Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

He doesn't get to implement "his" game plan. Cullen is still the head coach and unless there has been a seismic shift he is still in charge of selection. Something Lancaster commented upon frequently.

I suspect it's just a case of bodies available. Even if you were going to have a strategy of 6-2, why would you do it to get Will Connors on the bench?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

As I said it could just be a coincidence, but if there is a 6-2 frequently this season, you can be sure it’s from Nienabar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

It'll be a coincidence. Leinster have named 6-2 benches before. If I start seeing 7-1 benches, I'll believe it's Nienaber.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Yeah, I'd say the URC opener is first thing on his mind this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

As per the article above, he is in constant contact with Leinster.

It could well be a coincidence but I would not be surprised to see Leinster using a 6-2 split a lot this season. I don’t see how this is such a leap given what SA have done.

I personally hope they don’t as that will certainly have an impact on Ireland squads moving forward.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

SA are playing 5-3 again this week.

Connors first game last season was in the 23 shirt in a 6-2 split.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

That Pollard long penalty to win a tight and nervy knockout game makes me think back to Leinster not taking on that 45m kick late in the Euro Final last season. Weird decision for me. You've got to grab those chances when they present themselves to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,528 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Leinster are in a funny poition where they kick everything's to the corner barbarian schtyle all season, until the really hard games.

It's great to watch but they could probably benefit from dialing it back and going for points more through the season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Just watched it again; it's actually 5m in from touch, not 15m in, so 50m out instead of 45m.

Suppose that makes it more understandable, but even so a 50m kick to go 2 points up with 4 minutes left sounds very attractive knowing how the game ended.

Can Ross Byrne kick them from halfway? We don't know, because, as you say, that's not how Leinster played the game then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Ross was not connecting terribly well on his kicks that day. A lot of those that went over were scrappy looking. Not a great set up for a 50m clutch kick with time against you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Leinster worked themselves in front of the posts in that next passage of play but didn't line up a drop goal, think that was where the game could have been won

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭conquestscarer

I disagree, I think we lost two cc finals by switching to the 3 point style you say. Our style of play suits trys and not 3 points. Conceding territory in both finals killed us. I feel a lot of commentators fail to take into account the territory loss from hitting over a penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

IIRC Ross Byrne was in the pocket and working the ball into position for a DG but JGP twice threw long passes back to the short side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,183 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Yep. Squidge Rugby did a very good video on how the Champions Cup final was won/lost. IIRC he highlighted the forwards setting up specific pods and tight carries in order to manufacture a DG. Byrne got on the pocket but JGP played for a short side try instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

JGP has a had a poor 6 months.

Can be a very good player when playing behind a dominant pack. He gets the fast ball he craves.

He is not as good when he comes under pressure. His decision making can be very questionable.

I'd worry about him without sexton directing him around the field this season.

We saw against Australia last November with Crowley and v La rochelle this year with Byrne that he is often not on the same wave length as the outhalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Park has been meh. Hopefully, Foley can get up to speed. We need more options.

I don't necessarily agree that JGP has been in poor form. He's just a streaky player by nature. He does all the great stuff we've come to expect. Very quick to the ruck and to sling a pass out, or to make a quick snipe. He's a very fast thinker and is always a threat. That comes with its own risks when the ball is slowed and he can't play at the pace he wants. He's far better now than he was when he joined at least. Great scrum half and one of the better 9s in world rugby.

My biggest concern is his lack of competition for when we need to freshen up from the bench. I don't know what has happened to Luke McGrath, but in the last few seasons he just hasn't performed anywhere near well enough. Especially with regards to his passing. I thought he had sorted that a few years ago, but it has once again reverted to being slow and inaccurate.

I'd be all for dropping him out of the 23 entirely if there was anyone coming up behind him. Foley looks promising, but it's just too early to tell. Same with Fintan Gunne. One of these guys needs to come through not only as an eventual replacement to JGP, but as someone to challenge McGrath maybe even this season.

Also need some competition at openside flanker as well. VDF has been brilliant for years now , but he's at risk of being flogged for Ireland and Leinster. He's also not going to be at his very best for every game either.

We can't help that Leavy and Connors have been plagued with injury, but we've to hope that Penny continues his upwards development and that another 7 comes through the academy and schools system

Maybe any injury free run for Connors would help as well. It's easy to forget that he's incredibly inexperienced for his age. He's 27 years old but has fewer than 50 caps between Leinster and Ireland. He came onto the scene pretty much from nowhere and was utterly comfortable at the highest level. Would love to see him regain form and have an uninterrupted run of games.

Helluva lot of offloading from Glasgow already. Exerting all the pressure, but Leinster are defending pretty well for the most part. Need some of the ball eventually though. Can't defend the entire game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Leinster need to get their hands on the ball for a bit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Line out nowhere near straight there

Poor from Leinster really.

Nobody holds on to Darge after he's tackled. The defensive line folds across but he has a mile of space to get back up and run through the middle. Try Glasgow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Shehal

Leinster have been trying to gift Glasgow a try for 13 minutes now, finally they get the memo. Also that tackle is totally unacceptable for a player of Ngatai's experience.

Been impressed with Jack Boyle's open play contribution. Carries strongly and seems a nuisance at the breakdown.

Two trys for Glasgow out of nothing really. Looked like Leinster overcommitted to steal a bouncing ball and got caught short in wide defence.

One thing the World Cup has shown is that referees need to stop 'coaching' players at the breakdown.

Evans told the Glasgow player twice to release the Leinster player. Then after he released he told him to do it quicker. That should have been our penalty.

How many times now have the Glasgow players "fallen" onto the Leinster 9?

Ah that's awful for McKee. Looks like a calf/hamstring injury. Barron comes on as a substitute.

Not quite clicking in attack. Making some good ground initially up front and getting into a decent attacking shape behind. But the final pass isn't sticking.

Adorable how Glasgow are trying to beat Leinster using the dark arts...

• Advertisement

That's excellent from Boyle. Low down carry just in front of the Glasgow line. Got right underneath the tacklers.

Advertisement