Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PK@rte.ie (again). The All New (Patrick Kielty) Late Late Show Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

• Registered Users Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I dunno there’s more activity and “life” to it than Tubs version - I think Kielty is more “entertaining” but given his background in comedy there’s no surprise there- American TV is full of ex comedians heading up chat shows.

I wouldn’t call the show “gick” but it’s more “light entertainment” now - it’s not really TLLS anymore but then again it probably hasn’t been TLLS since Gay Byrne left- it’s just another “entertainment” show.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So she is a Woman then because that is what her birth cert says.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Sorolla

I liked the show - good guests - JCVD was a cool guest.

never realised Brady was so witty - he has a lot of grá for Trap.

its a pity James Blunt didn’t get more „talk time“

kielty seems to be enjoying himself

• Registered Users Posts: 23,356 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I can watch this whereas tubridy was unwatchable.

Keilty is clearly quick witted whereas tubridy would be rooting for his cards when something unusual was said.

That said, keilty is a disappointment interview wise. He is not very skilled at asking the questions, better once he gets into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

It's not for everyone for sure, and it's noticeably "different" to Tubridy's version; but even if you were to describe it as gick, there's a distinct and welcome absence of death, misery, and terminal illnesses.....and that alone makes for a welcome change.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭toggle toes

I really enjoyed Friday nights LLS. I think it was the best show so far and it will be interesting to see if there is an increase in audience figures. I just hope the guest list will continue to improve over the coming weeks and months.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Exactly. I gave Tubs the benefit of the doubt for a long time, mainly because in my memory, Tubridy Tonight was also watchable. But it became clear early on in his tenure of the LLS, that he was wholly unsuited to the job. It didn't really matter whether the guest was a Fair City extra, Noel Gallagher or some Hollywood actor, Tubridy just couldn't relate to people and his line of questioning was almost always very poor.

I find PK to be a natural at this. If the MO is to do a light, fluffy interview where the guests are at ease and a few laughs are had, then PK is managing that with ease. It looks at this early stage that the powers that be have decided to completely move away from the topical, parochial coverage of day to day issues in favour of a US/UK style light entertainment chatshow. Had Tubs still been in the hot seat last week, you would fully expect to see Pascal Sheehy and Teresa Mannion come out in waders to talk about the recent flooding in Cork. I'm glad this type of dross might be behind us but I think whatever mix of items is on the show now, it's far more watchable with the new host.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭RoTelly

PK2 unlikely to be unseated over the next 3 years, total adult audience 349,000 against a RWC SF which had 453,000 viewers. I am sure the newspapers will see this as a drop!

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,422 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Except for the Toy Shows I only watched one RT LLS.

I've watched all the PK2 ones so far and mostly enjoyed them. I think not knowing who the guests are is a big bonus. Makes it more like the GB days.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,356 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

No misery .....tick

No guests from the canteen..... tick

Guests that don't have a book to sell...... well 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭corkie

Strictly's Anton Du Beke will be waltzing into the studio, on This Morning. Will he be on LLS this Friday?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

If he has a book to flog then it is almost certain he will be on

The Late Late book promotion Show!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,780 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Same old disaster of a route for selecting our Eurovision entry again....zzz

1:47 in

I heard this from the 80s/90s a few days ago. Imagine Christy writing it now and saying we're going to miss Tubridy\Kielty and The Late Late Show!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Karppi

“The Head of Delegation”? What a jumped up title.

Earlier this year, Ireland did not reach the Grand Final of Eurovision for the eighth time in the past ten years. It was 2013 when the current Head of Delegation took up the role. Instead of blaming - variously over the years - “crooked juries”, “chronic underfunding”, maybe it’s time for some fresh thinking to be injected by bringing new blood into the vanguard of the “Delegation”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭John arse

Anybody would think they're deliberately trying to do badly so they don't have to host it Ted???🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭archfi

Re-Eurovision more than likely being banished (yes, banished!) to the LLS again.

I'd be in favour of no selection show on RTE, no public voting because the TV voting public are thick as **** and I'd be in favour of Europeans picking our entry but the stumbling block would be who would select the final few songs because the rot starts from that bit IMO (RTE & luvvieworld useless feckers are involved there)

Anyhow, who has a book out this week so as I can plan not to tune in tonight.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭supereurope

I don't want to turn this into a Eurovision thread...but I can't believe this. The LLS selection format is not working - and when most Eurovision countries find themselves struggling and left behind in the semis, they shake up their selection format. But not RTÉ - the attitude seems to be "it's broken so don't fix it." There's something to be said for going internal when the public don't seem to do a very good job of picking a winner (which the UK started doing), but if the songs submitted to an internal selection are rubbish too, what hope is there?

And before anyone says "Lesley Roy was internal and she still finished last", her song was actually fine, but whoever was responsible for her staging should have been sacked. Not sure why they thought making her do an assault course on stage while still having to sing in tune was a good idea.

I had hoped that Sweden tying with us on total number of wins would wake RTÉ up a bit. Nope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭corkie

@archfi Anyhow, who has a book out this week so as I can plan not to tune in tonight.

Strictly's Anton Du Beke

• Registered Users Posts: 82,565 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Looks like Spencer, Vogue's husband is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,597 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Yo.

• Ryan there on RTE news in back row of funeral service of one the Blackrock abuse victims. He cuts a lovely figure.

Which one of tonight's guests will say 'so good to be here in Belfast'?

• Where’s the kitteh & puppeh?

Would be good if Tubs emerged from the coffin, just for the audience reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,971 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Daniel was too cool to be on the Country Special wants his own episode...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Like this light-heartedness, no lecturing… tut-tutting at us

• Advertisement

Ten million albums sold over a forty year period?

Not that great, let's be honest.

More than me, though. 😁

Advertisement