Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭lilywhitearmy

Well Dave! How are you!

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭lolie

This, even worse he refers to them as "absolute legends".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

So this week Dave described both U2/The Sphere and a half loaded Aertel page as phenomenal. I'm not sure what to think of The Sphere now tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Anyone know why Pamela seemed to be replaced mid-air by Stephen Daly today, not even an hour into the show? Was all very abrupt, hope nothing serious happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Came here to ask the same thing. Hope it was just that she didn't feel well and nothing more serious.

The fact they didn't address it makes me wonder though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

Was it not Ben Murray? I thought it was Stephen at first but he has a somewhat deeper voice.

Hopefully Pamela is okay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Louise Cantillon is in for Pamela today.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭EveryoneKnowsNobodyCares

The Top 500 songs was a great idea... but I'm not sure if the end result proved to be actually all that great. I wish I'd seen the voting form.

Some thoughts on Today FM, and I'm kinda attempting to address what I've read over the past few pages here:

1. The playlist is infuriatingly repetitive. 
      1. Certain songs come up so often that you'd swear they were the best thing since sliced bread back in their time. "Shorty got low, low, low, low, low, low, low, low" needs to get lost, lost, lost, etc for a while. Also (and this goes for every station that limits its playlist to the previous 20-ish years), there's absolutely nothing wrong with throwing in the occasional oldie every five or six songs. When's the last time Wuthering Heights or Vienna got played on Today FM? I don't think the Gen Zs (if they even listen; maybe Millennials instead) will suddenly turn off their radios just because one of Barry White's smooth spoken intros suddenly comes on. In fact they should make it into a feature where they play a classic from ages ago that a lot of people mightn't have heard in ages if at all.
      2. Who chooses the playlist anyway? Yes, it's safe, that much is true. Seventeen Going Under was a massive hit in the second half of 2021 before finally getting played in January 2022 (and ironically being a question several times on Fergal Darcy's Grand National). Do record companies pay the station to keep their songs on the playlist? I think DJs should have a bit of leeway into what gets played, even if it's just the last couple of songs on their show when their shift is nearly done and someone new is about to take over anyway.
    2. Dempsey's show is grand. He sounds natural and he's been doing it now for decades. Waffle is a decent quiz, it's the luck of the draw what you get and it's worth a listen.
    3. It's true that Dermot & Dave worked so well cos they were able to bounce off each other. It was natural I thought and they just had the craic. Dermot's now gone but I don't care that Dave overuses "legend" or "unbelievable", maybe I've unwittingly grown used to it. Also, I don't care about the guest announcer one way or another, although I probably should just to prove I'm not a psychopath. Not sure what it brings to the table however.
    4. Music Master is a great quiz. I admit it goes on for ages but maybe that's a simple ploy to keep you listening. It would probably be better if they took caller 2 immediately after caller 1 finishes, although maybe for the length of time #1 is on the phone, they don't want #2 hanging on waiting, so they do #1, and then ring #2 while a song is on. And I appreciate they have to make their money, hence the ad break. But I love the quiz itself, the question are a huge range of genres and eras, and at least the bonus rounds are something different each time. I doubt though that someone like Mimi Webb deserves a place as an answer to the final round. But I love a good quiz, particularly an epic one, and I listen or listen back to this one always.
    5. Nothing against Pamela Joyce. Truth be told, I don't listen to her, so I don't know if she has any good pieces in her show. Poll dance, meh, just play both songs. But she's intelligent and a Gaeilgeoir; therefore everything bad that everyone else has to say about her is wrong. The end.
    6. Ed Smith's old 8-10 show (National Anthems, I believe) was musically the best show on the station. It would seem he was in charge of the playlist. There was a mix of the better of the usual playlist songs and the indie/rock bangers from all eras, plus his throwback thing where he'd pick a year and play great music from that year, and you could message in your requests. There was variety in it. Sadly after Paul McCloone left and Ed got pushed to 10-12, although the music is still great, the playlist seems less, I dunno, personally curated? Yep, there's that word again.
    7. Ray Foley can be a pain. But there's good in his too. God it's late and I can't think to hell you what though and I don't care.
    8. Matt Cooper's The Last Word is grand, it is what it is. It's good that it's not a painting-by-numbers copy of, say, RTE Radio 1's Drivetime and had bits like The Culture Club in it, plus the regular Marian McKeown vs Cal Thomas bit which I enjoy whenever I hear it.
    9. Irish: Anyone who hates to hear a bit of their ancestors' language on the radio in the country where it's still spoken can burn their passport. Tá tír dheas gar dúinn, b'fhéidir gur cheart duit bogadh ansin agus bheith i do shaoránach. Sasana an t'ainm uirthi, agus níl ach Béarla le cloisteáil i do thír dhúchais nua.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

On point 2b, I am convinced that whichever record company stupidly decided to sign Cian Ducroix is now spending fortunes to have his terrible songs played multiple times a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

It's Louise Cantillon that's the gaelgóir, not Pamela Blake, but otherwise agree with you 100%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,768 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Cian Ducrot is an Irish artist, and so everything he produces or does is amazing. Didn't you know that's how it works on irish radio? When was the last time you heard any dj say otherwise?

Add to this, he also writes those mushy love songs which irish radio love so much. He is guaranteed constant radio plays a la Ed Sheeran, Dermot Kennedy, Gavin James, Lewis Capaldi, James Vincent McMorrow .....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭its_steve116

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I know, but the only station I can say I've ever heard him on during the day was TXFM (RIP)

OK, I'll take out JVMM.

But you get the gist.

Nooo, Pamela Joyce! I dunno anything about the other two ladies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

I do think it’s right that Pamela Joyce is a Gaelgoir but she doesn’t make it as well-known as Louise Cantillon.

I don’t know who Pamela Blake is to say if they’re also a Gaelgoir. Were they on TodayFM?

No, it's Pamela Joyce I meant. Didn't know she was also a gaelgóir, I've never heard her use Irish, but good to know. Pamela Blake was me having a brainfart due to lack of coffee - she's a producer, not a presenter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,144 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

On your first point, being an Irish artist isn't enough. One Irish group who have won critical acclaim across the world, numerous awards and supported the Arctic Monkeys in their US tour in the summer NEVER get played on Today FM since Paul McCloone left and Ed got neutered as another posted brilliantly described it.

Your 2nd point is spot on however.

Would that band happen to have members from Skerries, Mayo, Monaghan and, erm, Madrid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,144 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

The Madrid connection of one of them excludes them from being Irish is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭hold my beer

What band is it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

Fontaines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭RINO87

Yeah, I'm p r e t t y sure she is, I seem to remember her flying out a bit of the lingo one day. My estimation of her went suas tríd an díon as a result.

I wonder what it is that Fontaines DC did to piss off whoever comes up with the Today FM playlist? The total absence from the airwaves - even from Ed's show - has to be deliberate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Tom Dunne has played them a bit on Newstalk. Don't remember any the last while though

• Advertisement

Which is strange considering every irish band or artist is AMAZING according to every single dj on every irish radio station.

Not mainstream enough?

Advertisement