Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2023 RWC Buildup, Squads, Fixtures 'etc'

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭McFly85

They got 6 of their points tonight from 2 ridiculous refereeing decisions. They had a SA who had an unbelievably draining QF against France. They had weather that suited their game and didn’t suit SA.

They had loads go their way tonight and still lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,844 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

By not scoring try’s and sappy draws?

England went out because their limits were exposed.

Only one team wins this thing, if you can’t beat an eventual finalist and possible winner, there is no shame in that.

England can be proud of the fight they showed tonight but it won’t matter to them where they went out, only that they went out.

Can’t speak for the Irish team but it matters not to me that we went out in a QF. Could have been a final, result is the same, we lost. It’s over and as of now, I’m over it. Go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Unflushable Turd

They avoided any potential banana skins, something Ireland haven’t done in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,498 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

But france are better than New Zealand and South Africa are better than france, ergo South Africa are better than New Zealand. But wait…we’re better than South Africa 🤯

“By not scoring try’s (sic) and sappy draws”. Is that all you’ve got? You can only play what’s in front of you. Shocking that it was only them who knew when the draw would be made/seeded, eh?

Glad you’re over it 😉 Be waiting another 4 years to go again, but sure we might beat NZ in a test match in the meantime

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I can understand why people want to be absolutist about this ‘we beat England the last four years and they got a good draw’; but the thing I find interesting is their ability to bring a ferocious challenge on the biggest stage that they didn’t look at all capable of a year ago.

Across a 20 year period where we have regularly beaten England or gone toe to toe with them in the six nations, they have a World Cup, two runners up appearances and a semi final decided by a point.

You can say it’s just luck, if you want.

Nonetheless delighted SA got over the line, makes for a better final next week imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

But in this World Cup who did they actually beat that’s a top side? We would have won that group at a canter, they would have struggled to get out of ours. We would have beat Fiji , they barely got over the line against them. In this World Cup they did nothing that requires praise or something to emulate. Regardless neither of us got to the final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭OldRio

The west brits are out in force tonight.

You lost. Get over it.

Ireland beat SA your team didn't.

You have to wait too mate.

I dare say yours will be one full of bile and bitterness.

Maybe try ballet, less soul destroying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Ah Lloyd, just read what's in front of you. England are not good at all. I wonder what price you'd get on Borthwick being in the job still by the time the 6 nations in 2025 rolls around. They are turgid. Absolutely everything went right for them tonight and they still lost. There would have been no complaints if they won but it still wouldn't mask the fact that are in a very bad place at the moment. Ireland are levels above them.

• Advertisement

SA didn’t handle their vulnerability well.

Always likely England might use that. I said it earlier in thread.

SA did enough to win and didn’t panic.

Ultimately England played their currently classic game with some passion but it came up short.

SA will offer NZ a different challenge in my opinion, the lacuna will be gone and we may see the team that played France again.

Glad it’s them in the final tbh but understand English disappointment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I didn’t think they were any good in 2007 or 2019 either, tbh. Just **** sickened they have been able to get more joy on this stage even when we’ve generally had their number the last two decades every spring. That’s all.

You’ve lost me now. Ballet? What the **** are you on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

SA about as fun to watch as England. Neither team can create much. SA feed off mistakes but England don't ever try and play from their own half so that blunts that strategy. SA win by getting scrum penalties in the last 15 minutes. Dreadful but winning rugby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I was hoping England would win tonight. I will pretty much (sans someone like Jones being in charge maybe) always support England against one of the big three SH teams and against this particular South African side, I don't have to think twice once. It's just a rugby thing that was ingrained. I'm not going to judge anyone for not agreeing.

There's been a few references to West Brits in the last few pages. Does me wanting England to win make me a West Brit?

(I even live in the Pale and I'm a Leinster STH if that tips the scales)

Because if you think it does, that's a bit of a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I think SA were drained after their quarter final last week, that was a big leveler today. It was a mistake going with the same starting 15, doubly so if they start them all again next weekend.

NZ will be much fresher and know how to win these big games, they'll be comfortable in the end next weekend.

You have to wait 4 years too.

I’m going to do it by being positive and not full of bile and bitterness.

You are going to whinge about fait accompli’s and what we shoulda done couldn’t do.

Maybe rugby is not for you.

I suggested an alternative- ballet? Sit back, no winners or losers and nice legs whether you are into men or women. Much less taxing on you.

Got a rare visit into the English 22 and scored the 7 points.

Didn’t think they’d lose after that. Huge effort from Eng but a very one dimensional team who caught an out sorts SA and looked good for 75 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭typhoony

As much as I dislike the English style of play I was hoping they would win for the same reason that I wanted Wales and Scotland to lose. The World Cup vote remember England actually voted for Ireland to host it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

That is the worst reason for supporting England! Our bid for this WC was **** and vastly inferior to France's. We can't hold not voting for us against other nations, they are entitled to vote for the bid which they perceive to be the best.

• Advertisement

You seem super salty. “Bile and bitterness” 😂 get up the yard will you ffs. I’ll do what I do every other year and support Ireland, but I won’t get into the hype of us being the best in the world until it’s done when it matters, in a WC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

When it comes to 6 nations I reserve my most "hatred" (it's not real hatred just sporting hatred which is not so deep) for the good old yellow bellied Scot's!

Wales which are essentially a county of England dont seem to get my back up quite so much lol!

Of course it's easy and pretty natural to "hate" on the English!

I don’t do hype. One game at a time. And one team at a time.

I don’t attribute the failings of past teams to the present ones.

Every game/tournament/ game and challenge is different and circumstances are.

The bitter stink raised by those who thought we had some sort of right to win, that the players made a balls off is nauseating.

They are flat out trying to suggest there was a bottle by players who won 17 games on the trot, some of them scintillating.

Take your bitterness elsewhere. It’s useless.

Doing a lot of pontificating about bitterness tonight for a man who’s definitely not bitter, Francie 🥱

Sick reading you and others. Won’t deny that.

Are you not able to accept a loss, without the need ti demean? Why would you follow a team if you can’t?

There’s an ignore button, Francis. If a different perspective upsets you that much, I’d suggest using it. I’m as entitled to my opinions as you are to yours.

I’m not trying to demean anyone, but I won’t get caught up in the hype when we’ve seen the same thing happen again and again.

I could ask, by the same token, why you’re trying to demean England, when they were a couple of points from another final having shown no form for about 2 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭Greengrass53

What a ridiculous notion. We lost the bid because it was rubbish. France have put on a wonderful event, can you imagine us coming anywhere near them. Get real and grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Tommybojangles

I hate England as much as the next man, probably more, but I think itish people saying there's nothing we could learn from them is a bit rich.

Whatever about their style of play, lack of ambition, etc, they almost invariably get every last drop of potential from themselves in world cups and relish the big moments. Making the 07 and 19 finals ffs with the teams they had. Bringing up draws is all well and good, but we had 'favourable' draws in 11 and 15 don't forget and didn't manage to take advantage.

Delighted they lost and I'd back us to beat them every day of the weak but if you don't think we could learn something from them you're kidding yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,186 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Come to really dislike Matt Williams's opinions of the game. South Africa's comeback through their set piece was fascinating yet all he talked about was how it's ruining the game.

I think he's just fundamentally wrong about it too. The scrum is an area where fewer penalties are awarded these days, so seeing a team get such dominance just adds an extra layer of drama to the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Cill94

Because England have on average been better than us at peaking for the World Cup, and they go into it genuinely expecting to win.

Advertisement