Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2023 RWC Buildup, Squads, Fixtures 'etc'

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

My report cards for each team

Knockout qualifiers

New Zealand - only a win will be seen as success. Talk of demise greatly exaggerated.

South Africa - same as NZ. Will have huge retirements in next few years.

England - will be happy where they got but will know draw was kind and playing style needs to become more varied.

Argentina - same as England

Ireland - ultimately disappointed to go out when they did but played great rugby and firmly at the top table

France - same as Ireland, but expect them to get a bit of 6 nations dominance in next 2 years anyway

Fiji - massive potential and talent but need to cut out mistakes and inconsistencies to be competitive. Hope they get more exposure in next 4 years

Wales - lucky to top group and great win v Australia but could have easily lost v Fiji and did lose only other serious match v arg. Disappointing.

Non qualifiers

Scotland - not quite there like they thought they might be. Played to their potential last few years but peaked and still not a threat at business end

Italy - no meaningful wins since 2015 world cup up until very recently but proved a false dawn. Extremely feeble efforts v NZ and France, never going to win but could have competed at least

Samoa - time to take advantage of new rules and get some big names playing, guys currently close to NZ level but not being picked. Not ABs from 8 years ago. Need better discipline too

Tonga - similar to Samoa, the big names they got in are well past it but might be a start at least.

Japan - fell away from the heights of 4 years ago, maybe no surprise there. Have the resources to stay competitive at least.

Namibia and Romania - both very poor

Uruguay,Chile and Portugal - be very proud. Small nations, small resources, big hearts. Portugal in particular play outstanding rugby but can't compete physically at 15s

Australia - please sort yourselves out. Grew up watching some great teams and players and now are a poor shadow. Get rid of Jones too if he's not already gone. Biggest disappointment of the entire tournament

Georgia - again disappointing, one of the teams touted as genuine tier 1 inductees but hasn't happened yet. Plenty of power but that's all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Six Nations should be grand next year.

Its a good competition, at a slack time in the sporting world and signifies the end of winter for me.

The top 4 can usually beat each other on any given year and even the waster Scots can spring the odd surprise. Unlike the RWC pool stages you usually have at least 1 top game per round too.

The danger for it I guess is if the likes of England and Wales fall away and are no longer competitive.

Id rather see a competitive six nations than Ireland or France dominating it even if it meant we didnt win it for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Shehal

France arent getting 6N dominance when Ireland are present. What we learn over this cycle is don't believe what the media tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So Ireland's tournament took them against the two finalists on the end, while England didn't meet a competent opponent til the semis - and they either had an off day or were flummoxed by England's neanderthal rugby. Doesn't seem fair, whatever way its spun. It did show how thin the margins are at the summit cos both our games could have gone the other way & the result would have still felt fair. This is a poor reflection of the health of world rugby though that there are 4 teams then a huge gap, last night notwithstanding.

Even if this wasn't quite the low of 2007, it does feel like the worst, most tedious joke in world rugby has become codified; Ireland can't win a knockout game to save their life. Not sure what needs to happen to change that. Imagine Ireland and England swapped, how those Pools might have gone. Oh well. More than others this felt like the one that got away.

I cannot abide that two otherwise mediocre sides made it to the semis, even if England's performance last night does deserve earnest credit. I'm not sure there's some X Factor they have that we don't, I think they were massively lucky their Pool rivals were met when they were on their own terrible run of form.

As to the tournament itself? I think this showed that SF stage notwithstanding , the gulf between the top 4 sides and the rest is huge - and growing. COVID did a number on a bunch of the Tier 1.5 sides but still; there's something that needs changing, cos with England Wales and Australia's local federations in serious bother - a rethink is needed. Portugal added some gloss on what was an otherwise disappointing iteration for the lower ranked sides too; Italy should be ashamed of themselves and I wonder if Uruguay might feel frustrated they couldn't capitalise on that shoddy Italian squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,266 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

If we'd gotten England's draw we'd have made the final pretty easily I think. SA looked way better against us in the group stages than they did against England yesterday and we still beat them. We'd have put 40 points on both Samoa and Fiji. A bit of luck is the only thing were missing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Musicrules

I think both these facts about the World Cup are commonly accepted:

1. We had our best ever team
    2. These were the worst New Zealand, England and Australian teams to enter a World Cup

The South African team also wasn't considered great by their standards, Wales and Scotland average and France a bit unknown.

I think the tournament has backed up fact number 2 above. It has been quite poor on quality, only a handful of good matches. Unfortunately, we didn't live up to our billing as the best team inn the World. Will there ever be an opportunity again where all these countries have such poor teams by their standards? It was there for the taking, even a dreadful England nearly made the final. We're going to look back on this World Cup with huge regret.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Would have been England's 5th final. And what was this ridiculous decision?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,544 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

NZ will hammer SA in the final.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I can guarantee average ticket sales will be down for the French home games compared to 2023. And that the total will be up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

That's just about 100% wrong. England played a full-strength team against Samoa while SA had the last week off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭hold my beer

No. What reason? People love sport in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,498 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

A South African player flopped over the ruck in the last minute and just lay in there wrong side. As the panel said on VM, it’s a penalty in any other minute of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I was just thinking about fosters comments last week when he said some teams have won the world cup without being really tested , they had such an easy route. I'm pretty sure he was referring to south Africa 2019. There might be some spice in this final. Whichever team wins this one has certainly been tested, probably the most difficult world cup in history.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It sounds like such a broken record, and it is, but the draw was completely lopsided - if only cos half the teams on the opposite side to ours have been having such a collosal drop in form; any of the 4 from France, ourselves, NZ and South Africa would have massacred the teams on the other side of the fence, as you suggest. Especially that Cheika Argentine squad, hoo boy what a waste of talent. It has been infuriating - even if our side conjured up some crackers because of the early meet of the top seeds, by rights it should have only happened by the semis.

But hey, 2023 was a bust and a really disappointing one.

We'll probably get the luck when our team is substandard and like England leave the neutrals aghast with some later version of neanderthal rugby.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Really?

Im not doubting you, but if NZ win it, they will have won 2 tough games. Surely a previous winner had to do more than that?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I mean, England in 03 had to play South Africa, France Australia. NZ in 2015 had France, South Africa, Australia.

It would be much of a muchness with those, but the difference is both these teams will have lost a match!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,614 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Were the English team in 2003 the strongest WC winning side ever?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Jacovs

I didnt hear it during the game, but seems Bongi might be in a bit of trouble, if proven true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

That was a good team but they were already in decline in the world cup. I'd go for NZ 2015 as the best. Australia 99 also very strong team.

For sake of debate I'd go strongest to weakest

NZ 2015

Eng 2003

Aus 1999

SA 1995

Aus 1991

NZ 1987

SA 2007

NZ 2011

SA 2019

• Advertisement

I think the 1999 Aus team has a strong argument for best of all time. Tri Nations, WC and Lions wins in a short space of time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The WC didn’t really interest NH teams back then.

Not at all all accurate statement. SH had the advantage from getting a jump into professionalism

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭StevenToast

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,614 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Hugely interested then. England is the home of Rugby. The 5 nations back then were hugely involved from the start..France and England came close in 1987 and 1991 respectively. France and England making finals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

It wasn’t full immersion as it is now, more like an after the ‘real season’ tour game from what I remember of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Movementarian

Mm I think in the hearing:

Bongi: In my defense your honor, what I said......I mean it's true

Judge:.....lol yeah you're right, case dismissed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Apparently in Afrikaans “whit kant” = white side.

Maybe this is a storm in a teacup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

New Zealand in 1987 for me , they won every game with ease and the final (against a great French team ) with relative ease

England in 2003 were great too , they were more or less the same team as 1999 when a freakish performance by South African Jannie de beer ( five drop goals)saw them come unstuck in the QF

New Zealand in 2015 is up there too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

1999 was a very poor WC, the exception being the classic semi final between France and New Zealand, France did what they often do and didn’t show up following their legendary second half performance v The All Blacks

I wouldn’t place either of the winning Australian teams near the top , 1991 was also a poor WC, New Zealand were old at that stage and England had been dominating the five nations with their awful ten man game

Advertisement