Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭OnlyWayIsUp

Probably just waiting for Tubbs to pay them back before they announce.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,857 ✭✭✭billyhead

McCarthy left out of player of the year nominations. Crazy decision. I know he wasn't exceptional in the AI final but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Dont Be at It

It's a bit of a surprise but it's not crazy. He had a poor final. It definitely would have had a feel of a lifetime achievement award had he won it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Has to be Clifford. James McCarthy is a great player, but didn't have an exceptional year. He had some important moments, but like you say it would definitely have been in the form of a lifetime award. If, say a 25 year old had the same season James had, not much notice would be taken off him. But David Clifford has been outstanding almost all season. Can't play great every game, and he wasn't great in the final. But he almost single handed brought his club to an All Ireland Final (along with backup from the brother). And he led Kerry to the All-Ireland final. Overall, he has been the best player in Ireland over the past year.

Post edited by flasher0030 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭thesultan

Was Brendan Rodgers more consistent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,774 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Ah the last time I would probably have paid any heed to the all-stars was when Dublin were struggling to win even in Leinster. Looking for some bit of hope.

It is not really an award it is more of political decision. Would be better off with an all star team from each league division, in my view. Get a proper spread.

Instead we get fellas like David Clarke getting an all star the year he let in two own goals, but last year in Leinster Mulroy was stand out for Louth and he would never get one.

Then there is the consistent players like Cluxton or James McCarthy. It is assumed that they will play well and have to do something really exceptional to get an all star. They are put on a much higher bar than other players would be. And don't get me started about how they switch players around to fit into an all star team - different positions.

The split is always heavily weighted towards the final as well 12 positions between the finalists, and 3 other ones from other teams.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Dessie staying on for two more years didn't think that would be the case about six months ago .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

#DessieOut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Wasn't sure what Dessie would do. Thought he might walk away at the top and have a well earned rest. Good to see the hunger is there for more success.

• Advertisement

Fantastic game today between Raheny and Crokes. Anyone there will remember it. Funniest part was all the small kids running around to go behind the goal where the penalties were taken. Fair play to Barrog putting up to Clontarf in senior 2. Clontarf finished their chances and Barrog didn’t.

To be honest the way Clontarf play annoys me. They do too much passing for the sake of it. When they go a bit more direct they look dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭OnlyWayIsUp

I see it was reported last week that the big name brand that was to sign a new sponsorship with Dublin has pulled out.

I think AIG’s sponsorship ends at the end of this month so I’d imagine that the county board would want the new company on board asap and in time for Christmas.

anyone hearing any other rumours?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

A few mock up suggestions for dublins new sponsors.

I thought you were going to throw in a sneaky Kerry Gold sponsor. I think I still have an original 1996 Dublin Arrotts one somewhere The 1995 one disintegrated.

Kalibar was the first Dublin sponsor back in 1990

https://www.rte.ie/archives/collections/news/21406702-kaliber-to-sponsor-gaa/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

Ha. Well it's not my work. It's Killarney based sports journalist, Adam Moynihan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

New sponsor deal as apparently collapsed. Wonder if there's a plan b sponsor.

Boden v Vinnies extra time in hurling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Dublin GAA Podcast on Senior 1 final Boden v Crokes (Live on TG4 Sunday 4pm)- Coman Goggins giving his prediction

Fingalians v Clontarf Senior 2 will be streamed on Dubs TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Will the intermediate football final be streamed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Longford or Meath our 1st opponents next year in our quest for the 2 in a row 💙

I doubt it, the last one I remember that was streamed was the intermediate final from O'Toole Park during the Covid. Back in 2020.

A shame they did not continue streaming it, as most intermediate teams are well met, by the latter stages.

County football final today contested between the two southside giants. Kilmacud have won 10 titles since their first in 1992 and Ballyboden who have won four since their first in 1995. Kilmacud going for three in a row. Kilmacud the dominant team by far in Dublin since their first win with Vincents winning five in that time their closest competitor. Live on TG4 at 16.00 for those not going.

Turned out a lovely day for the match .Went as a neutral so second half was really one way traffic with the result never in doubt .Has to be said a very poor crowd there today clearly a lot of the members of those clubs are not that invested in following the senior team .I know there are reasons for people not to go but the county final should be testing the capacity of PP really .

Up to 10,000 members between both clubs. Last i heard Crokes were fielding 160 teams and Boden not far off. They really are two giants.

Seems to me a lot of parents bring their youngsters to games which is good but have no real connection with the senior teams .If the kids drop off the parents are gone too .The ground today must have being about a third full if that .

Yea didn't go myself. For the huge crowds our senior county team gets our attendances at club games is paltry. Nothing new there and i'm guilty myself not attending club games. Still though enjoyed the game on tv first half was good Crokes masterclass second half.

It really is an unfair advantage they have compared to most of the other clubs in Dublin. The money they can invest in top class facilities puts other clubs to shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Qwerty27

Went along yesterday as a neutral and as a non Dub, it really was a non event. My native county goes all out on county final day, band, flags of all clubs, parade before game etc and gets a very heathly crowd, with a lot of neutrals in attendance. Even the programme hadnt much effort put into it, again comparing it with my own county, there was no historcial look back at other finals, scores, roll of honour, summary of the year. Attendance was poor as well considering the "super" clubs involved.

Anyway, reason I posted was linked to the programme. Parnells were in the intermediate final but I didnt spot the name of S. Cluxton. Is it the case he doenst bother with the club or is he resting up for the O'Byrne cup?!

• Advertisement

I think Cluxton plays Junior only. It goes back to when Parnell's had a number of different county players on the books and lads coming through underage were overlooked.

Advertisement