cheap then either, (when was childcare ever cheap?)

It is better now, as it should be. But my god, when is it ever enough? It's as if some parents want to have kids, but have the State foot ALL the costs of raising them.

FWIW, when it comes to childcare subsidies, I think what resources there are should be targeted at parents in full time education, training or employment only. If there is a parent at home full time, there should be no need for State subsidised creche places for those children.

Also FWIW, I was glad to see parents of older children finally acknowledged somewhat in the budget, especially with CB extended to 18 year olds still in FTE. Everything always seems so focused on younger children, but wait until you're feeding and clothing a teenager.

That's my 2c worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭JCN12

Post edited by JCN12 on

I take the point of childcare, obviously it's expensive. But that's a lifestyle choice, stemming from years worth of financial decisions and planning prior to having kids. i.e. how much you save/ the house you buy and where you buy it and financial commitments thereafter.

However, expensive prams, cots and car seats are not necessary. Plenty of budget/ used options out there which are one off costs, which then can be cascaded down the younger ones.

As for running costs, store brand diapers and wipes etc. tend to be very cheap. Baby formula, again max 2 cans a week and that cost will disappear after a year.

As for clothes, with a bit of planning there are plenty of online sales/ thrift options and again can be cascaded down.

It's just sad that she will possibly never have more children, when that's what she wants. If you are willing to make the decisions and sacrifices, it is more than doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

This is the most delusional thread of all time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I imagine you are a man. Maternity leave alone can cost so much money. I HAD to take 6 months maternity leave after having my children, despite my job not paying it. So I had a €240 per week state benefit per week for 26 weeks (then €245 per week on my subsequent maternity leave) for 26 weeks, which meant that my two entire pregnancies required a LOT of saving so I could afford to live while I was off.

You have to buy new mattresses and car seats per child for safety purposes.

Kids don't magically give up formula at 12 months either, some fussy feckers refuse cows milk or water so it isn't as simple as moving onto those at 12 months, unless breastfeeding. If a woman plans on returning to work, the child will need to stay hydrated so this will require a massive amount of experiment with various drinking receptacles and fluids. Lots of bottles and cups will be tested during this time.

I am a massive fan of Zero Waste/ Freecycle Facebook pages and second hand baby things (I also used cloth nappies) but there are some things that you cannot get second hand,like vests (they end up stained by poop or during the food weaning process).

I am budget conscious and could not believe how much I spent in the first few months of my kids' lives in the chemist- breast pads (I often used reusable but sometimes they were not sufficient), thermometres, teething gel, Calpol, moisturisers, skin creams, bath washes (all child specific so require some testing out!), nappy rash cream (I also made my own with breast milk), etc. I think I "did" my first year of motherhood as cheaply as possible but it still cost me loads!

Clearly you don't live in Ireland though. We have nappies and a cost of living crisis. Noone has suggested getting everything top of the range.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

Worth every penny of it, yes they are expensive - especially the older they get, but it is manageable. One earner household here so have no outgoings for creches etc... if the OH was to work, most of their wages would probably be gone on childcare costs, taxes, commute costs, etc... so not worth it. Kids are into a fair few activities and have to say the GAA is brilliant value for them to partake in. Irish Dancing is a money pit though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I can’t remember the last time I saw a young one wheeling a pram

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I got all mine for free... Enjoyed it, too!

Cot from my sister, pram from a friend. (Their babies a bit older, had outgrown them) Breastfeeding, also free.

Luckily I had a washing machine so I washed the nappies! Clothes were constantly handed down to me.

Medical expenses was hard but nowadays most of that is free, too.

It can be done very cheap. I'm not into consumerism, I care enough that my children grow up to a livable planet. They're all healthy!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭esker72

There's a lot of new expense with a baby but there's also lots of things that you just stop spending money on like nights out, meals in restaurants and foreign holidays. You can just end up transferring spend from parents to child, a shift in priorities.

Jaysus - so much judgement in this thread. Judging that costs of children are cheap. Judging parents for buying items for children. Judging childless people who eat out and go on holiday.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

The one good thing about kids is they grow up and become useful

Had my 2 in the garden yesterday. One picking peas ( albeit most left behind) and the other helping me put a roof on a water storage system for the tunnel. It was a good idea getting him to do woodwork this year in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭SodiumCooled

You are advised to buy a new mattress though from what I can see many don’t. I have never seen advice that a new car seat is needed or seen anyone buy one for a 2nd child etc (unless needed due to closeness in age) - no reason at all for that. You are advised not to buy a second hand car seat as you don’t know if it’s been in an accident and compromised but you know the history of your own one. I wouldn’t do it but I see plenty buying second hand car seats also and loads are for sale online.

As for the cost of kids, I think some aspects can be exaggerated e.g. the old jibe about buying nappies etc which are actually cheap (even pampers or other branded ones). The big cost is childcare and college really also lost earnings if the mother doesn’t get paid maternity leave.

I don’t agree with the comment from the op about “choices” leading to needing childcare. Many/most women don’t want to give up on their career even aside from the fact a second wage is needed in most homes nowadays.

I don’t agree with the comment from the op about “choices” leading to needing childcare. Many/most women don’t want to give up on their career even aside from the fact a second wage is needed in most homes nowadays.

'Don't want' is a choice.

Post edited by JCN12 on

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭SodiumCooled

For some it may be a choice, for most it’s not as they simply cannot live on one income. Also many women don’t want to be stuck in the house either.

But my point was more that you say babies aren’t expensive - unless you need childcare as if it’s only occasionally that people need it when in fact the vast majority need childcare so you can’t just dismiss it as a cost for the vast majority of people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,968 ✭✭✭circadian

Advertisement